• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will Hulk 1 ever pass AF15?

35 posts in this topic

It just seems unfair to compare the two -- Spider-man was an instant hit that grew into THE Marvel everything. The Hulk didn't last past 6 issues and was a dud out of the gate (also a big reason the book is harder to find in grade perhaps). I can understand why since the many layers that were Peter Parker was placed against a somewhat one-dimensional hero-monster in the Hulk.

It seems like it took the Hulk forever to get his own book again -- and he was part of this and that group all over the place. But let's face it-- how complex are the scripts for the Hulk? The art is great much of the time but other wise-- other than 181 and the early Hulk books-- the demand for most of the Hulk books is relatively low compared to key after key book you can rattle off for ASM. I write that because I see the lack of Hulk's success hurting the popularity of the first Hulk. Daredevil was in similar shoes and almost got axed likewise if not for Wally Wood saving the series and the later rejuvenation provided by Miller.

Fair or not-- more people want that AF 15 than a Hulk 1 simply because more people like/know/appreciate/collect Spider-man. The saving grace being supply for Hulk inflating prices.

Can a similar argument be made for Action 1 vs Tec 27?

I am starting to wonder it seems like there is no end in sight for Hulk 1. Seems like almost every silver age collector either wants one or owns one (I guess same could be said for AF15).

I am wondering if the super low population of Hulk 1 in high grades will eventually make it the #1 silver age comic out there.

I prefer Hulk 1 over AF15 but will for sure buy a mid grade AF15 some time in the next 6 months.

In terms of importance, Hulk and Spider-Man will always be at the same level of Fantastic Four, but in collecting terms I could not say.

I would not surely be willing to spend such amounts of money on a Hulk #1 at the prices it’s going right now, but if it is scarcer than many others it is understandable the price went up.

Too many people want an AF #15 anyway, this tendency will probably not last forever.

It just seems unfair to compare the two -- Spider-man was an instant hit that grew into THE Marvel everything. The Hulk didn't last past 6 issues and was a dud out of the gate (also a big reason the book is harder to find in grade perhaps). I can understand why since the many layers that were Peter Parker was placed against a somewhat one-dimensional hero-monster in the Hulk.

On my part, I was speaking about the importance of the characters, not about the specific success of titles at given times (the X-Men were canceled, but after the new X-Men were launched the original stories were obviously revalued and appreciated).

I am starting to wonder it seems like there is no end in sight for Hulk 1. Seems like almost every silver age collector either wants one or owns one (I guess same could be said for AF15).

I am wondering if the super low population of Hulk 1 in high grades will eventually make it the #1 silver age comic out there.

I prefer Hulk 1 over AF15 but will for sure buy a mid grade AF15 some time in the next 6 months.

In terms of importance, Hulk and Spider-Man will always be at the same level of Fantastic Four, but in collecting terms I could not say.

I would not surely be willing to spend such amounts of money on a Hulk #1 at the prices it’s going right now, but if it is scarcer than many others it is understandable the price went up.

Too many people want an AF #15 anyway, this tendency will probably not last forever.

Not sure about that. People lovesssssss Spidey.

Sorry if me writing here is making you upset. I just had a few topics I wanted to talk about and decided to add them all at the same time.

By the way I have 212 posts in over a year you are now at over 4500 posts in about 2 years. I do not think I will ever catch up to you. At the rate I am going it will tame me 20 years to have 4500 posts and by that time you will be at 45 000 posts imagine that!!

While I think Incredible Hulk #1 may have more street cred among serious collectors due to its relative scarcity, I still don't think it has as much going for it as AF 15. More reasons for more people to be interested in the AF 15, at least in my opinion.

haven't read the whole thread but to me if hulk 1 is ever worth more than AF15, then hulk 1 valuations have absolutely jumped the shark (shrug)