• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st appearance of Red Tornado?

8 posts in this topic

Hey there :3

Curious, but I was wondering what exactly is the first appearance of the Red Tornado? As I believed it to be Justice League of America #64, but then someone mentioned Mystery in Space #61? Ergo, I'm a tad confused, hence my question, but what do you think?

All comments are welcomed.

Never read the Mystery In Space, but if I recall, they bottled up the Tornado Tyrant into the android that would be Red Tornado, so Justice League 64 is correct. We don't want any of this first appearance of X-23 in a vial business here! :sumo:

:gossip: Maybe All-American #20?

Never read the Mystery In Space, but if I recall, they bottled up the Tornado Tyrant into the android that would be Red Tornado, so Justice League 64 is correct.

I believe the post above yours is correct.

That is, unless August 1968 (i.e. JLA 64) comes before November 1940 (i.e. AA 20). hmlol

There are two versions of Red Tornado based on some of my research.

The first Red Tornado appeared in All-Star Comics #3 based off a female character named Abigail Mathilda Hunkel (aka Ma Hunkel). She was a member of the JSA that wore a pot on her head as part of her disguise... :eyeroll:

Then you have the other Red Tornado debuting in Justice League of America #64 named John "Reddy" Smith.

While it is true Adam Strange battled the Tornado Tyrant back in Mystery in Space, it was in Justice League of America #64 where the red costumed android Red Tornado first debuted.

So if it's the red costumed android you are seeking then the first appearance is Justice League of America #64. (thumbs u

The first Red Tornado appeared in All-Star Comics #3 based off a female character named Abigail Mathilda Hunkel (aka Ma Hunkel). She was a member of the JSA that wore a pot on her head as part of her disguise... :eyeroll:

If you are talking about the GA Red Tornado here, her first appearance is still AA #20 since this book came out about 1 or 2 months prior to AS #3. Looks like she joined the JSA after her inital appearance in AA 20. :gossip:

Overstreet's notation for AA 20 is that it is the first appearance of Ma Hunkel becoming the Red Tornado. Apparently she is DC's first costumed heroine, even before Wonder Woman.

There definitely were two different Red Tornado characters. The first appearing in All-American Comics #3 as Ma Hunkel. Then in All-American Comics #20 as Red Tornado. The Red Tornado in JLA #64 is obviously a different character, but I found this information on Wikipedia:

"In Justice League of America, Vol. 1, #64 (August 1968), the Red Tornado shows up at the JSA's headquarters on Earth-Two, claiming to be the "original" Red Tornado—a woman from the 1940s named Ma Hunkel. The JSA is suspicious, but Red Tornado has all of Hunkel's memories."

Based on that, I would say the true first appearance of Red Tornado is AA #20. However, JLA #64 is the one to invest in as that is the character that would likely appear in the new DC/WB movie universe.

There definitely were two different Red Tornado characters. The first appearing in All-American Comics #3 as Ma Hunkel. Then in All-American Comics #20 as Red Tornado. The Red Tornado in JLA #64 is obviously a different character, but I found this information on Wikipedia:

"In Justice League of America, Vol. 1, #64 (August 1968), the Red Tornado shows up at the JSA's headquarters on Earth-Two, claiming to be the "original" Red Tornado—a woman from the 1940s named Ma Hunkel. The JSA is suspicious, but Red Tornado has all of Hunkel's memories."

Based on that, I would say the true first appearance of Red Tornado is AA #20. However, JLA #64 is the one to invest in as that is the character that would likely appear in the new DC/WB movie universe.

:eyeroll:

I don't recommend this.