• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Armageddon Now! posted by john ivic

6 posts in this topic

Finally Got Around To Another X-Men Book

Won this one also in the latest Comiclink auction. The first issue to feature artwork by John Byrne. Not a bad cover, I guess. Gotta love that mid-1970s X-Men points/dollar ratio. This one is worth 420 points, five times the dollar amount I won it for. Enjoy.

16793.jpg

See more journals by john ivic

Nice book! I was outbid on the 3 books I was chasing in this CLink auction. They were impulse bids anyway so no real loss.

I've seen on the boards from CGC staff that they are looking at reviewing the registry scores for many of the bronze age x-men books in response to requests from users to lower their point value to bring them more in line with their market value and lack of scarcity. May not see that x5 registry point spread for much longer.

I've seen on the boards from CGC staff that they are looking at reviewing the registry scores for many of the bronze age x-men books in response to requests from users to lower their point value to bring them more in line with their market value and lack of scarcity. May not see that x5 registry point spread for much longer.

Really...I guess I could understand that regarding some of the X-Men #94-#143 books. For instance, an Uncanny X-Men #143 CGC 9.8 WP sells between $100-$150 and yeilds 640 registry points...the same for Uncanny X-Men #142 in CGC 9.8 selling anywhere between $200-$350 and yeilding 800 registry points. I agree that the points should come down a bit, even though it would effect my overall registry ranking; but fair is fair. I still think the early new X-Men issues #94 up to about #114 (first use of Uncanny in title) should remain the same. That's just my opinion.

However, to build on what Ronnylama argued, many of the various set types need point adjustments. For example, I think ASM #129 needs to be UPGRADED, as a 9.8 only yields 4800 registry points; if Incredible Hulk #181 CGC 9.8 yields 20,800 registry points, then an ASM #129 should be at least 10,000.

In addition, a book that I own, Daredevil #111 CGC 9.8 WP (1 of 8), which features the 1st appearance of the Silver Samurai published in July of 1974 only yields a measly "320" registry points! The book predates the 1st appearance of Incredible Hulk #180 (1st cameo appearance of Wolverine) by 3 months! The last DD #111 CGC 9.8 sold on eBay for $1300 over 2 years ago!

Therefore, if Sabretooth is Wolverine's arch enemy, then the Silver Samurai has to be one of the top 5 most noteable Wolverine villains, hence making him the main villain in the latest Wolverine movie. With that said, an Iron Fist #14 CGC 9.8 (1st Sabretooth) sells between $1300-$1600 and yeilds 2200 registry points; in contrast, a Daredevil #111 CGC 9.8 should at least be worth 1000 registry points. I would even raise the points higher, but due to not as many copies of DD #111 having been graded, I think 1000 registry points for a 9.8 is fair.

Another example is a copy of Daredevil #181 CGC 9.8 ("death" of Elektra), which can be purchased for less than $200...yields 400 registry points; again, there is no way a DD #181 CGC 9.8 should out-point my DD #111 CGC 9.8.

If changes are to be made in the X-Men #94-#143 set type...I will advocate that CGC takes a through inventory of all the various set types and update the registry points fairly.

-Professor Pecora