• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How scarce is this Alex Schomburg cover?

17 posts in this topic

Normally I'd post anything Schomburg related in the Golden Age forum, but this is actually a cover he did in 1988. Gangster's at War #27 was a comic created to go with the limited edition slipcased hardover edition of The Comic Book Killer by Lupoff. It has two stories totalling 13 pages of comics, the first story drawn by Trina Robbins, the second(I think) by Steve Leialoha. There's also a one-page text story, letters to the editor, and cut-out "gangster cards" of Al Capone and Bonnie Parker with instructions to "cut along the dotted line".

It must have been an interesting job for Schomburg, creating a cover so similar to those he'd done 43-47 years prior.

gangsterswar27.jpg

i don't think it's ugly. it's very clean, a certain something modern artists might do well to learn about.

but i do wonder what that GI is going to do when his parachute yanks him back out the window.

unless he's just that good that he can unbuckle it without using his hands. anything's possible i guess

Well, I wasn't presenting it as a stellar example of Schomburg's talent. Just as a curiosity from his later years that I don't think many people have seen.

I wonder how old he was when he drew this.

Sorry Jeff,

I'm a big AS fan, but it just looked to me like he was trying to create something new in a style that he left behind long ago, and the result is something that's not quite up to par. It has none of the frenetic feel that a lot of his covers from that era have. I believe that another artist could mimic AS's old style better than he has with this piece.

Sorry Jeff,

I'm a big AS fan, but it just looked to me like he was trying to create something new in a style that he left behind long ago, and the result is something that's not quite up to par. It has none of the frenetic feel that a lot of his covers from that era have. I believe that another artist could mimic AS's old style better than he has with this piece.

I agree that it's not up to par. And yeah, I was just recently wondering what Alex Ross or Brian Bolland would come up with if they mimiced Schomburg's style in his peak years.

I agree it's not Schomburg's best, but it's still pretty cool. I bought that book just to get the comic that came with it. The book isn't bad, but not really good either--I suspect that there would be little interest outside of the comics collecting community.