• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is wrong at DC Comics...

45 posts in this topic

Just a comment that's a little on a tangent. Over the past few years at my daughter's high school, they usually have a superhero day for a home football game. Almost everyone is dressing up as some DC character, especially the girls as Batgirl, Robin, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Harley Quinn and even the Joker. Almost none of them try to dress up as any Marvel character. I find this very interesting considering the popularity and exposure Marvel is getting in the main-stream media versus DC.

Just a comment that's a little on a tangent. Over the past few years at my daughter's high school, they usually have a superhero day for a home football game. Almost everyone is dressing up as some DC character, especially the girls as Batgirl, Robin, Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Harley Quinn and even the Joker. Almost none of them try to dress up as any Marvel character. I find this very interesting considering the popularity and exposure Marvel is getting in the main-stream media versus DC.
Really now? hm

firemem-9-11.jpg .

I actually find that picture more contrived and forced :x Generation gap? (I'm a millennial.)

So you think deep admiration for high risk occupations in service to others is unrealistic?

You feel it's contrived and forced for Superman to be reacting the way he's depicted? Behavior so rare it's being forced by the artist, totally ridiculous compared to how normal people would usually react?

Whoa, I'm not a hundred percent sure where this hostility is coming from-- did I offend you? Sorry.

But yeah, I think my buddies and I are exposed a little more to stories re: police brutality and other mishaps with law enforcement, what with the 24-hour news cycle. So to see Superman idolizing police seems just a mite unrealistic, if not pandering, as someone else has said already.

We cool here?

firemem-9-11.jpg .

I actually find that picture more contrived and forced :x Generation gap? (I'm a millennial.)

So you think deep admiration for high risk occupations in service to others is unrealistic?

You feel it's contrived and forced for Superman to be reacting the way he's depicted? Behavior so rare it's being forced by the artist, totally ridiculous compared to how normal people would usually react?

Whoa, I'm not a hundred percent sure where this hostility is coming from-- did I offend you? Sorry.

But yeah, I think my buddies and I are exposed a little more to stories re: police brutality and other mishaps with law enforcement, what with the 24-hour news cycle. So to see Superman idolizing police seems just a mite unrealistic, if not pandering, as someone else has said already.

We cool here?

It's cool, absolutely. (thumbs u Any 'hostility' you sensed was resistance on my part to how out of whack attitudes seem to have gotten. Momentarily sad, not 'offended'.

Honestly though, you're reaction to Superman is understandable. And, yeah, it's generational. From my pov millennials are getting the worst of it, surrounded 24/7 by a hiveminded drumbeat that permeates pop-culture all the way down to include Superman comic books. Divisiveness, group pitted against group, hopelessness, victimization and anger.

I'm also waking up to just how smart millennials are. A great many reject the koolaid, see right through the relentless anti-peace-of-mind bs. Good for them. I think the world they're building for themselves makes an end-run around a lot of the craziness. They're not waiting on anything or anyone, way too busy creating what they want.

Their lives, their world, their way, and man, is it inspirational. I'm positive Superman, my Superman, would say "wow".