• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Happy 100th Birthday D ick Sprang!!

9 posts in this topic

I can't let the day pass without a salute to the memory of the late D ick Sprang on the 100th anniversary of his birth. Even Bob Kane himself thought Mr. Sprang was the best Batman "ghost" artist! (See Comic Book Marketplace #65.)

I can't let the day pass without a salute to the memory of the late D ick Sprang on the 100th anniversary of his birth. Even Bob Kane himself thought Mr. Sprang was the best Batman "ghost" artist! (See Comic Book Marketplace #65.)

(thumbs u

<a  href=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7311/12177637305_a20fd016ec_z.jpg' alt='12177637305_a20fd016ec_z.jpg'>IMG PAGE FROM "TALES OF THE DARK KNIGHT".

mm

I remember meeting Spoon Sprang in person at the 1991? WonderCon in Oakland, before these conventions became popular. Since there was such a short line, I spoke to him for thirty minutes. With all due respect to Jerry Robinson and Neal Adams, Sprang is my favorite Batman artist and one of my favorite artists of all time. Spoon Sprang was an absolute gentlemen and gave me some free signed prints.

image_zpsvzvzhijg.jpg

I remember meeting Spoon Sprang in person at the 1991? WonderCon in Oakland, before these conventions became popular. Since there was such a short line, I spoke to him for thirty minutes. With all due respect to Jerry Robinson and Neal Adams, Sprang is my favorite Batman artist and one of my favorite artists of all time. Spoon Sprang was an absolute gentlemen and gave me some free signed prints.

image_zpsvzvzhijg.jpg

I love that poster! Thanks for sharing.

Regrettably, I stepped away from active collecting for 3 decades, so I was out of the mix during the years that Mr. Sprang attended conventions and accepted commissions. Had I been collecting during those years, I'd have a room full of his stuff.

image_zpsvzvzhijg.jpg

I love that poster! Thanks for sharing.

Regrettably, I stepped away from active collecting for 3 decades, so I was out of the mix during the years that Mr. Sprang attended conventions and accepted commissions. Had I been collecting during those years, I'd have a room full of his stuff.

This is actually a recreation commission by Sprang from the June 2015 Comiclink auction. Sprang's agent was Ike Wilson. I was regrettably too cheap to get a commission back in 1991, but purchased one of the Secrets of the Batcave lithos. Spoon Sprang signed my Signet Batman vs The Joker paperback that I purchased as a kid.

I will post the free print once I get a chance to scan them.

This is actually a recreation commission by Sprang from the June 2015 Comiclink auction. Sprang's agent was Ike Wilson. I was regrettably too cheap to get a commission back in 1991, but purchased one of the Secrets of the Batcave lithos. Spoon Sprang signed my Signet Batman vs The Joker paperback that I purchased as a kid.

I will post the free print once I get a chance to scan them.

Great! I'll be on the lookout for your post. I live in Oklahoma and got a chance to meet Ike Wilson at OAF Con in Norman last year. If you're on Facebook, look for his Sprang tribute page.