• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Quest for a Signature by Tnerb

2 posts in this topic

New Mutants Annual One: Take 3

The New Mutants were my favorite series. If you read any journals by me, this is something you most likely know. In the beginning I also disliked the art of Bill Sienkiewicz. However, on the annual, his only contribution is the cover. This stand alone story happens to be one of my favorites. I vowed if i were to ever crack open this book it would only be to get a triple signature by Bill and Chris Claremont with Bob McLeod. I cracked it even though I thought the book was graded wrong.

Once it was marked shipped/safe my disappointment began. Of course, is a 9.6 really that bad. After getting the book in my hand, I was pleased at the best signature placement I ever received on a modern age book. It wasn't enough though. I tried again and again on a book I questioned the grade. It too dropped to a 9.6. This time the signatures were not placed as well.

After winning another New Mutants Annual #1 to keep my 9.8 status, the question that begs to be asked, do I crack the slab to try again or do I wait for another 9.8 to appear. I will wait for three signatures again, or maybe I could wait for four. Eventually I will get a 9.8 SS, I just don't know how long it will take.

Are there any comic books out there that you would rather have designated as an SS, or are you happy with the grade all by itself?

Thanks for Reading

Tnerb

16748.JPG

See more journals by Tnerb

My FF 28 dropped from a 7.5 to a 7.0 with Stan's sig, my Xmen 128 dropped from a 9.6 to a 9.4 with a Perez sig, and most recently my SHIELD 15 dropped from a 9.2 to a 9.0 with a Trimpe sig. Am I disappointed? Somewhat, but I'd do it again. These books are a piece of history signed by these legends...that is way cool regardless of grade.

Thing is, you have to go into it knowing that the grade will likely drop...with the exception of my Hulk 181, that would have been hard. If I can't bear the thought of a grade drop (like on a lot of my 9.6 Bronze Age books) then I will find a lesser copy for the sig. You and bagofleas are much braver than I am cracking all these 9.8s but then again those Copper/Moderns aren't as hard to come by in high grade as the older books.

I say keep your 9.8 copy until you find another and then crack that one for the sig. That way you always have one copy in the grade you want.