• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet bets and expectations...

43 posts in this topic

FF 48 dropped by about $150 in 8.0 condition last year. Also, ASM #1 dropped by about $800 in 8.0 condition. I wonder if these books will drop in value again this year. I doubt it.

AS far as GA is concerned, the OS guide needs to seriously consider separating out classic covers from other issues within a given title.

The average 10% price increase will be applied to most major character books, just like every year.

Actually, comics went up by more than the 10% in 2003 (for example, FF 31-40 went up from $130 in 9.4 to $240 in 9.2) -- that's why we're asking.

Since Overstreet doesnt track slabbed prices well, they are in their own world nowadays. And, if I sound harsh, I dont mean to be. Raising all Guide prices to match the market has NEVER been Overstreets mission. He always lag far behind allowing him to always raise and never backtrack during slow times...

I'm all for agreeing that OS is way out of step on many counts, but in defense of ye ole fashioned Bible, it's not necessarily a bad thing that so many books are undervalued. If prices were more "accurate," then many sellers would just jack up the prices all the more and precipitate a severe cooling off period (I am intentionally not using the word "crash" wink.gif). So it makes sense, from a longevity perspective, to be one or two steps behind the marketplace on some counts.

The average 10% price increase will be applied to most major character books, just like every year.

Actually, comics went up by more than the 10% in 2003 (for example, FF 31-40 went up from $130 in 9.4 to $240 in 9.2) -- that's why we're asking.

There's not much point in taking this any further if you don't know what "average" means.

FF 48 dropped by about $150 in 8.0 condition last year. Also, ASM #1 dropped by about $800 in 8.0 condition. I wonder if these books will drop in value again this year. I doubt it.

AS far as GA is concerned, the OS guide needs to seriously consider separating out classic covers from other issues within a given title.

At the very least they should aknowledge that their is a drop off in both interest and price for many titles after the war covers end. While many "classic"covers are already broken out, there are certainly more worthy of it, and sometimes the bump in value for a broken out classic cover is so nominal as to be laughable.

With HG silver runs becoming more expensive to complete, I imagine "classic" covers are going to be jumping in value in that era, if they haven't already.

As for SA FF - it seems that 1-5 & 12 rarely sell for much under guide in the lower grades, and often over, especially if slabbed. 17 & 23 (Doom covers) and 46 (Black Bolt cover) also seem to go for near guide even in VG - F.

Well, if the past is any indicator, prices will continue slow, steady increases across the board.

That being said, prices on titles that desperately deserve to be lowered, such as Batman, World's Finest, Comic Cavalcade and several others, won't move downward at all. The "Market Report" will tell us that the market is booming and everything is comin' up roses. Maybe they will even pull another back door price hike and lower the top listed grade to 9.0. Heck, why not just drop it to 2.0. That way only one price will be listed and we can all guess what the other prices should be...

That being said, prices on titles that desperately deserve to be lowered, such as Batman, World's Finest, Comic Cavalcade and several others, won't move downward at all.

I can see prices deservedly going down for Cavalcade, but why World's Finest, and definitely why Batman? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The "Market Report" will tell us that the market is booming and everything is comin' up roses.

Agreed. I was less than than thrilled with the "reports" in last year's guide, with one or two notable exceptions.

Maybe they will even pull another back door price hike and lower the top listed grade to 9.0. Heck, why not just drop it to 2.0. That way only one price will be listed and we can all guess what the other prices should be...

There are very good reasons why the top grade should be lowered for older, scarcer books. Listing 30's and 40's books in 9.2 condition is asinine. It gives no indication as to the current market value for such books. That said, I think bronze should get the bump up to 9.6.

There are very good reasons why the top grade should be lowered for older, scarcer books. Listing 30's and 40's books in 9.2 condition is asinine. It gives no indication as to the current market value for such books. That said, I think bronze should get the bump up to 9.6.

Didn't Arnold already hinted a couple of months ago that there would be a readjustment for the top condition grade in the 2005 guide. From my point of view, the top grades should be as follows:

GA 9.0

SA 9.2

BA 9.4

CA 9.4 or 9.6 (okay, let's go for Wizard's 9.5)

MA 9.6

Doubt we'll see all of these implemented in one year. More than likely, they'll be phased in over a few years.