• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New to this and looking for advice

20 posts in this topic

I just got into hard copies of comics and bought a few recently. Some from new 52 batman, some of slotts spiderman work, and a couple mcfarlanes (incredible hulk 9.4 and spiderman 301).

I'm attending ny comic con this year and have no idea what to expect. How do I get my signed comics verified by CGC? Does someone from CGC stand by every signer?

Im looking to get signed comics by Snyder, Capullo, Mcfarlane, and Slott. I read on the board here that McFarlane is not allowing CGC to verify comics at NYCC which totally sucks as i just spent some $ on his books and I would have loved to get them verified as a signature series.

thanks for the links!

I did read the second one and see the following comment

>I will be attending a show CGC is setup at, how do I get books signed?

>See one of the helpful staff at the show and they can get you going in right direction

What actually is the procedure? Do they then meet me at the booth(s)? Im afraid im walking into nycc blind not know what to do other than asking someone for help

McFarlane does a signing annually although this year he did one in the Spring and will do one in the Fall. There's a facilitator handling his signing this year. If I were you, I'd go to them to submit your book. If you want, you can add Peter David's sig as well since he worked with Todd on Hulk. He'll be at the con and doesn't charge for his signature although there may be a fee from the facilitator to get Peter David's signature.

As for the others, you've got a good shot of getting them so long as you wait on line as early as possible for Capullo & Snyder since they're huge at the moment. They do cap the line at a certain point which makes it real important for you to be there immediately when the floor opens. They usually have a two book limit per person to ensure everyone on line gets a signature. When you get your books signed, there will be a CGC witness who waits for you and others. Once a sizale group is organized, you all walk together like a pack of penguins to the CGC booth to fill out paperwork and supply payment. DC Booth Signings are located in Artist Alley, in the back. DC usually posts something on their site a few days before regarding creator signing schedules for the whole convention.

Dan Slott is harder because everyone wants his sig, some people want to talk with him and he doesn't stop talking once he starts which slows the line down. This is another one where you have to wait on line early to get his signature. He signs at the Marvel Booth. You would need to make sure that a CGC witness from the main floor is present for the signing in order to then be escrted and submit your book properly. Marvel Comics, too, will post online (as well as on flyers at their booth) when signings will take place and with whom.

CGC sets up a booth at Artists Alley and in the main level in the convention floor. This helps cover any signings happening at any comic publisher booths on the main floor.

My advise to you is to treat this like war because the convention floor can be as hellish as the body odor of some fans.

- RESEARCH: What books do you want signed and by whom? Sure you can get an autograph but I think it's cooler if you have th artist, writer, inker, colorist and publisher sign a book as it stands out from the single signed books. I usually create my own spreadsheet that details exactly when creators are around and how I can get sigs on a particular book on that one day without any further headaches. Check out the NYCC site weekly for updates. Follow publishers and creators you admire on facebook, twitter and instagram to see what info they release to their fans before it hits the NYCC site. There are times where things change (like their appearance schedule or they've been moved to another table in Artist Alley). Usually this info is not included on the site. Check the comic publisher sites about a week or two before NYCC to see what their schedules are going to be.

- COMFORT: Your stomach, back, feet and wallet will thank you if you:

- Pack your own lunch (that money you saved can be used on comics or art).

I usually pack a sandwich, granola bar, jerkey and a bottled water.

- Bring only books you will definitely be signing that day. Also leave room in

your backpack for convention purchases.

- Wear comfortable sneakers as you will walk like crazy in the big

convention.

- Browse before you buy. All these vendors want your business. You have

the power. What one vendor may charge for a book, another may sell the

same book in the same grade at a lower price. There are deals to be had

and you can talk them down a price if you're buying a good stack of

books. That's especially the case for Sunday.

Same goes for artwork you commission or prints artists sell. Always survey

the area for items and pricing. Once you've mentally selected what you

wanted, figure out what you want the most. Prints range from $10-$40

depending on artist. Commission prices can go from $20 to $800

depending on artist, paper (sketch cover, 9 X 12 or 11 X 17 paper), it it's

done in marker, copics, india ink or simple pencils. It's easy to go crazy,

blow your budget and reach for the Credit Card so be mindful of what you

spend your money on.

I've gone to every NYCC since it started and enjoy it immensely. Hopefully, you have a great experience. Happy hunting!

Thank you so so much for writing this! I hate going into something unprepared and this is very helpful!

My plan of attack originally was to go in Thursday morning at 10AM, go on the Snyder/Capullo line and get a few comics and funko pop (new 52 batman) signed, then go on the mcfarlane line and get a few books signed there, and then slott. I was saving slott for last as i have a few more expensive books by the others and rather get them signed/slabbed asap.

