• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dulldevil Falls to Third (Almost Fourth)

78 posts in this topic

Id rather hammer thumb tacks into my scrotum with a sledgehammer than watch that movie. Id rather rub my hands back and forth on a meat slicer for an hour than watch this movie. Id rather swab the inside of a pissed off elephants rectum with my forehead than see this movie. That good? confused.gif

Actually, i think the worst of all comic movies was the hulk special movie. the one with the black-garbed daredevil. And the hulk movie with the most pathetic thor of all time. Now those, were pieces of [!@#%^&^]!

>>Actually, i think the worst of all comic movies was the hulk special movie. the one with the black-garbed daredevil.

Sure, but did they spend $80 million making it? How anyone could spend that amount of cash and come out with DD defies logic.

I know I am a little late to this thread, but right on Joe Collector!

To compare it to previous super-hero movies, Spider-man, Blade and X-Men would compare to Aliens, Terminator and Predator in overall quality, while Daredevil would be more like Rambo III.

Lotsa guns, lights and rock music, but nobody's home. Oh, and Stallone's John Rambo would have taken home the Oscar compared to DD's cast.

Great analogies . . . grin.gif

And BTW, Stallone should definitely have won an Oscar for his portrayal of John H Rambo in First Blood! grin.gif

DAM

Hey, no fair! First Blood actually had a story.

Troubled Vietnam vet is pushed to the edge by a sadistic small-town sheriff, and after finding himself in a wilderness manhunt, is is forced to push back.

Anyone else think that viewing Dulldevil shaves off about 3-5 IQ points? At least that would explain some of the fanboy reviews:

"I've seen it 10 times, and it keeps getting better and better"

lol. Wait til the DVD comes out and they'll need 24-hour care. grin.gif

No, I'm serious!! I really like First Blood! I have it on VHS!!! Great, great movie . . .

Daredevil was eerily reminiscent of Batman for me(but of course worse), but I can relate anything to Batman if I really wanted to tongue.gif

DAM

Finally saw the movie as well. Me and 20 other people on a Friday night (not a good sign!)

I thought the movie was OK too, but I did find that I spent almost the entire time filling my friend in on little plot points (like, Oh, and Elektra was actually the Kingpin's assasin for a while and they actually met in college and had this year long first-love affair and that woman who called actually knows that he is Daredevil and the Kingpin is really a lot smarter in the books and they have this complicated relationship because he had given up crime to move to Japan, but was forced to return when his wife was kidnapped . . . .) Oh never mind. The thing that my friend didn't like was the idea that Daredevil was a vigilante. I thought that was one of the things that did the most violence to the story. It is what complicates Daredevil, he can never quite BE a vigilante (like The Punisher), he *always* relies on the law to set things right and even when it doesn't, he finds ways to make the law work. Hell, he can't even kill Bullseye or even let him die out of neglect!

The problem, in a nutshell, I thought was a "comic book" -script with a "film noir" set of visuals. The result was a total mismatch. That is why I think Spiderman worked so well--it was very true to the comic genre, directed almost as if it were drawn.

I think they should have envisioned the entire Miller series of DDs as a trilogy and told the story well, with some attention to the interesting and complicated notions of who these characters are. It was just bad, superficial storytelling of what most people agree is a great story.

I did like all the name dropping though. And seeing Frank Miller get whacked by Bullseye was a hoot. And Stan Lee on the street scene was cute.

I mean the big fight is Jack Murdock versus John Romita! How can you not love that! At least they tried to take care of the fans, I just wish they had done it with the story, rather than with name dropping and cameos.

DT

Personally, I thought the name-dropping got pretty bad, especially as it built up. I inwardly groaned when I heard another "comic book name", and remembered back to interview after interveiw where the director/writer kept bringing it up, like it was some stroke of genius and somehow was an important part of the story?

"Tee heee heee, I put Joe Quesada, GeneColan and John Romita in the movie. Tee heee heee"

He sounded more like a 12-year old.

Wow, I was going to check this one out after Ebert and Roper gave it 2 thumbs up ("better than Spider-Man"). Did anyone here like it?

Cheers,

Z.

Did anyone here like it?

Yes, and actually, there were two recent polls here on whether or not people liked it, and in both cases, the vast majority of people liked the movie:

24 liked it, 14 didn't

18 liked it, 9 didn't, 7 thought it was average

The haters are just more outspoken...

I liked it. I am actually going to see it a second time tonight with my family. It's just one of those movies where it is so easy to follow you can just relax and enjoy the daredevil goodness of it. Um yeah k bye.

Ericc123