• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four will historically be known as what killed the comic movie craze!

490 posts in this topic

This imaginary 'PC Police' that everyone is 'tired' of... what exactly have they accomplished? What changes have they brought about that everyone wants to reverse?
Zis zeems xilly: Pronoun Usage

If you want to diversify and expand your customer base, you cater to as many people as possible.

It didn`t work though with the FF did it?

With your logic is they should have hired a few white actors to play some of the NWA members.

Thankfully the producers of Straight Outta Compton had more common sense than the Fantastic Four producers.

You've officially lost the plot when you start comparing real people to fictional characters.

But...Michael B. Jordan played Johnny Storm as an arrogant, hot-headed wise-.

Sort of like how Chris Evans played Johnny Storm as an arrogant, hot-headed wise-.

Like he is in the comics.

The character was a decent portrayal in both cases, regardless of race.

Although, some reviewers noted that Jessica Alba's portrayal of Sue Storm would have never have flown in today's world -- you know, a Hispanic actress playing effectively in "white face" -- with dyed blonde hair & blue contact lenses.

True -- I don't recall any outrage at her (arbitrary race-changing) casting then.

The bottom line the movie failed.

Time to move on.

I don`t think there is much more we can discuss about this epic failure.

R.I.P. Fantastic Four reboot.

I`m getting ready for Star Wars, James Bond and Batman vs.. Superman.

I expect all three to be big critical and blockbuster hits!

:cloud9:

Umm...yeah. Nick Fury's arguably far more important a character to the comic book movies than is Johnny Storm.

Nick Fury wasn`t an important character in the comics, and especially with mainstream. Nobody outside of a few geeks in comics cared about him like Johnny Storm.

Kudos though to Samuel Jackson for taking a second rate character into a major player.

Point?

It`s easier to take a second rate comic book character like Nick Fury, and make him your own, than take an established iconic character like Johnny Storm.

It`s much more believable and easier to do what Samuel Jackson did with Nick Fury, than let`s say Superman.

Nick Fury never was established with mainstream, while Johnny Storm or Superman is.

Sort of how RDJ took Iron Man and made him his own? Because the character of Tony Stark in the movies is not the same Tony Stark from the comics.

Yep.

There are certain characters that can`t be changed too much because they are too famous.

Iron Man wasn`t really famous like Batman,Superman,Spider-Man,Luke Skywalker or FF.

He is now though thanks to RDJ.

They changed Superman for Man of Steel.

It was the most successful Superman movie ever made.

This imaginary 'PC Police' that everyone is 'tired' of... what exactly have they accomplished? What changes have they brought about that everyone wants to reverse?
Zis zeems xilly: Pronoun Usage

If you want to diversify and expand your customer base, you cater to as many people as possible.

It didn`t work though with the FF did it?

With your logic is they should have hired a few white actors to play some of the NWA members.

Thankfully the producers of Straight Outta Compton had more common sense than the Fantastic Four producers.

You've officially lost the plot when you start comparing real people to fictional characters.

I get what your saying, but some hip-hoppers had super gangsta alter-ego personalities. Kind of like Kiss was an extension of Gene,Paul,Ace and Peter.

Names like Ice Cube,Dr. Dre and Eazy-E were in away their alter-egos.

Those HIP-HOPPERS were the new kind of super heroes to a lot of people growing up in the late 80s and early 90s.

Umm...yeah. Nick Fury's arguably far more important a character to the comic book movies than is Johnny Storm.

Nick Fury wasn`t an important character in the comics, and especially with mainstream. Nobody outside of a few geeks in comics cared about him like Johnny Storm.

Kudos though to Samuel Jackson for taking a second rate character into a major player.

Point?

It`s easier to take a second rate comic book character like Nick Fury, and make him your own, than take an established iconic character like Johnny Storm.

It`s much more believable and easier to do what Samuel Jackson did with Nick Fury, than let`s say Superman.

Nick Fury never was established with mainstream, while Johnny Storm or Superman is.

Sort of how RDJ took Iron Man and made him his own? Because the character of Tony Stark in the movies is not the same Tony Stark from the comics.

Yep.

There are certain characters that can`t be changed too much because they are too famous.

Iron Man wasn`t really famous like Batman,Superman,Spider-Man,Luke Skywalker or FF.

How did they change Superman?

Point?

Yep.

They made him a KILLER!!!!!!

Point?

Yep.

That's incorrect. He had killed villains before the movie. That's been shown repeatedly. Even John Byrne had made him into a killer when he took out Zod and crew in the comics.

Superman_Phantom_Zone_execution.jpg

Superman #22 (October 1988)

Point?

Yep.

That's incorrect. He had killed villains before the movie. That's been shown repeatedly. Even John Byrne had made him into a killer when he took out Zod and crew in the comics.

Superman_Phantom_Zone_execution.jpg

Superman #22 (October 1988)

irony3.jpg

Point of Order:

Inflation-adjusted, the most successful Superman was Superman: The Movie.

You know - that flick with the ridiculous & unnecessary change where travels through time to reverse Lois' death?

On this, you are correct.

6MbMFmN.png

I haven't updated my DC tables yet to 2015 inflation. But you get the idea.

Point of Order:

Inflation-adjusted, the most successful Superman was Superman: The Movie.

You know - that flick with the ridiculous & unnecessary change where travels through time to reverse Lois' death?

On this, you are correct.

6MbMFmN.png

I haven't updated my DC tables yet to 2015 inflation. But you get the idea.

Superman IV - $15 million worldwide! :roflmao:

Although, some reviewers noted that Jessica Alba's portrayal of Sue Storm would have never have flown in today's world -- you know, a Hispanic actress playing effectively in "white face" -- with dyed blonde hair & blue contact lenses.

True -- I don't recall any outrage at her (arbitrary race-changing) casting then.

And those reviewers should be ridiculed for making broad generalizations. My fiancé is Spanish and Chilean, and she has natural blonde hair and blue eyes. Louis CK is a ginger Mexican. The theory that all Hispanics are swarthy brunettes is an idea that shouldn't fly in today's world. 2c

And those reviewers should be ridiculed for making broad generalizations. My fiancé is Spanish and Chilean, and she has natural blonde hair and blue eyes. Louis CK is a ginger Mexican. The theory that all Hispanics are swarthy brunettes is an idea that shouldn't fly in today's world. 2c

John Byrne became somewhat infamous in 2004 for saying this in his own forums about Alba as Sue Storm:

Personal prejudice: Hispanic and Latino women with blond hair look like hookers to me, no matter how clean or ‘cute’ they are.

John Byrne became somewhat infamous in 2004 for saying this in his own forums about Alba as Sue Storm:

Personal prejudice: Hispanic and Latino women with blond hair look like hookers to me, no matter how clean or ‘cute’ they are.

I can't argue that Alba looked ridiculous, most likely due to that dollar store wig she had on. But that's a terrible statement, even though I can't disagree that dark skinned people with blonde hair looks silly to me. Alba isn't dark, and my fiancé is whiter than I am, and certainly doesn't look like a hooker. :sumo: