• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is photoshopping a slab scan ever OK?

134 posts in this topic

This photoshop thing in the "Modern's heating up" thread has me interested. Why, I'm not sure. So let's separate this discussion from the person.

Is the following OK to do:

You find out from CGC you have a CGC 9.9 coming back with serial number X.

You find a CGC 9.x of the same book and photoshop in your new serial number and maybe the grade if you can't find a 9.9.

You now use this image to represent your book in various places. Maybe on the CGC registry. Maybe on an eBay auction.

What say you?

Creating a photoshopped copy of your own book with your own real serial # is fine. It's your book

But,

Creating a photoshop of a fake 9.9 with a fake serial #, thus creating a completely new fake book, has no good reason to be done, or used in anyway IMO.

Cheers!

If used for bad intentions. (tsk)

If not, it's your book. Do what you want.

+1

+2

+3

A modern 9.9 = a modern 9.9 = a modern 9.9.

There are no differences other than the serial number. Who gives a mess if a person uses another 9.9 and photoshops in their serial number? There are really other things to be concerned about than this. meh

I've photoshopped the hell out of some of my scans in my sig line and of my books. For instance, have you ever tried to scan a big black cover like The Crow #1 or Rachel Rising #1. It oftentimes comes out like mess. I'll literally just color in the black areas with black paint. :D That's how the book looks in real life, that's how the scan should look.

I also scan books right side up and upside down then cut and paste certain sections to lose glare on the CGC case from the scanner.

Feel free to nominate me to the HOS. (thumbs u

There is an opening? Which one quit?

Your comment was unexpected. I expected the comment but from someone else. I assume since you made the comment that there must be a reason other then simply wanting the topic in CG.

If used for bad intentions. (tsk)

If not, it's your book. Do what you want.

+1

+2

+3

A modern 9.9 = a modern 9.9 = a modern 9.9.

There are no differences other than the serial number. Who gives a mess if a person uses another 9.9 and photoshops in their serial number? There are really other things to be concerned about than this. meh

I've photoshopped the hell out of some of my scans in my sig line and of my books. For instance, have you ever tried to scan a big black cover like The Crow #1 or Rachel Rising #1. It oftentimes comes out like mess. I'll literally just color in the black areas with black paint. :D That's how the book looks in real life, that's how the scan should look.

I also scan books right side up and upside down then cut and paste certain sections to lose glare on the CGC case from the scanner.

Feel free to nominate me to the HOS. (thumbs u

You guys are missing the point. The image in question used a FAKE serial #, not a real one, this creating a entirely new fake book.

EF557AC0-DFC3-48F6-AF4B-B653E91006D9_zpshx4dompk.jpg

This image is not based on a real book. It has a fake serial #. And no good reason to be created or used.

There is an opening? Which one quit?

Your comment was unexpected. I expected the comment but from someone else. I assume since you made the comment that there must be a reason other then simply wanting the topic in CG.

no I just didn't want anyone to start looking at my 9.9's and 10's.....

Does he own a 9.9?

And was he selling the fake serial numbered 9.9 or just "showing off" his 9.9?

I'm not missing the point. I just don't really find anything wrong with what he did.

:whatev:

Who knows what the image was used for? (shrug)

My question is what good reason would anyone have to photoshop a fake serial # on a slab? If you own the book, use your own serial#, why make one up? I understand blacking out the label and such to hide the serial # for registry use by others, ect , but why make a fake one? Just an opinion.