Based on what ive read here my plans changed a bit.

Im going to go in at 10AM and rush to artist alley and get on the snyder/capullo line. There i will get the following signed:

- Batman #1 - dont have yet but looking for it on ebay every day

- Another book - not sure which yet but i love some of capullos covers so i have a wide array of which to choose

- I know you mentioned only 2 books are allowed but ill bring my new 52 pop just in case as i love the thing

Then im going to find a cgc guy and if slott is still open bring him

- Spiderman #1 - in the mail (hopefully)

- Superior Spiderman #1 - dont have it yet but perusing ebay

I was originally going to bring the following to the McFarlane section:

- Incredible Hulk 340 - Have it already but need to unslab it

- Spiderman #1 green

- Spiderman #1 silver

- Spiderman #301 - have it but need to unslab

- spiderman #300 - Perusing Ebay but its so expensive, i found an 8.5 for 140 thinking of getting that

I emailed AnastasiCollectibles about getting these signed by McFarlane and Lee, hopefully they dont charge too much. If they can add any other artists to the list that would be wonderful.

I completely agree that getting everyone involved to sign is the optimal thing to do. I dont know these artists personally but i love their work and there are multiple people that put themselves into each comic book.

I currently only have tickets to thursday, not sure if that will be enough but tickets are crazy priced right now. If they die down closer to con id like to buy a friday or 3 day.

If you're in the NYC area, Midtown Comics is hosting an event in September to sell tickets to the public. This will most likely be insane as this will be the first time that they'll be the exclusive seller of NYCC tickets. I believe this is to control the flipping of tickets on Ebay. I was on line last year at Midtown Comics Downtown and stayed overnight to get my tickets. That was a fun and tiring event.

Although Snyder, Capullo & McFarlane are at the con all days, Dan Slott is only there on Saturday & Sunday. You may have to drop your book off with a facilitator to get the book signed.

If you want something new & different to do, you can get the SPAWN/BATMAN one shot that McFarlane & Frank Miller worked on. Apparently Capullo did the artwork in that book as well so you can get both Capullo & McFarlane to sign that book. Technically it's his first Batman work -- http://www.spawn.com/news/news2.aspx?id=12913

dang there's some good info up in this piece.

Yea this advice is awesome, exactly what i was looking for. I cant open that link at work but i did google it at work and they talked about some unreleased comic. i hope that link was old and they released it. There is however an old crossover with miller and mcfarlane thats available.

I actually am not tooo far from midtown comics, like an hour and half away, but i dont know how reasonable it will be to camp outside overnight. Ill see, hopefully i can buy some tickets off of people that bought extras.

Thanks for all the advice. Ill keep checking out the board i saw some cool stuff here this morning on how to ship comics too.

i'm new to all of this as well. I just did my first signings on my own back in June, and it went really well.

I got more done on day 1 than I did on the other days. In terms of being able to track a CGC witness down.

now i'm addicted. welcome!

Im new to the boards and CGC SS collecting as well, Ive attended comic con the last 5 years but these guys have given you some great advice which hopefully I will be using as well since this will be my first time getting some SS signatures my self this year.

There are also some very nice CGC Facilitators on the boards who for a few will get your books you cant get signed at certain events without the hassel of you your self doing the leg work, I love getting to meet my favorite writers and artist but they are awesome guys who were a big help when I started a few months back.

Although the people you want sigs from don't charge, there may be others that do. Be sure to factor that into your budget. Always ask before you get a book signed. Last thing you want is to be surprised.

Neal Adams charges $20 for his sig. Rob Liefeld (not sure if he's going to NYCC) upped his d-o-u-c-h-e factor by charging varying rates on books depending on if its the 1st Appearance of Deadpool or Cable or if it just stars Deadpool ranging from $15-$50.

Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, an old school artist and a class act, only asks for a donation (any amount you want) that goes toward Hero Initiative charity. Chris Claremont charges $10 (although it might go up this year). Len Wein charges $20 as well.

Prices are subject to based on creator, attitude and inflation. Always ask before you get a SIG.

Before? You mean they sign your comic and thne say "hey you owe me"? Thats kinda messed up

I hope snyder/capullo dont charge. I love their work. Id also love miller/lee/moore signs but i dont know if they even do signings anymore

Last pictures I saw of Frank Miller looks like he is not going to be with us much longer. Capullo has never charged me yet.

Usually when artists and writers sign at a publisher's booth, they do not charge a fee since they're promoting their books.

FYI, although not listed, MIKE PERKINS will be at NYCC but won't have a table. He'll be signing at, I believe, the Marvel booth. He's also offering pre-con commissions on his facebook page --

https://www.facebook.com/perkyperk