• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are some of your best comic finds?

41 posts in this topic

I'm new here so I apologize in advance as I'm sure I'm not the first one to bring up this topic, but I've never been part of a comic messageboard before so it's something I wanted to discuss with other collectors....

I'd like to hear about some of the best unexpected/chance findings you've had in coming across key issues at garage sales, book stores, rummage sales, etc...

Personally I've been to many a garage/yard sale and I've never had any luck finding anything pre-1990 that wasn't ridiculously overpriced. With the exception of a well priced Iron Man #128.

A couple years ago I had some repeated luck with one particular Half Price Books where for $1 each I was able to find Marvel Super-Heroes #12 (1st Capt Marvel), X-Factor 6, Logan's Run #6, Amazing Spiderman #238, Amazing Spiderman #252, Conan #3, a low grade Amazing Spiderman #40, and then some old Strange Tales, Bronze Age Avengers, and a couple Silver Age Batman.

Unfortunately they now seem to only carry modern books and don't "slip up" anymore. I think this is probably due to the increased exposure to super heroes from all of the popular movies lately.

Anyway, please share your stories. I'd love to hear them...

First post out of the gate and you want to know who has pulled one over "grandma" at a garage sale...?

WTTB!

Ha. Yep, I guess that about sums it up..... Just curious. As someone who is constantly on the lookout for comics I'd like to hear some success stories

First post out of the gate and you want to know who has pulled one over "grandma" at a garage sale...?

WTTB!

Ha. Yep, I guess that about sums it up..... Just curious. As someone who is constantly on the lookout for comics I'd like to hear some success stories

Your post looks an awful lot like this post....

People fleecing people everyday. Enjoy!

WTTB!

Your post looks an awful lot like this post....

People fleecing people everyday. Enjoy!

Thanks for the link. That was a good read. It seems like most of the really good finds are from 15 years back or older. I feel like today due to the explosion of superhero movies, in combination with a large influx of shows focusing on the value of nostalgic and collectible items (pawn stars, American pickers, etc) people are now overvaluing worthless comics thinking they can retire on a pile of X-Force comics.

Whoever was giving him mess for asking this question is being a bit critical here.

It's pretty natural to want to hear stories about finding gold in a trash heap.

Oh wait.. this is the CGC boards, torch the noob for trying to foster discussion!

Let's all inflate our egos a bit more and act superior!