• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman: Dark Knight Returns 1-4 all 9.8

7 posts in this topic

Very nice set of one of the all-time classic storylines, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a big price for 4 Modern books that aren't difficult to find. Look at the CGC census - a full 42 out of 245 DK #1s submitted were graded 9.8, an unusually high percentage of the miniscule amount of the print run that has been slabbed to date.

Might still be a reasonable price for a collector with spare cash, but as for "investing" in this set, forget it.

Gene

I agree with Kerste. Great set for the collector, bad set for the investor. Those books were hoarded and are tough to damage if unopened. Im surprised there arent more 9.9s or 10.0s of that series.

Agreed. This is my favorite series of all time (and the reason that to this day I will buy anything with Frank Miller's name on it) but from an investment point of view I can't see it being that great a deal. These books were hoarded from day one, and as pointed out earlier, there are already a bunch of high grade examples. I know there are tons of these that have never been and may never be sent to CGC. I myself have a set that I would grade in the 9.6 to 9.8 range (every time I have sent in a book that I thought was a 9.6, I have gotten back a 9.8 so I am being pretty conservative) Also, with the trade paperback and the second printings, very few of these books were ever opened (mine included).

Agreed. This is my favorite series of all time (and the reason that to this day I will buy anything with Frank Miller's name on it) but from an investment point of view I can't see it being that great a deal. These books were hoarded from day one, and as pointed out earlier, there are already a bunch of high grade examples. I know there are tons of these that have never been and may never be sent to CGC. I myself have a set that I would grade in the 9.6 to 9.8 range (every time I have sent in a book that I thought was a 9.6, I have gotten back a 9.8 so I am being pretty conservative) Also, with the trade paperback and the second printings, very few of these books were never even opened (mine included).

Thanks for the reality check guys. It is such a great series that to get them all in one fell swoop in 9.8 is pretty neat! Although, not at that price . . .

DAM