• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man Hobgoblin Keys 238 & 239

18 posts in this topic

Check out the final bid prices on these two comics. They guide for 70 and 40 respectively:

Issue 238 CGC 9.8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2160010584&category=77

Issue 239 CGC 9.8

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=17082&item=2160820549&rd=1

Does the discrepancy in final bid price seem particularly odd? Either one was way over-priced, or one was way under-priced. Opinions?

It's the 9.8 label which explains the crazy prices, but the #238 obviously ended a lot higher because it is more of a "key" issue. Looks like the high bidder on the #238 isn't gonna pay shocked.gif

Objectively, Batman 404 is a bigger key than ASM 239. ASM 238, no, but ASM 239 yes grin.gif

The highly acclaimed Year One by Miller vs the second Hobgoblin . . . .seems like no contest to me, but I think we all know that I can't help but being a little biased . . .

DAM

i'm not challenging your assertion that batman 404 (which i also have in HG) is a bigger key than ASM 239. but between BUYING Batty 404 for 331 or ASM 239 for 127.50 - THAT DECISION is a no-brainer for me... tongue.gif

just curious...

anyone follow how much 239 in 9.8 has gone for in recent months? i have no idea. but now that i have this copy, does that mean i'll have to upgrade my 238 in 9.6, cause that'll put me down a few bills.... frown.gif

I never imagened that AMS#238 would go that high...well i guess i better give on up getting a cgc copy of it `cause they`re too hot for my pockets mad.gif

I just don`t know why is Batman year one so underrated confused.gif i mean, it is considered to ba a mark in the batman series so why is it so underated???

Mainly because ASM 238 came out, and most collectors slammed Hobgoblin as a pale rip-off of the Green Goblin. It wasn't a valuable comic even into the late-80's and early-90's. Maybe $8-$10 I think, and even that took a long while to move, as fans started to appreciate the character and come onboard.

Batman Year One was an immediate hit, hoarded like a bugger, and never realy became valuable or collectible as a result. Everyone that wanted one, had one, and many times 10+ copies.

Valuable, highly collectible comics NEVER become that way overnight, as it contradicts the entire concept.

I have a 238 9.8 oww and a 239 9.8 white pgs. The 239's have come down a lot since I got mine during the spidey hype. Although if the 239 that ended had white pgs it would have probably had more action on it. There are very few 238 9.8's with white pgs for some reason as opposed to 239.

Never did really understand why ASM #239 was tagged a 'key' issue. It is the second appearance of the Hobgoblin, so what? I think it is overvalued in OS.

ASM #238 however is a solid key and also has one of the best ever Spidey new villain covers (much better than ASM #300 for example).