• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sellers/Buyers Etiquette or the lack of in recent times...

87 posts in this topic

6 months/200 posts to sell. No limitations on buyers. If they don't pay they get sent to the probation list. If they attempt to buy in another thread once they've been alerted to being on the prob list they are banned from the site. Settling with prior deals should be a prerequisite for any further dealing.

Also, just to add my own experience in, I very rarely have any unpaid items here. Some people take a little time, but there's only been a couple who have >poofed< on me.

Also Wally, well written post. You hit on a lot of valid points. :)

I'm all for a minimum post count before you can sell.

nice comic

hm

lol just pointing out how post counts might not be the best gatekeeper. :foryou:

Yeah, post counts are easily acquired.

We had a guy here create a program a year or so ago that automatically posted in the test area. He went from zero to something like 1,000 posts in one day. :)

Others have done it manually, posting "nice books" and smileys all over the place just to participate in the old PIF thread.

None of this would matter if buyers took some responsibility for their actions. Don't buy from people you don't know, and don't throw money at sketchy deals unless you're willing to deal with the consequences. And then, don't come running to the Probation area looking for justice afterwards if you do. In the end, this is shifting the cost of having to deal with this mess from the individual to the community because of poor decisions and calculated risks.

None of this would matter if buyers took some responsibility for their actions. Don't buy from people you don't know, and don't throw money at sketchy deals unless you're willing to deal with the consequences. And then, don't come running to the Probation area looking for justice afterwards if you do. In the end, this is shifting the cost of having to deal with this mess from the individual to the community because of poor decisions and calculated risks.

Yup. Can't have your cake and eat it too.

That's why you're my Ditch.

as Ditch said, if there wasn't a market much of this wouldn't happen

FF is still going to suck. :baiting:

I'm still going to watch it lol

I probably will too. :cry:

I vote for 6 months, minimum. That'll weed out 99% of the *spoon* *spoon* *spoon* *spoon* *spoon*.

+1 to 6 months.

+2 (thumbs u

Applicable to buyers as well?

No, sellers can always decide on their own if they wish to impose any such limits. (thumbs u

I vote for 6 months, minimum. That'll weed out 99% of the *spoon* *spoon* *spoon* *spoon* *spoon*.

+1 to 6 months.

+2 (thumbs u

I'm all for this.

I've also said in the past that having someone use either a credit card or a valid phone number for registration purposes only, meaning there are no charges, just to validate identity, would also weed out a lot of riff raff as people would think twice about scamming someone once there is another connection to themselves other than just an IP address.

I also would like to see an easier way of doing kudos etc. Maybe im dumb when it comes to finding them for certain seller/buyers. But they do help when deciding if i wanna trust someone or not if im not familiar with them.

+1 to 6 months.

+2 (thumbs u

I'm all for this.

I've also said in the past that having someone use either a credit card or a valid phone number for registration purposes only, meaning there are no charges, just to validate identity, would also weed out a lot of riff raff as people would think twice about scamming someone once there is another connection to themselves other than just an IP address.

I have access to 4 phone numbers. The only way to do it properly is to use driver's licenses, but I'm not sure a non governmental agency can get access to the data base.

Look at eBay, they require credit cards and there are shills galore.

I also would like to see an easier way of doing kudos etc. Maybe im dumb when it comes to finding them for certain seller/buyers. But they do help when deciding if i wanna trust someone or not if im not familiar with them.

Even terrible buyers and sellers can scrounge up enough kudos to bend perceptions.

Applicable to buyers as well?

I see buying as a way to help the newbies get some credit and stability here.

Sellers is point at which it can get more crazy...

I recently had a guy act like I was low balling in a pm for 20% off retail for a stack of non keys...

I see that as a mild starting point and you work from there, maybe 15% or 10%. as an ending point. That is usually called "the dance". I personally like "the dance"...

What was his solution,... this deal is OVER!

I smile and tip my hat.

I guess I'm spoiled. I'm used to cons where I get non-keys and mild-spec-keys for a HUGE % off sticker on ANY day of the con...

Now mind you, I reciprocate though - I usually get a glut and when I have a high priced target I flip and leave a lot of meat on the bone.

The last set of mine I raised a huge sum for a Big Key and I did the math add I left as much money on the table than I raised. But that's o.k. that's my way of paying it forward...

(thumbs u

Good post. I think we all should appreciate what we have here, which is the ability to buy and sell to a pretty large group of collectors without incurring any fees.

For me, this has always been an 'icing on the cake' kind of place, not a place of 'business'. If I can have some fun, talk comics and covers and stories with fellow collectors and giving them first crack at some stuff I'm trying to sell, that's a fun night.

My sales threads are gauged on the level of interaction in the thread, not the dollar amount sold. It's comics. It's fun. If you can't enjoy that, perhaps a new hobby is in order.

+1 to 6 months.

+2 (thumbs u

I'm all for this.

I have access to 4 phone numbers. The only way to do it properly is to use driver's licenses, but I'm not sure a non governmental agency can get access to the data base.

Look at eBay, they require credit cards and there are shills galore.

I agree that it's not a perfect system but I believe it would deter some of the low lying fruit.

The intricate con artist will always put in a greater effort to separate people from their money, regardless of the barriers.

Good post. I think we all should appreciate what we have here, which is the ability to buy and sell to a pretty large group of collectors without incurring any fees.

For me, this has always been an 'icing on the cake' kind of place, not a place of 'business'. If I can have some fun, talk comics and covers and stories with fellow collectors and giving them first crack at some stuff I'm trying to sell, that's a fun night.

My sales threads are gauged on the level of interaction in the thread, not the dollar amount sold. It's comics. It's fun. If you can't enjoy that, perhaps a new hobby is in order.

Your sales threads are a reason to stay out of bed and drink vodka. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Your sales threads are a reason to stay out of bed and drink vodka. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

As if we need a reason. :headbang: