• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you price a 9.8 if there hasn't even been a 9.6?

21 posts in this topic

How do you possibly come up with a good starting price for a book which is a 9.8 but there is only 1 9.6 and it hasn't sold in several years. GPA is a great tool but when there is no data for a book then do you just start pulling numbers out of the air to see what sticks? I guess an auction would give you the FMV for that auction but what if you wanted to set a BIN?

Example - Planet of the Apes 19 (mag) - CGC 9.8

Only the one 9.8 and 1 9.6 with 4 9.4s. It's not exactly a smoking hot book but not ice cold either. A 9.4 sold for $125 last year. So if you double to get to the 9.6 to $250 so do you double again to get to 9.8 ($500)?

I think there was a thread awhile ago similar to this one but it was more about setting a price for books you do not want to sell but just want to set a price.

Start it at 99¢ and let the market decide? (shrug)

Looking at the issues around it (and not knowing if 19 is a key issue) I would guess somewhere in the $350 to $500 range is right.

Good idea. I guess as long as you are looking for similar type of issues (non key) then any book in the run would give you a good starting point.

Another example which is tougher:

Tales of the Zombie 2 - CGC 9.8

A 9.4 went for $129 last year but I do not see another 9.8 in any of surrounding issues.

I created a spreadsheet while trying to price a Sgt. Fury 25 that I thought would grade 9.8 but only scored a 9.6.

It went from issue #1 to #45 with the CGC Census Count listed for each book in 9.8, 9.6 and 9.4 Then the average GPA Sales listed per grade. It took some time but having it all there in a spreadsheet, to look at, brought out some interesting patterns.

Good luck 1 cool, The only 9.8 is a good problem to have.

...there's a no.8 on mycomicshop....9.8 white pages, for $125 if that's any help?

Never thought to look on there because the prices can be crazy most of the time but its definitely a good reference. The #8 does have 5 copies in 9.8 but I'll check out their prices also. Thanks.

How do you possibly come up with a good starting price for a book which is a 9.8 but there is only 1 9.6 and it hasn't sold in several years. GPA is a great tool but when there is no data for a book then do you just start pulling numbers out of the air to see what sticks? I guess an auction would give you the FMV for that auction but what if you wanted to set a BIN?

Only the one 9.8 and 1 9.6 with 4 9.4s. It's not exactly a smoking hot book but not ice cold either. A 9.4 sold for $125 last year. So if you double to get to the 9.6 to $250 so do you double again to get to 9.8 ($500)?

I think there was a thread awhile ago similar to this one but it was more about setting a price for books you do not want to sell but just want to set a price.

I'll give you a serious answer. As a buyer, I expect to pay about 1.5 times as much for a 9.6 as for a 9.4 and about 1.5 times as much for a 9.8 as for a 9.6. So, I'd expect the 9.8 to sell for right around 2.25 times the 9.4 price. 4X the 9.4 price would be pretty aggressive, especially if the 9.4 got a bump for being the highest-graded copy at the time it sold. If I were selling, I'd price the book at $350 and take $280.

I'll give you a serious answer. As a buyer, I expect to pay about 1.5 times as much for a 9.6 as for a 9.4 and about 1.5 times as much for a 9.8 as for a 9.6. So, I'd expect the 9.8 to sell for right around 2.25 times the 9.4 price. 4X the 9.4 price would be pretty aggressive, especially if the 9.4 got a bump for being the highest-graded copy at the time it sold. If I were selling, I'd price the book at $350 and take $280.

thats a good answer.. but I think it applied to books with a market. Is there a real market for this book? The Apes #8 in 9.8 has been listed for a while at the $141 price.

#3 in 9.8 sold for $180

5 went for $131

8 for $99

9 for $104

and so on...

if you are looking to sell it $150 might be a good BIN maybe $200 with OBO

thats a good answer.. but I think it applied to books with a market. Is there a real market for this book? The Apes #8 in 9.8 has been listed for a while at the $141 price.

#3 in 9.8 sold for $180

5 went for $131

8 for $99

9 for $104

and so on...

if you are looking to sell it $150 might be a good BIN maybe $200 with OBO

... (thumbs u exactly what I was thinking