• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tear at staple, manufacturing defect or wear?

4 posts in this topic

I received a return on a comic, I missed a tear that ran alongside the staple. It looks to me like it was caused when the book was stapled during the manufacturing process. Assuming the book was a 9.4 without the tear, how much would something like this lower the grade? Here is a close up picture of the tear: Thanks for any help with this.

_12.jpg

I received a return on a comic, I missed a tear that ran alongside the staple. It looks to me like it was caused when the book was stapled during the manufacturing process. Assuming the book was a 9.4 without the tear, how much would something like this lower the grade? Here is a close up picture of the tear: Thanks for any help with this.

_12.jpg

This looks to me like a popped staple as in it looks like all of the cover material is split under the staple. It is possible the cover may still be attached to the comic by the small bit that is under the staple, that would make a difference. Is the cover still attached to the staple or is it popped?

_12.jpg

This looks to me like a popped staple as in it looks like all of the cover material is split under the staple. It is possible the cover may still be attached to the comic by the small bit that is under the staple, that would make a difference. Is the cover still attached to the staple or is it popped?

I think you nailed it there, the cover is still attached, but only by a small amount still under the staple. When you look at the inside front cover, it looks firmly attached, but when you open the inside back cover, there is some noticeable separation, but still attached. This is a popped staple just waiting to happen, but hasn't happened all the way just yet. :pullhair:

Thanks for the help. Any idea what technical grade I could give it in the shape it is now? If I relist it, the listing would mention that a popped staple will be likely with any amount of rough handling.