• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What artist did you collect has had their artwork decrease in price?

59 posts in this topic

Ask a 10 or 11 year old if they read comics and they will look at you like you have lost your mind.

If you asked my niece, who is in that age range, she'd say she does. She loves the Archie comic digest that you can usually find at your local supermarket. I've been buying her them and sending them to her for years now. I've even gotten her some trade collections of other series, such as Bone, Spider-Girl, and Meridian (not to mention all the Owly stuff I bought for her when she was younger). One of her prized possessions is her original Betty sketch by Dan Parent, which I got her a couple years back.

Yes, kids today aren't exposed to comics like our generation was. But we can make an impact in changing that. So, it doesn't have to be that way. Ultimately, if it is, it's only because we let it be.

Ask a 10 or 11 year old if they read comics and they will look at you like you have lost your mind.

One of her prized possessions is her original Betty sketch by Dan Parent, which I got her a couple years back.

Yes, kids today aren't exposed to comics like our generation was. But we can make an impact in changing that. So, it doesn't have to be that way. Ultimately, if it is, it's only because we let it be.

It is a shame but your niece is one of the few that does. If you look at modern print runs they show the industry is in decline. They can't figure a way out to stop what has been occurring. Comics from the 80's, and 90's are just a place to steal ideas and stories from to make movies out of in today's world.

Dan Parent was one of the artist who drew a Daredevil on the page I placed in the framed thread.

Con%20Sketch%20Daredevil_zps2octkx3p.jpg

My local librarian is nutz for children's programming/activities. (To the point of pretty much ignoring any adult programming!) But for the life of me I can't get her to cross-promote free comic book day or anything comics related. I've mentioned it every spring four or five year running, "talk to the comics guys next town over, they'll get you a stack to give out with their stamp on the cover"...silence. "One phone call is all it would take." Silence. And she's even got a healthy TPB section in the library too. My guess is all donated though, as she's clueless and couldn't be less interested. It's a real bummer for me.

or attempting to add a page from every Image Founder into my collection

Even Liefeld?! :eek:

The other thing is that the OA hobby will shrink in size and at some point and die. Kids today are not reading comics. They aren't exposed to them in the comic book format. Batman lives in movies and video games. The kids of today will have zero interest in buying comic art. Comic art will not cause them to reminiscence about whatever point in their lives that makes them remember better times. Ask a 10 or 11 year old if they read comics and they will look at you like you have lost your mind.

That's amazing. I barely saw Gene's lips move while you were saying this.

Re: Future of comics

I don't know what will happen long term, but kids love comics from what I've seen.

It's not as well publicized, but at Halloween there is a similar initiative to FCBD. The publishers print comics for the LCSs to buy and give away.

Every Halloween, I buy a stack of the Halloween comics from my LCS and give them away along with candy. The comics go first every time.

It's a lot of fun to watch them get excited about the comics.

Try it, you'll be glad that you did. Now is the time to place the orders!

Re: Future of comics

I don't know what will happen long term, but kids love comics from what I've seen.

Graphic novels are big in my local library and new ones are added almost weekly. Some adults read them but I've seen more teens and pre-teens in the reading area. There are a number of comic subscriptions in the magazine area, too. On-line comics are growing in popularity, as well. The future might seem bleak but I mostly think it's changing. Comics will survive.

That doesn't mean new OA will still be produced thirty years from now. The last two artists I approached told me I could buy a print, but not an original. All of their original artwork exists in digital form only.

As far as the question posed in the original post, What artist do you collect that has had their artwork decrease in price?, I believe much of what I've purchased from today's artists will lose value when I go to sell it. For example, I love Aaron Lopresti's work but it's the rare Lopresti Red Sonja cover that will collect $900 from a buyer at auction. Still, Aaron sold me two of 'em at that price (each) a few years ago, and I was delighted to get them. I'm delighted to own them.

Buying directly from an artist, I expect to pay a premium. Comic book artists need to make a living, too, and they can't afford to leave money on the table. Their agents/dealers want every shiny penny, as well. This knowledge doesn't keep me from buying modern OA...it's my favorite thing to collect, and I love this hobby...but I don't pretend I'll ever get my money back.

Even Liefeld?! :eek:

Yes, I own a double splash page and a cover. You can argue if his artwork is good, bad, or whatever all you want. If I had entered comics as a profession I would have wished that I'd sold half as many books as he has in his career.

Who is Gene?

On the kids love comis - I have young son. Also, I have a huge interest in comics. He and his friends don't want anything to do with comics. That's a thing from the past and doesn't interact with them like an app or video game does. They don't read them, and they don't seek them out. These are kids who are between 8 and 10 years old. The comic stores in my area have young adults buying books within them. You rarely ever see a child in them and if they are there, then their father made them come along.

The distribution numbers don't lie. The industry is dying.

Ya comics are dying...Maybe as you knew it.(paper format)That is why Disney bought Marvel. You dont think they have plans for the future. Get with the times.

