• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK Import Charges

9 posts in this topic

Hi

Just paid at the beginning of the week import charges on a package of comics from the US - otherwise Parcelforce would not deliver and advised would be returned to sender.

My understanding is that comics as printed papers are zero rated for import duty and also VAT.

Has anyone any experience on best way to deal with a claim for refund from Border Force or is it more hassle than it would be worth. Customs Declaration on front of package clearly states that contents are comics

Comics were $200 and charge with handing £30.77. Was going to chalk up to bad luck but have received another letter in same terms demanding another £30 odd this morning.

Any tips/experiences appreciated.

Thanks

Mikey

Hi

Just paid at the beginning of the week import charges on a package of comics from the US - otherwise Parcelforce would not deliver and advised would be returned to sender.

My understanding is that comics as printed papers are zero rated for import duty and also VAT.

Has anyone any experience on best way to deal with a claim for refund from Border Force or is it more hassle than it would be worth. Customs Declaration on front of package clearly states that contents are comics

Comics were $200 and charge with handing £30.77. Was going to chalk up to bad luck but have received another letter in same terms demanding another £30 odd this morning.

Thanks

Mikey

I've reclaimed wrongly charged fees twice and there is a form that you need to download, fill in and send off. I can't remember what the form was called but there should be some contact details on the letter you have so you can ask them which form it is that you need. You will also need the postage labels from the original packaging to send off and they usually ask for verification from the sender that the parcel did indeed contain printed matter. They do take a while to get the payment to you but I have got it both times (minus the £8 handling fee which they rather cheekily keep).

I've reclaimed wrongly charged fees twice and there is a form that you need to download, fill in and send off. I can't remember what the form was called but there should be some contact details on the letter you have so you can ask them which form it is that you need. You will also need the postage labels from the original packaging to send off and they usually ask for verification from the sender that the parcel did indeed contain printed matter. They do take a while to get the payment to you but I have got it both times (minus the £8 handling fee which they rather cheekily keep).

Only twice ? I wish...

I wish ebay and their silly global shipping program would understand this. Is it just me or are more and more US sellers using it? It's a kick in the balls!

I think eBay basically forces their big sellers to use it (not directly forces, but makes it less appealing in their fee structure), and they set the listing page to default to it so if you arent careful when you are listing a book, you'll be stuck using the program for your auction

Hi

Thanks

Mikey

Hi Mikey,

You can reclaim the fees you paid using this form...

BOR286

Make sure you follow the "must include" instructions to ensure a successful claim. Claims usually take two months to process.

This should refund the total fee you paid minus the £8 Parcel Force handling charge (as mentioned above). Unfortunately HMRC will not refund this as PF process/pay for the import of your goods on your behalf and not on behalf of HMRC.

However HMRC do say if you've been incorrectly charged due to an error, contact PF and you should be able to claim separately. Never had any luck with getting the handling fee back though! Might be worth a try in your case as the customs label states "comics".

As a matter of interest, why have you been asked to pay again? Is it on the same shipment?

Hope this helps.

I wish ebay and their silly global shipping program would understand this. Is it just me or are more and more US sellers using it? It's a kick in the balls!

I think eBay basically forces their big sellers to use it (not directly forces, but makes it less appealing in their fee structure), and they set the listing page to default to it so if you arent careful when you are listing a book, you'll be stuck using the program for your auction

Don't completely write off the GSP... very occasionally it works in our favour. I have no idea how it calculates the shipping + import charges but sometimes you can buy comics with zero import charge and USPS international priority shipping for much less than the usual charge. Like this item here...

ASM #344 CGC 9.6

It's all very random though... I did get an email from eBay explaining how it works however I'm not convinced they understand it. Apparently the shipping charge is paid to the US seller to cover the cost of shipping it domestic to Pitney Bowes (the international handler). The cost of international shipping by PB (using USPS) is paid directly to them in the "import charges". However occasionally with comics this isn't factored into the import charges (maybe as they're printed matter) and that second shipping charge is essentially missing.

The good thing about the GSP is you don't have to pay import VAT on taxable items when they arrive, saving the hassle of going down to the PO to pay for the goods to be released. The main drawback for comics is you often pay more than you should and you can't combine shipping on items! Sometimes if you email the seller beforehand, they'll adjust the shipping on a BIN listing or agree to cancel and relist for auctions where the shipping can't be adjusted.