• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wondercon 2005 Report

51 posts in this topic

Way to go Steve! Youre a superhero!

But gues what? I STILL think CGC should pay you back. If its only a hundred or so, big deal. And if its $500 from YOUR pocket for THEIR business' benefit, all the more reson you neednt go out of pocket. And if you do it NOT for CGCs benefit, but for the hobby, well, lets face it, there are guys at the table with just as much at stake riding on the wellbeing of the hobby that can (or should) help you out.... and are far more capable of peeling off a few extra benjamins than you are.

I love ya man, It just sounds like youre choosing to be the fall guy for a lot of cash unnecessarily. You do plenty for the hobby already. I mean, a dinner attended buy guys buying comics for (tens of) thousands of dollars apiece ought to be paid for a bit more equitably IMO.

But gues what? I STILL think CGC should pay you back. If its only a hundred or so, big deal. And if its $500 from YOUR pocket for THEIR business' benefit, all the more reson you neednt go out of pocket. And if you do it NOT for CGCs benefit, but for the hobby, well, lets face it, there are guys at the table with just as much at stake riding on the wellbeing of the hobby that can (or should) help you out.... and are far more capable of peeling off a few extra benjamins than you are.

I love ya man, It just sounds like youre choosing to be the fall guy for a lot of cash unnecessarily. You do plenty for the hobby already. I mean, a dinner attended buy guys buying comics for (tens of) thousands of dollars apiece ought to be paid for a bit more equitably IMO.

It's not a question of equity. Steve does it because he wants to, not because people are refusing to pay their portions of the bill. It is a nice gesture and one that I thought deserved some recognition, but thanks to all of you expense-account-armchair-quarterbacks and the "Who cares, it's a tax write-off" crowd, I am thinking I probably should have just reminded people privately to thank him.

Oh, and for the "Tax write-off" crowd, I hope to see all of you picking up extra portions of the check whenever you go to a forum dinner. After all, it's no biggie because you can take a tax write-off, right? 27_laughing.gif

It's not a question of equity. Steve does it because he wants to, not because people are refusing to pay their portions of the bill. It is a nice gesture and one that I thought deserved some recognition, but thanks to all of you expense-account-armchair-quarterbacks and the "Who cares, it's a tax write-off" crowd, I am thinking I probably should have just reminded people privately to thank him.

Oh, and for the "Tax write-off" crowd, I hope to see all of you picking up extra portions of the check whenever you go to a forum dinner. After all, it's no biggie because you can take a tax write-off, right? 27_laughing.gif

Amen and Amen. But no one replies to Pov anymore so I'll just add my re-affirmation and be done with it. Steve LOVES doing this. He has a LOT of fun at the cons. He does it out of the kind of enthusiasm for comic books that has made this forum a success. Steve showed me a few of those DC BA Hero/Horror corssovers from Redbeard's table. He was amazingly enthusiastic but not because they would be CGC 9.8. They were pretty much VF/NM or NM-. He just started dancing at the cover art and really just loved the books. His "hobbyness" comes out so many times over that I hope those who have doubts have the opportunity to actually observe Steve Borock at a con. And like FFB and BassG and Say Jim, that;s a bad outFIT and many other forum denizens, he will go out of your way, take some time, to help you track down things you are looking for.

So that's all I have to say on the subject...at least for now.

And YOU Pov (hey, I'm responding to YOU) said one of the coolest things I've ever heard out of a comic collectors mouth over there at Wondercon. You said that you got the same kind of "feeling" when you bought your very affordable Bronze horror books as when you bought your much more expensive pre-codes. It's not just the comparison that I'm talking about, but to hear (dare I say?) one of the board elders talk about such excitement and joy over finding and buying a new genre of comics, that it reassured me how I will most likely also carry that same joy and excitement into my older years.

I've always wondered if my interest in comics will wane as I start "gettin' up there". But after seeing Pov's excitement, that really showed me that a true love for the medium doesn't fade, but grows stronger and more loyal each year. Way to go Pov, you're an inspiration. thumbsup2.gif

And YOU Pov (hey, I'm responding to YOU) said one of the coolest things I've ever heard out of a comic collectors mouth over there at Wondercon. You said that you got the same kind of "feeling" when you bought your very affordable Bronze horror books as when you bought your much more expensive pre-codes. It's not just the comparison that I'm talking about, but to hear (dare I say?) one of the board elders talk about such excitement and joy over finding and buying a new genre of comics, that it reassured me how I will most likely also carry that same joy and excitement into my older years.

I've always wondered if my interest in comics will wane as I start "gettin' up there". But after seeing Pov's excitement, that really showed me that a true love for the medium doesn't fade, but grows stronger and more loyal each year. Way to go Pov, you're an inspiration. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks, Sid. I confess I was pretty amazed myself at how "natural" scouring tons of BA Horror felt (now lettuce be clear here - there were not tons of HG - but there were tons!). Last year, at Wondercon, when I only picked up 3 or 5 books and got depressed due to the adherence to the We're All Insano Price Guide stickers, I was just starting to get into BA Horror. I tried looking at some but it was like talking to a blank wall and I was the wall. I just didn't have enough exposure to them. Well, I've had a year to get into the BA Horror and picked up about 150 books over that time. At some point I started to really get a feel for the titles and covers and stories. So this year? Man! I was fully equipped. Had enough money to make my tote bag heavy each day. Knew the titles. Got a good feel for the grades. And just started to enjoy all the covers in the flesh, both those I had seen on these boards as scans and those I had never seen before. It is still a real kick!

I swear, even in my top pre-code days, I never had so much fun. And San Diego should be at least as good!

Again, I thank you for some of your guiding me to the right places. I AM proud that youj saw a few books I got from dealers you had been to and commented "Huh? I mised that one or I would have picked it up myself!" grin.gif