• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.8 but has paper defects aside spine front and back?

26 posts in this topic

I bought this from an attendee that had it graded onsite in 2013. I was very surprised when I received it but figured I would just let it be. Is this 9.8? Looks pretty ordinary to me. I was looking at selling two of my con CGCs and don't want to pass on a dud graded comic to anyone. Thoughts?

156959.jpg.fe2bdca41e0b7518f721e1f4944eca38.jpg

156960.jpg.5307a61b86d74c2fe36a8dc2e9b1dbf2.jpg

156961.jpg.ee876eeee566c75f0219be0cb7926867.jpg

156962.jpg.9b263faa73fbd860c911977bdbd39246.jpg

WTTB Happyman!

Batman is quite a thick book and I wonder if it was scuffed when being put into the inner sleeve, i.e. after grading? Not sure how likely this would be but seems possible. Are you in a position to return it to the seller for inspection?

BTW have you checked out the NOOB GUIDE?

Too long ago to return it I think - was from someone in here though so will get in touch with them if they are still around. I used to be puppetmasterinoz but couldn't log in for some reason so had to create a new one. I hadn't been active for 12 months though I don't think? Would be good to get back into that one as would have message history from the person I bought it from. DO CGC not insert it themselves? Am in Australia so have never gone down that path here.

Too long ago to return it I think - was from someone in here though so will get in touch with them if they are still around. I used to be puppetmasterinoz but couldn't log in for some reason so had to create a new one. I hadn't been active for 12 months though I don't think? Would be good to get back into that one as would have message history from the person I bought it from. DO CGC not insert it themselves? Am in Australia so have never gone down that path here.

WBTTB Puppetmasterinoz!

Maybe the mods can get you back into your old account?

CGC do the all the grading & encapsulating. I've heard stories of the thicker books getting scuffed when inserted into the thinner sleeves. It's the only logical answer I can think of. I wouldn't have thought those defects would go unnoticed at grading!

Welcome back! It reckon it would be good to get some advice on your problem from one of the more experienced boardies. Post a :bump: just before you go to bed over there in Oz and someone may pick it up when they log in en masse (thumbs u

1. It might be considered a production defect for that issue. If so, CGC may not count it against the grade.

2. If you sell, and feel like it's something that should be noted to the buyer, just disclose it as you've done here.

This one also has the same defects and it's also graded a 9.8.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Comics-Batman-21-Zero-Year-SDCC-Variant-CGC-SS-9-8-Signed-Snyder-Capullo-/291533525040?hash=item43e0c09030

I've also seen other 9.8's of this issue in the past that had the same defect. So maybe it is a Production flaw that CGC doesn't count against it when grading them.

WOW... that book does have the same defects! Can't believe it's "allowable" :o

And my Batman #444 gets a 9.6 for a small non-colour breaking printing defect on the back cover...

WOW... that book does have the same defects! Can't believe it's "allowable" :o

And my Batman #444 gets a 9.6 for a small non-colour breaking printing defect on the back cover...

Yeah I couldn't believe it either, I was looking for a CGC 9.8 of this book a while back and when I was in the market for one I've seen at least 10 of them that were graded at a 9.8 that had that defect.

Yeah I couldn't believe it either, I was looking for a CGC 9.8 of this book a while back and when I was in the market for one I've seen at least 10 of them that were graded at a 9.8 that had that defect.

:o:o

My question is if a defect is determined by CGC to be common on a particular issue and is given a free pass, what about the first few that possibly get hammered because the defect was wide-known before it becomes acceptable at CGC?

They probably take it on the chin for the rest of us. How about isolated books that, on any given day, will be viewed by CGC as production or handling. This is especially true of chips. I once had a vintage Silver Age book with a dangling corner chip. It was viewed as handling and downgraded on my submission. I sell the book only to see the chip 'removed' and resubmitted. This time it was treated as production and not downgraded. So a chip is removed and the grade goes up. Those are the rules we play by.