• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four will historically be known as what killed the comic movie craze!

490 posts in this topic

Umm...yeah. Nick Fury's arguably far more important a character to the comic book movies than is Johnny Storm.

Nick Fury wasn`t an important character in the comics, and especially with mainstream. Nobody outside of a few geeks in comics cared about him like Johnny Storm.

Kudos though to Samuel Jackson for taking a second rate character into a major player.

Point?

It`s easier to take a second rate comic book character like Nick Fury, and make him your own, than take an established iconic character like Johnny Storm.

It`s much more believable and easier to do what Samuel Jackson did with Nick Fury, than let`s say Superman.

Nick Fury never was established with mainstream, while Johnny Storm or Superman is.

My name is Dave, and I guess I'm a comic geek

This imaginary 'PC Police' that everyone is 'tired' of... what exactly have they accomplished? What changes have they brought about that everyone wants to reverse?
Zis zeems xilly: Pronoun Usage

If you want to diversify and expand your customer base, you cater to as many people as possible.

It didn`t work though with the FF did it?

That casting choice had nothing to do with diversity or expanding the customer base.

It had to do with choosing a quality, somewhat name actor, to play the part.

Once again, Marvel did it with Nick Fury, who is MUCH BIGGER part of the Marvel Universe now than Johnny Storm is, and it worked out just fine as he's played a part in the most SUCCESSFUL and BIGGEST MONEY making superhero franchise ever put to screen.

With your logic is they should have hired a few white actors to play some of the NWA members.

Thankfully the producers of Straight Outta Compton had more common sense than the Fantastic Four producers.

No, because white kids are already brainwashed by MTV to listen to rap. There's no need to expand the audience.

PLUS :makepoint: DUH, those are REAL people that are being portrayed in the movie.

I don't agree with the casting choice they made for Johnny Storm, but, to say it was the reason the movie failed is just.... wrong.

:facepalm:

it's too early for this mess

Let`s get this straight.

I didn`t like the FF reboot because it just sucked.

My point is I encountered many people off the record who were lived that they cast Michael B. Jordan , and told me personally they would not go to it.

This just wasn`t comic geeks. I had never before encountered this kind of thinking with people before.

That`s why I am pointing out that this casting had something to do with it.

It wasn`t just white people. I had blacks and Spanish people telling me this was a condescending move, and they wanted their own heroes.

My Spanish black brother in law told me that they want original characters, and not some white character given to them as a token.

So not only do you have blacks and Spanish feeling upset about this casting, but you also turned off the hard core FF fans.

So in conclusion that`s what happens when you have PC people interfering and trying to control the masses of what they should say and watch.

Golly, you were able to sum up the views of the entire world based upon what a couple of people you know in your town told you?

Maybe you hang out with the wrong kind of people.

:facepalm:

it's too early for this mess

Let`s get this straight.

I didn`t like the FF reboot because it just sucked.

My point is I encountered many people off the record who were lived that they cast Michael B. Jordan , and told me personally they would not go to it.

This just wasn`t comic geeks. I had never before encountered this kind of thinking with people before.

That`s why I am pointing out that this casting had something to do with it.

It wasn`t just white people. I had blacks and Spanish people telling me this was a condescending move, and they wanted their own heroes.

My Spanish black brother in law told me that they want original characters, and not some white character given to them as a token.

So not only do you have blacks and Spanish feeling upset about this casting, but you also turned off the hard core FF fans.

So in conclusion that`s what happens when you have PC people interfering and trying to control the masses of what they should say and watch.

Golly, you were able to sum up the views of the entire world based upon what a couple of people you know in your town told you?

Maybe you hang out with the wrong kind of people.

The stereotype of the TV show Cheers is long gone.

Boston is a melting pot. I wouldn`t call it a town.

I probably live in one of the most diverse cities in the world.

When we ever have that drink at the Boston Comic Con. I `ll show you around.

:)

That casting choice had nothing to do with diversity or expanding the customer base.

Fantastic Four Director on Johnny Storm's Race & the Reboot's Tone

“I had just come off working with Michael B. Jordan and his character, Steve, in Chronicle had a lot of similar characteristics to Johnny Storm," said Trank. "And I thought it would be interesting to take the family dynamic of the Storms, which is brother and sister, and bring that more into the 21st century in terms of what we consider the norm. I have mixed family in my own family and it’s something that isn’t out of the ordinary anymore but we don’t really see it portrayed in the casual reality of the movies. That’s something I felt that would be interesting and challenging, to have mixed siblings.

Sounds like it had everything to do with the director's personal desire for diversity.

I had just come off working with Michael B. Jordan and his character, Steve, in Chronicle had a lot of similar characteristics to Johnny Storm," said Trank. "And I thought it would be interesting to take the family dynamic of the Storms, which is brother and sister, and bring that more into the 21st century in terms of what we consider the norm. I have mixed family in my own family and its something that isnt out of the ordinary anymore but we dont really see it portrayed in the casual reality of the movies. Thats something I felt that would be interesting and challenging, to have mixed siblings.

Sounds like it had everything to do with the director's personal desire for diversity.

whoops. but i'll still stick with 'that's not why the movie failed' and 'that's a director reflecting his own life experience' vs 'anything to do with pc police' or related backlash.

“I had just come off working with Michael B. Jordan and his character, Steve, in Chronicle had a lot of similar characteristics to Johnny Storm," said Trank. "And I thought it would be interesting to take the family dynamic of the Storms, which is brother and sister, and bring that more into the 21st century in terms of what we consider the norm. I have mixed family in my own family and it’s something that isn’t out of the ordinary anymore but we don’t really see it portrayed in the casual reality of the movies. That’s something I felt that would be interesting and challenging, to have mixed siblings.

In the very first sentence he says "his character, Steve, in Chronicle had a lot of similar characteristics to Johnny Storm"... that has nothing to do with diversity. It has to do with characteristics of the character.

The secondary thought process of mixed siblings was 'interesting and challenging', and added because of the similarity with his own family. It wasn't done to be 'PC' or to expand the customer base.

If we assume Trank cast Storm as a black actor in the name of diversity, describing that as "political correctness" is a complete mischaracterization of what he did. Being politically correct is acting in a way that runs counter to what we actually feel to avoid appearing biased against another race, religion, ethnicity, or gender when we don't actually have that bias. That's not what Trank was doing--he believed in what he did and did it to try to expand the minds of his audience to look at black people in a better light. It's the same reason Stan Lee made an effort to introduce characters like T'Challa or the Falcon--to explicitly change people's minds.

The most annoying thing I hear in public life is celebrities who are DEFINITELY biased against whatever group they're complaining about as being held back by "political correctness." Those people are trying to use the term as a blank check to be free to be as racist, sexist, or anti-religious as they prefer to be without being called out on how they actually feel. (tsk)

I want to highlight a post from a few pages back that said effectively:

Had they cast Zac Efron as Johnny Storm rather than Michael B. Jordan, the film still would have failed.

Exactly. Nobody was boycotting this due to "PC casting" -- they boycotted it because it was not a great movie.

You going to start railing against Suicide Squad now because a white Deadshot's being played by a black Will Smith?

I want to highlight a post from a few pages back that said effectively:

Had they cast Zac Efron as Johnny Storm rather than Michael B. Jordan, the film still would have failed.

Exactly. Nobody was boycotting this due to "PC casting" -- they boycotted it because it was not a great movie.

You going to start railing against Suicide Squad now because a white Deadshot's being played by a black Will Smith?

Nope because Deadshot never had a history like Johnny Storm.

This will be Will Smith`s character now just like he owned the Men in Black comic book character James Darrell Edwards III.

Comparing Deadshot to an iconic historic famous character like Johnny Storm is :screwy:

btw I applaud Warner Bros. giving the role of Deadshot to Will Smith.

Smart common sense business move.

Taking a no name character and getting a big star to play the role!

Will Smith will put Deadshot on the map and make the character Deadshot famous!

That`s how it`s done correctly.

Umm...yeah. Nick Fury's arguably far more important a character to the comic book movies than is Johnny Storm.

Nick Fury wasn`t an important character in the comics, and especially with mainstream. Nobody outside of a few geeks in comics cared about him like Johnny Storm.

Kudos though to Samuel Jackson for taking a second rate character into a major player.

Point?

It`s easier to take a second rate comic book character like Nick Fury, and make him your own, than take an established iconic character like Johnny Storm.

It`s much more believable and easier to do what Samuel Jackson did with Nick Fury, than let`s say Superman.

Nick Fury never was established with mainstream, while Johnny Storm or Superman is.

Sort of how RDJ took Iron Man and made him his own? Because the character of Tony Stark in the movies is not the same Tony Stark from the comics.

Point?

Sort of how RDJ took Iron Man and made him his own? Because the character of Tony Stark in the movies is not the same Tony Stark from the comics.

Yep.

There are certain characters that can`t be changed too much because they are too famous.

Iron Man wasn`t really famous like Batman,Superman,Spider-Man,Luke Skywalker or FF.

He is now though thanks to RDJ.

The internet always explodes over someone playing Batman. Heck even Keaton was considered a terrible choice. Terrible example. Would the internet explode if Will Smith was cast as Hal Carter? Doubt it.

I don't remember Battlestar Galactica having a problem with a female Starbuck and Boomer or a hispanic Adama.

I tend to agree with others, if a movie is good, it doesn't matter who plays the characters. I'd even argue a gender change wouldn't matter if the movie is good.

I don't remember Battlestar Galactica having a problem with a female Starbuck and Boomer or a hispanic Adama.

I tend to agree with others, if the movie was good, it doesn't matter who plays the character. I'd even argue a gender change wouldn't matter if the movie is good.

Battlestar Galactica was never at Star Wars level.

Ask anybody on the street who Starbuck or Boomer was, then go ask who Luke and Han Solo were?

Same thing is go ask anybody on the street who the Human Torch is,then go ask them who Deadshot is.

hm

Well, that might be a bad example now because to millions of people the Human Torch is now Michael B. Jordan.

:grin:

But...Michael B. Jordan played Johnny Storm as an arrogant, hot-headed wise-.

Sort of like how Chris Evans played Johnny Storm as an arrogant, hot-headed wise-.

Like he is in the comics.

The character was a decent portrayal in both cases, regardless of race.

Although, some reviewers noted that Jessica Alba's portrayal of Sue Storm would have never have flown in today's world -- you know, a Hispanic actress playing effectively in "white face" -- with dyed blonde hair & blue contact lenses.

True -- I don't recall any outrage at her (arbitrary race-changing) casting then.