• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondercon 2005 Report

51 posts in this topic

...wicked sense of humour...

One of the tests for a sense of humour is the ability to take a joke without developing an intense persecution complex.

You have some kind of falling out with Andy? confused.gif

First I've heard of it........ confused-smiley-013.gif

There's that crazed sense of humor! crazy.gifhi.gif

...wicked sense of humour...

One of the tests for a sense of humour is the ability to take a joke without developing an intense persecution complex.

You have some kind of falling out with Andy? confused.gif

First I've heard of it........ confused-smiley-013.gif

There's that crazed sense of humor! crazy.gifhi.gif

Hey Pov, how goes it, bruv!! Excellent thread, btw. (And I'm not being funny here, dammit!!).

If you can make it to SD, it'd be worth it, although it would mean more competition for particular books. That was the only real problem at SF, IMO. Despite getting an exhibitor's badge I still found that there were too many east coast dealers who were hungry after the quiet period, all vying with each other during set-up to get to dealer boxes first.

It didn't stop you from picking up some decent books, tho'. sumo.gif

OK, so Wondercon is already almost a week behind us. I still have my roughly 100 or so books that I bought next to me in a few nicely organized piles. I'm resisting filing them away with their respective bretheren at the moment. Once my books are filed away they are seldom seen again unless I am researching something or getting the books ready to scan or sell. 95% of them just sit untouched in the boxes.

So I'm just gonna gleen in the thrill of these newly purchased books for a while. Still flipping through what I bought, the cool covers, the nice grades, etc. Within another week or so, I suppose the thrill will be gone and the books will find their way into those long dark boxes where the light of day will be seldom seen.

But for now, I'll continue to play ..... grin.gif

One thing that occurred to me today as I was driving past Bob's Steak and Chop House on my way to drop Liz off at some charity event was that I'm not sure that we all thanked Steve Borock properly for picking up as much of the tab as he did. Leaving aside the money that Steve spent on his own dinner and the dinners of his girlfriend and the other CGC employees, Steve still pitched a LOT of money (I'm not going to say how much, but the amount made my eyes pop out when I saw the bill) toward appetizers and drinks for the group. This is not something that he does once in a while -- he does it every time there's a forum dinner.

So Steve, thanks for pitching in as you always do to cover the costs of the appetizers and many of the drinks at the forum dinners. I think it speaks volumes about how much you enjoy hosting the forum dinners that you and CGC are willing to do that so often. 893applaud-thumb.gif

One thing that occurred to me today as I was driving past Bob's Steak and Chop House on my way to drop Liz off at some charity event was that I'm not sure that we all thanked Steve Borock properly for picking up as much of the tab as he did. Leaving aside the money that Steve spent on his own dinner and the dinners of his girlfriend and the other CGC employees, Steve still pitched a LOT of money (I'm not going to say how much, but the amount made my eyes pop out when I saw the bill) toward appetizers and drinks for the group. This is not something that he does once in a while -- he does it every time there's a forum dinner.

So Steve, thanks for pitching in as you always do to cover the costs of the appetizers and many of the drinks at the forum dinners. I think it speaks volumes about how much you enjoy hosting the forum dinners that you and CGC are willing to do that so often. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I second that btw - Steve was mighty generous. And it's not as if we're camp-followers either. So Steve, if you're ever in London, I'll buy you a pint of Guinness and a steak and kidney pie, and maybe some jellied eels. stooges.gif

tax write off yeahok.gifgossip.gif

I also have a corp. credit card - however tax right off, expense account or whatever. He didn't have to do it, I made a point of shaking his hand and expressing my appreciation for the gesture and for his company's hosting of the Boards which has allowed me to meet a lot of cool people who also happen to collect comics.

Thanks again Steve. thumbsup2.gif

I second that btw - Steve was mighty generous. And it's not as if we're camp-followers either. So Steve, if you're ever in London, I'll buy you a pint of Guinness and a steak and kidney pie, and maybe some jellied eels. stooges.gif

I third that, having been a gleeful beneficiary of his generosity thumbsup2.gif and Andy - hold the jellied eels - OK? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

hi.gif

tax write off yeahok.gifgossip.gif

Whether it's a tax write-off or not for CGC, I know that a good chunk of these things come out of Steve's own pocket. I know you guys are trying desperately to be funny, but there were more than 30 people there who got free drinks and appetizers thanks to Steve paying for that portion of the check.

I think its great that Steve pays far moe thasn his share at these dinners, and I really have to make it to one soon. But why do think its Steves personal $$s and not CGCs generosity in entertaining their best clients once in a while? And Steve, if youre not getting reimbursed, thats crazy! All of us in business socialize with our client/ friends, and we must more often than not pick up the tab....

