• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2015 Overstreet's top 20 Golden Age books.

60 posts in this topic

Looking at the actual top sales prices for a copy would get you this:

1. Action 1

2. D 27

3. Flash 1

4. MC 1

5. CA 1

6. Whiz 2

7. Batman 1

8. Action 10

9. Superman 1

10. MF 52

Deceptive, I know, because it depends on the quality of the copy being sold.

As much as I like the Spectre More Fun run, I'm surprised that MF52 made the top ten sales list. That book's popularity has been on the wane for a long time now.

If a high-grade Tec 31, Tec 29, or Action 7 had changed hands, I think any one of those would have bumped MF52 off the list.

I could see Cap 1 getting up to #5, but there is no way it displaces Supes 1 at #3. I also think it's a long shot at best to leapfrog Batman 1.

+1

Same way that I see it with the 2 big boys on top followed by Supes #1 and Bat #1.

Best that Cap will ever do is to make it up to the #5 slot and that's about it.

AA 16 is a top 4 book IMO (I know others that agree and disagree) GA Key of a major name in the DC Universe and it's really the scarcity (census and availability )that gives this book it's extra specialness...tons of Bats 1's, a lot of Cap 1's, and even Flash 1's are not hard to comeby necessarily.

I know they list the top 100, but I'm only going to list the top 20 here.

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Superman #1

4. All American Comics #16

5. Marvel Comics #1

6. Batman #1

7. Captain America Comics #1

8. Action Comics #7

9. Pep Comics #22

10. Detective Comics #31

11. Action Comics #10

11. Flash Comics #1

13. Whiz Comics #2

14. Detective Comics #29

15. Action Comics #2

15. Archie Comics #1

15. More Fun Comics #52

18. Detective Comics #33

19. Adventure Comics #40

20. All Star Comics #8

agree? disagree?

See my thoughts below for what they are worth:

I know this is a list based on percentage increase for the year and not overall actual demand, but I thought that Batman #1 would have moved up to either the 5 or 4 position, but there was no change in the first 8 spots.

This is only a matter of time, and probably sooner rather than later.

I feel All Star Comics #8 should be alot higher than #20.

Patience again and aren't we getting a little greedy here. Looks like it has now passed AS #3 which has historically been the Big Daddy in this run.

Action Comics #10 blows past Action Comics #2 to take the #11 spot.

No real surprise here since they were both tied last year and as we all know, super-hero covers are currently rising much faster than the non-super hero covers.

Action Comics #13 must have been omitted in error, cuz it's not listed and it was listed at the number 30 spot last year, (shrug) but base on it's 9.2 listed value of $100k, it would be tied with Detective Comics 38 for the #24 spot.

Strange that Overstreet would miss this one especially since Action #13 has pretty much been their top percentage gainer in each of the past 3 years, with only Pep 22 knocking on its door. Action #13 has gone from $30K all the way up to $100K in pretty short order.

Pep Comics #22 cracked the top ten and took the #9 spot.

No surprise that Pep 22 has finally cracked the Top 10 list as this is a real tough book to find, and when it does come to market, always goes for multiples to guide. Just surprised that it zoomed well past 'Tec #31 in the process, as this classic Batman cover in many ongoing sales, has also gone for huge multiples to guide across all condition grades.

Interesting to note that the longevity and significance of Archie has also managed to pull Jackpot #4 into Overstreet's Top 100 listing for the first time.

I posted this in Comics General, but it's GA specific so:

The overall Golden Age rankings differ from NM- value to GD value.

Below are the Top-10 Golden Age books ranked by GD value.

Let me know if I missed anything.

1. Action Comics #1

-$155,000

2. Detective Comics #27

-$110,000

3. Superman #1

-$50,000

4. Batman #1

-$25,000

5. Marvel Comics #1

-$24,000

T-6. All-American Comics #16

-$20,000

T-6. Pep Comics #22

-$20,000

8. Action Comics #7

-$18,000

9. Captain America Comics #1

-$15,000

10. Detective Comics #31

-$13,000

What grade was your Tec 29?

It was a VF/NM unrestored when I bought from Danny Dupcake of Fantazia Comics in 1989 at the height of the Batman mania :) for only $1,700

but CGC said it was a 7.5 with Extensive Restoration when I walked the book in 2000

Who rips off a kid ? Fantazia Comics in Hartsdale NY, thats who

:(

Still.... I wish I didnt sell the book for only $6,000

I am sure its worth more now but truthfully, I just would like to have a copy of the book and hold onto it because I love the cover

Well, Dupcak is one of the most infamous individuals in the hobby so no surprise there (I had a similar experience with him).

So have i

One story......before internet.....I was into pre-hero DC...

"Hey Danny, shouldn't this New Fun 1 have a back cover.....?"

Geez, I don't know.....never seen one.........

Well, Dupcak is one of the most infamous individuals in the hobby so no surprise there (I had a similar experience with him).

the list of people with a similar experience with Danny is long, but distinguished

I'm sure All American Comics 16 is a great GA book, but should it be higher than both Bat 1 and Cap 1?

to me, the top 5 spots shold be:

Action 1

Tec 27

Supes 1

Bats 1

Cap 1

Agree 100%!

the list of people with a similar experience with Danny is long, but distinguished

I seem to find trouble, but glad I never had dealings with him.

Yeah. So's my Johnson.

What grade was your Tec 29?

It was a VF/NM unrestored when I bought from Danny Dupcake of Fantazia Comics in 1989 at the height of the Batman mania :) for only $1,700

but CGC said it was a 7.5 with Extensive Restoration when I walked the book in 2000

Who rips off a kid ? Fantazia Comics in Hartsdale NY, thats who

:(

Danny Dipsh1t is more like it. Scumbag.