Disney bought Marvel for the same reason they purchased Lucas Films - to make MOVIES and have the marketing tie with copyrighted material they owned the rights of dump huge money into their profit line. The didn't purchase Marvel to publish comics in either print and/or on-line forms

The other thing is that the OA hobby will shrink in size and at some point and die. Kids today are not reading comics. They aren't exposed to them in the comic book format. Batman lives in movies and video games. The kids of today will have zero interest in buying comic art. Comic art will not cause them to reminiscence about whatever point in their lives that makes them remember better times. Ask a 10 or 11 year old if they read comics and they will look at you like you have lost your mind.

I'm not sure whether the appropriate response is (tsk) or :acclaim:

I work at a library in a clerical position and there are plenty of kids reading comics, but they may not be titles familiar to the superhero or monthly comic reader:

Jeff Smith's Bone should be well known. It was picked up 10 years ago by Scholastic as their first graphic novel. I'm sure some other old guys remember getting their little book catalogs in classrooms although I don't know if they still do that.

Raina Telgemeier's Smile, Drama, and Sisters are all on the NY Times best seller list. She just won an Eisner Award. Looking at online photos, she gets crowds of kids, especially young girls, showing up for her presentations and signings.

Michael Maihack's Cleopatra in Space, Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, Jimmy Gownley's Amelia Rules, Ben Hatke's Zita the Spacegirl, Jennifeer and Matthew Holm's Babymouse. I see lots of copies of Geronimo Stilton, Capt. Underpants, Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys graphic novels.

Teens are massively in love with manga such as Naruto, One Piece, Full Metal Alchemist, and others. I used to go to anime conventions in the 1990's when the crowds were full of mostly 20- and 30-something men. They are almost entirely teens and 20-somethings now with more girls than guys.

About comics, I love the remark made by Gene Luen Yang that comics were the most intimate form of communication next to a hand-written letter. While a prose novel may be affected by the printer's choice of font and all, a comic reader is seeing the lines and words of the cartoonist themselves.

Original art is like a manuscript. The price may go up or down, but it does have inherent value.

Best,

Steven

I work at a library in a clerical position and there are plenty of kids reading comics, but they may not be titles familiar to the superhero or monthly comic reader:

Jeff Smith's Bone should be well known. It was picked up 10 years ago by Scholastic as their first graphic novel. I'm sure some other old guys remember getting their little book catalogs in classrooms although I don't know if they still do that.

Jeff is one heck of a nice guy. That's great that a younger generation is exposed and enjoys Bone in your area.

I gave the B&W collected edition of Bone to my then 8 year old nephew for Christmas. He loved it so much he snuck it into school to read it. As for me, 30 something me bought his first Bone within release of the third issue along with reprints of 1 and 2. I loved it. I have all the floppies, the B&W hardcovers, and, 50+ year old me bought the 20th anniversary set that included a Bone painting along with a color all-in-one volume. Near as I can tell Bone is an all ages success.

I've read most of the books Steven mentioned and I agree that they are terrific. I have pages from the 3rd Zita book, a Zita commission by Ben, and commissions (Cleopatra and Supergirl/Batgirl by Mike.

Floppies may go by the wayside, OA may become digital, but pictures and words are here to stay.

BTW, check out Mike Maihack's Supergirl/Batgirl comics if you want a smile.

I'm with you Alex.

There are plenty of comics that are thriving in today's market and they will continue long after we've all stopped our collecting ways. Now whether that means there will be much of a collector's market after us remains to be seen.

I still see a lot of artwork being created and sold but that is primarily from a sketch/commission stand point. Plenty of people coming by the booth I help out at wanting to get on an artists list from 60 years old to 20 so that market is still doing quite well.

In addition to the comics that Alex mentioned, just look at what Marvel is doing with Groot and DC with Teen Titans, Batgirl and Gotham Academy. They are doing what they can to get the next set of youth into comics.

And hell I think it's great what publishers like Image is doing right now. I've never picked up so many books like I have in the last few years from these artists. It does stink that most artists are headed towards digital, but the comic market is really having a mini renaissance for me.

Seems like Aragones' Groo seems to be dropping now that more and more are making the marketplace. I used to have two but sold one.
Ah great observation! I was really surprised how low his Mighty Magnor covers went at Comiclink a while back. Figured those were $1000 per minimum. I'd buy Groo covers for $500 all day, should they get down there. Probably not though :)

Seems like Aragones' Groo seems to be dropping now that more and more are making the marketplace. I used to have two but sold one.
Ah great observation! I was really surprised how low his Mighty Magnor covers went at Comiclink a while back. Figured those were $1000 per minimum. I'd buy Groo covers for $500 all day, should they get down there. Probably not though :)

They'll never get to 500 per :)

Tell me about the groos in the marketplace though? I haven't been watching but thought sergio still had those locked up and that all that is around is sketches and commissions and such for the most part?

It is a perfect example though. Artificial high prices from an artificially constricted supply. Why would you buy early.... have to just wait for all that marvel art to eventually hit the market.

Oh yeah, there were some pages from the Image groo series too around yes?

But I want me some marvel or pacific pages or covers... hm

The entire Pacific series is in a black hole collection. The broker stopped off at my house on his way to deliver it (the buyer bought it all in one shot from Sergio) and showed me...just amazing.

Epic issues are available whole (for a fairly reasonable amount, actually). Image issues were broken up, and that's what's mostly in the market.