• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: New Mutants 98 (Newsstand) Grade is in after press

13 posts in this topic

Greetings,

Going through my personal collection after many years in storage. I'm trying to learn more about grading and I figured I'd start with NM 98.

The biggest issue is the cover is miss wrapped and the staple is off center. Also, there are over a dozen small breaks on the back spine (no color break, despite what it looks like in the picture). There is a small indention above the marvel logo. The bottom right corner isn't sharp and the back right corner is a bit wavy. I

In addition to the estimated current grade, what would the grade be if the cover and staples were fine?

Sorry for the bad pictures with the dark background. I'll try to do better next time.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0355%20John%20Hustads%20conflicted%20copy%202015-07-22.jpg

Thanks for the comment and question. I'm going to get a scanner before posting any more requests.

I definitely think this needs a press (something that I have read a lot about, but haven't had a pro do for me yet).

In addition to learning about grading, I'm also trying to figure out if it is worth sending to CGC or just selling raw after a press given the staple and cover wrap problems.

Thanks for the comment and question. I'm going to get a scanner before posting any more requests.

I definitely think this needs a press (something that I have read a lot about, but haven't had a pro do for me yet).

In addition to learning about grading, I'm also trying to figure out if it is worth sending to CGC or just selling raw after a press given the staple and cover wrap problems.

Cover wrap shouldn't deter you from slabbing it since CGC will not consider it a defect. It looks like you have a couple slight "dings" on the lower right back cover which may press out and IF they do then you would do better to get it graded over selling it raw IMO. If it comes back a 9.6 then you have a $400 book whereas you get $250 for a NMish raw book. Good luck!

Thanks again, 1Cool! I am encouraged. I was thinking that I'd take a big hit on the cover. CGC wasn't around when I was collecting and I only sent my first batch to get graded out about 2 months ago.

I'll get this pressed in the near future and come back with an update.

Finally was able to get a scanner. Happy to hear more feedback. Going to send this away for pressing and then to CGC soon. Happy to hear feedback on my scan/picture quality. I have a few more books I'd like to get help on down the road and want everything to be as good as possible.

NM98_front.jpg

NM98_back.jpg

Send this out for a press and that person sent the book directly to CGC so I don't have any pictures of the book after the press.

However, the grade is in:

nm98.jpg

Wow.

Congrats man!

ETA: Holy you got a press AND a grade in just 5 weeks!!?? :o