I third that, having been a gleeful beneficiary of his generosity thumbsup2.gif and Andy - hold the jellied eels - OK? 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

hi.gif

Hey Dave, how goes it! No problem dispensing with the jellied eels. Besides, pork scratchings and black pudding are more Steve's thing, anyway........ crazy.gif

Whether it's a tax write-off or not for CGC, I know that a good chunk of these things come out of Steve's own pocket. I know you guys are trying desperately to be funny, but there were more than 30 people there who got free drinks and appetizers thanks to Steve paying for that portion of the check.

Yes, and I think it is ridiculous to speculate on who actually covers the cost and if it is a tax write-off or if the whole idea is to just impress the best customers or whatever.

The point is, Steve and Co. has not only brought this Forum to us for free, but has made a point to host a dinner at each convention that they attend so that we can all get together, socialize, do a little business perhaps, and just have fun. And they pick up part of the tab AND take the opportunity to answer and discuss all questions and concerns that we have with CGC services and comics in general.

I really appreciate that. AND I thank Steve personally for also taking it upon himself to make sure no individuals get the shaft and have to pay more than their fare share. When everybody was splitting up the bill he made a point to make sure that I was not charged for any alcohol as he knows I don't drink. I appreciate that, it's very thoughtful. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifheadbang.gif

So Steve, thanks for pitching in as you always do to cover the costs of the appetizers and many of the drinks at the forum dinners. I think it speaks volumes about how much you enjoy hosting the forum dinners that you and CGC are willing to do that so often

Spot on, Scott. Reading the tax write-off type responses - maybe those folks have never been to a Forum Dinner. For the majority of people the appetizers (if you can call them that. Jumbo shrimp, Maine lobster and other goodies that would make meals unto themselves) simply appeared without ceremony. As I sat next to Steve I had the opportunity to observe him having hurried, whispered conversations with the waiter several times to insure everyone had enough, that the slection would meet everyone's tastes and just insuring things would go as smoothly as possible. No recognition was sought. He genuinely just wanted everyone to have a good time. Between Steve and Scott, the two SF Forum dinners have been absolutely amazing. They both deserve considerable accolades. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I think its great that Steve pays far moe thasn his share at these dinners, and I really have to make it to one soon. But why do think its Steves personal $$s and not CGCs generosity in entertaining their best clients once in a while?

I don't think it, I know it for a fact that part of what he contributes toward these tabs comes out of his own pocket.

I was next to FFB when the checks came, and Steve paid far more than CGC's share of the bill. Also, he said that he does not have an expense account, and that the forum dinner bills come out of his own personal pocket.

So, I thank Steve for the good drinks, delicious food, and great company.

I was next to FFB when the checks came, and Steve paid far more than CGC's share of the bill. Also, he said that he does not have an expense account, and that the forum dinner bills come out of his own personal pocket.

You may have mis-heard me. I probably said something like "I don't have the expense account to have CGC pay for what would have been the apps. and rounds of drinks/wine that was bought for this dinner." CGC does not (and should not) pay more than about $15 a person the rest (and at this dinner was huge), I take out of my own pocket.

Thanks for those kind words everyone, but I try to give back whatever I can to this hobby, wether it is ACTOR, CBLDF, helping the smaller press, or these forum dinners.

These dinners are what comic book collecting should be all about: Enjoy comic books while talking to and making new friends, learning about different genres of collecting and treating each other with respect and dignity while having a blast! I love this hobby, I make a good living doing what I do in it, and feel the need to reach into my pocket to give back some of what I get out of it. It is what I teach my daughter to do in life, I would be a lousy father if I did not do as I teach.

I will get off my high horse now and go back to being part of the evil empire stooges.gif

You may have mis-heard me. I probably said something like "I don't have the expense account to have CGC pay for what would have been the apps. and rounds of drinks/wine that was bought for this dinner." CGC does not (and should not) pay more than about $15 a person the rest (and at this dinner was huge), I take out of my own pocket.

Thanks for those kind words everyone, but I try to give back whatever I can to this hobby, wether it is ACTOR, CBLDF, helping the smaller press, or these forum dinners.

These dinners are what comic book collecting should be all about: Enjoy comic books while talking to and making new friends, learning about different genres of collecting and treating each other with respect and dignity while having a blast! I love this hobby, I make a good living doing what I do in it, and feel the need to reach into my pocket to give back some of what I get out of it. It is what I teach my daughter to do in life, I would be a lousy father if I did not do as I teach.

I will get off my high horse now and go back to being part of the evil empire stooges.gif

Ya I was just gonna tell you to go back to grading Modern dreck, or getttig Newt to do it. But seriously, some of the responses here 893censored-thumb.gif me off. Sure there were a lot of higher profile industry people at that dinner, but the forum dinner's especially the one's I've been to and can therefore talk on have been epitomized by CLASS and INTEGRITY. I seriously can't think of anyone WHO WAS ACTUALLY THERE THINKING OTHERWISE. sumo.gif