• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Fav Drek Title?

49 posts in this topic

Grim Jack :)

Great book. As with his work on The Spectre, John Ostrander is very underrated.

+1

As is Timothy Truman.

In my mind Tim Truman is right up there with the best. An actual master-level 'illustrator' imho.

(I was just thinking what a fun run Air Boy was.)

+1

As is Timothy Truman.

In my mind Tim Truman is right up there with the best. An actual master-level 'illustrator' imho.

(I was just thinking what a fun run Air Boy was.)

Truman's excellent. Another book of his that could be placed in the drek category, rather unfairly, is Hawkworld. Really enjoyed this mini-series.

- Quasar

- Squadron Supreme by Mark Gruenwald

- The Shadow (Helfer / Baker run )

- Shade the Changing Man (Milligan / Bachalo)

The Helfer / Baker run on The Shadow is one of the funniest things I ever read. Huge fan.

X - Force.

dont care what anyone thinks. I was 9 or 10 when i started reading them and it was awesome to me. The whole stryfe is cable / cable is stryfe stuff was mind blowing when i was a kid

OK but this does not change the fact they factually trashed a title, and a group of characters slowly developed and accurately crafted just to follow the momentary fad of the soon to be Image artists.

That alone, is deprecable. I was 18-19 when reading these stories, and when I started to read New Mutants #87 I believed they had kidnapped the writer and swapped her with an alien. :P

i wasnt into new mutants until issue 87 so it was new to me. But now as ive read the series i def can see your point.

I might get things thrown at me for saying this, but I loved the Clone Saga and even enjoyed Maximum Carnage. The little kid in me remembers reading those issues as they were coming out and I thought they were a blast. One of my good friends had a bunch of the books with the cutout covers like ASM 400 and I thought they were the coolest things ever. It is funny to think that him showing me books that were such drek as a young kid would grow me into a lifelong comic collector.

Spectacular Spider-Man, anything up to Kraven's Last Hunt seems criminal to find in quarter and dollar bins. Everyone chases Amazing 194, but no one reads the Black Cat story in Spectacular...

(thumbs u The story in 194 is awful. The Spectacular story defined and made the Black Cat.

I also enjoyed some of the Clone saga, but it all got a bit too convoluted. But Ben Reilly was a solid character. Never read Maximum Carnage.

Spectacular Spider-Man, anything up to Kraven's Last Hunt seems criminal to find in quarter and dollar bins. Everyone chases Amazing 194, but no one reads the Black Cat story in Spectacular...

Spectacular has long been criminally underappreciated. I know that Sal Buscema isn't to everyone's taste, but I absolutely love his work on this series. I enjoyed this series more than Amazing throughout much of the 90s. Just really good stuff.

would never call this drek but you can pick up James Robinson's Starman #0-80 for about a buck a book. brilliant from start to finish.

+1000

I started rebuying the floppies recently as its cheaper to put a run together than it is to buy the collections. More fun too.

would never call this drek but you can pick up James Robinson's Starman #0-80 for about a buck a book. brilliant from start to finish.

+1000

I started rebuying the floppies recently as its cheaper to put a run together than it is to buy the collections. More fun too.

I could always find Starman in cheap boxes for 50p, even back in the 90s. I looked forward to digging out the latest issue each month. I got the first 3 years of the title this way, up until when DC ceased distribution over here.