• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I press DC Comics Presents #26?

6 posts in this topic

DC Comics Presents #26

I was wondering whether or not I should possibly get his book pressed?

wrmdcw.jpg

2e2m3bt.jpg

It should be mentioned on the top of the comic there seems to be a green marker sort of mark on the head of the comic, which was a tad bit difficult to include in the scan due to it's position.

What do you think?

All comments are welcomed.

couldn't hurt

True but I do not see much in the way of any sort of signifigant improvements to be had via a press, either.

The stress on/around the staples clearly breaks color so there is no improvement to be had there.

It's hard to see (gauge) the severity of the spine tics from the scans, so nothing can be said about that, based on the scans alone.

Other than removing minor surface dents/wear (that I can't even see in the scans but are likely present).....the only readily apparent I can see to be had via pressing is the slight indent on the URC of the FC, above the price box.

If the spine tics are not transverse/color breakers then a press would improve the grade....not sure if you'd see much n the way of a tangible grade bump if slabbed, though.This is the sort of book you'd have to have in your hands, to gauge wether a press would be cost/time effective.

Or at least pics with a digital camera so the book's defects are readily apparenty.When a book is laid on a flat surface, a camera reveal much more in the way of obtainable defects to be worked upon....you can see the severity of spin damage, wether the paper has anybuckling an so o.

Using a flatbed scanner to assess pressable defects is somewhat self defeating.

couldn't hurt

True but I do not see much in the way of any sort of signifigant improvements to be had via a press, either.

The stress on/around the staples clearly breaks color so there is no improvement to be had there.

It's hard to see (gauge) the severity of the spine tics from the scans, so nothing can be said about that, based on the scans alone.

Other than removing minor surface dents/wear (that I can't even see in the scans but are likely present).....the only readily apparent I can see to be had via pressing is the slight indent on the URC of the FC, above the price box.

If the spine tics are not transverse/color breakers then a press would improve the grade....not sure if you'd see much n the way of a tangible grade bump if slabbed, though.This is the sort of book you'd have to have in your hands, to gauge wether a press would be cost/time effective.

Or at least pics with a digital camera so the book's defects are readily apparenty.When a book is laid on a flat surface, a camera reveal much more in the way of obtainable defects to be worked upon....you can see the severity of spin damage, wether the paper has anybuckling an so o.

Using a flatbed scanner to assess pressable defects is somewhat self defeating.

That BR FC corner could use some help. Looks more smushed than rounded.

couldn't hurt

sure about that? :baiting:

As a collector of Silver Age Marvels, I know that I should see the tip of the inside paper extend beyond the right top corner of the cover*. This display of paper should then narrow and disappear by the right bottom corner. This natural for a book of that age.

ASM09FFeb64.jpg

Every time I see inside paper extending beyond actual top or bottom of the cover and not down the right side, I know I am looking at a bad press.

It's unnatural and something I am seeing more and more. I personally believe it is an easy tell and that CGC should recognize it as a defect.

The cover has shifted in relationship to the paper inside. It might be an acceptable trade off for a flatter cover in some collectors' eyes -- but it's a definite pass for me.

*Of course, on a pristine copy, one might not see any paper extrusion.