• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Probably a scam, but...

40 posts in this topic

Yeah, I know, another "Grandpa died and I inherited all these silly comics that I know nothing about" seller, but look at some of these books:

Daredevil #1 9.0

JLA #1 9.0

JLA 2, 5 9.4

Showcase #14 9.0(listed as Flash #14)

Tales to Astonish #27 9.0

All the books are listed as CGC, but are pictured just in mylar.

Has all the earmarks of a scam, but where did they get all those pics? The Showcase #14 looks pretty sweet.

Grandpa's books

If the books ARE in fact CGC graded (which I doubt), that would account for the page quality issues. I just sent him a very nice email asking for the serial number on the JLA 1, so we'll see what happens.

dude

I did the same exact thing...

If the books ARE in fact CGC graded (which I doubt), that would account for the page quality issues. I just sent him a very nice email asking for the serial number on the JLA 1, so we'll see what happens.

yah..i saw these as well.....i too sent a note, asking if he had scans of the actual slabbed books for sale and not just general pics and for the serial numbers...

interested to see the reply

They aren't CGC graded, just check the pics. So of course no serial numbers. He's only sold ONE item in the past 6 months or so, and has bought only a few small things recently like "How to beat Texas Hold 'Em" and "How to Make Money at Party Poker.com"? confused-smiley-013.gif Maybe instead he's figured out how to make money scamming on ebay. Would like to hear his email response though. The pics are horrible by the way, hard to see detail at all. Where did he get those incremental grades if he doesn't know about comics?

Is it just me or do many of these scam comic auction sellers routinely seem to use these color borders in their auctions?

well hey...anything to distract you from the actual content of said scam...

lol, just received this in reply.

MY WORDS:

Dear aznbro88,

Just to let you know, none of your books are CGC graded. Your listings are

all in violation of eBay's rules. Why did you think they were CGC?

I am not saying you did anything wrong, just letting you know so that they

don't get canceled.

HIS REPLY:

They are professionally graded by CGC. I have proof of this and can send you

a photo of the heading. Also if you want to see any close up pictures for

yourself I will be happy to oblige. Just let me know which ones you want to

see.

(>^-^)> Thank You For Your Time <(^-^<)

(>*-*)> Have A Nice Day<(*-*<)

(>'-')> Aznbro88 <('-'<)

27_laughing.gif

ya...i had the same reply waiting when i woke up...

almost makes me want to win one just to file fraud charges...

i also got a 2nd reply from a different email address for the same question sayng he didn't have space for extra pics but would send me scans of whatever i want...didn't address why he didn't just use scans of the slabbed books in the first place.

No, I would hope you couldn't get that information without it being a police matter.

But... whether or not he's in possession of the books isn't so much the issue. The issue is whether or not they're actually CGC graded in the first place. A serial number would go a long way towards clearing that up.

I'm new to CGC etc... so bare with me. My question is this. If this guy claims to have gotten his books slabbed cant you ask him his name and call CGC to check the serial number and see who slabbed them?

Bare With you?

I think we will stay dressed thank you very much

I'm new to CGC etc... so bare with me. My question is this. If this guy claims to have gotten his books slabbed cant you ask him his name and call CGC to check the serial number and see who slabbed them?

If you have the serial numbers, you can call CGC and get some information about the books (Jordanscott mentioned above that he emailed the seller, asking for the #s). I don't believe CGC will give out any info as to the identity of the person who submitted them. (I think it would cause quite a controversy if they did release names).