• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting conversation with eBay CSR today . . .

36 posts in this topic

I called about an issue with combined shipping, and had a conversation about the 10% commission they take for shipping. This may have been discussed here, but I thought some might find the rationale that the CSR gave for it interesting. I of course told him how wrong I thought it was for eBay to take 10% from something that is an out-of-pocket cost to the seller - and that sometimes the fees I collect aren't even adequate to cover shipping - and he explained how it is to combat the cheaters who, now get this, charge a penny for an item and ninety-nine dollars shipping to avoid paying a commission.

I pressed on and asked him, so they charge everyone the 10% commission to neutralize the possibility that someone might try to avoid paying the commission on the sale price. I told him that was the most ridiculous argument I ever heard for charging every single customer - including loyal long-time eBay sellers - and that it would seem pretty easy thing to police the scam he described, since every time I ever tried to jack a shipping fee up to cover, say insuring a high-dollar book, I got an alert that the shipping fees were too high - could this not be used to enforce the proper application of shipping fees to avoid the cheaters?

I added that it was a silly rationale for banging every one of their customers to avert the activities of a few cheaters. I also told him, though I realize he was just being polite by acting concerned or interested in what I was saying, that many members of the comic collecting community have abandoned or are in the process of abandoning eBay because of this and bad decisions they've made.

I doubt anybody (at eBay) will care - but I had to say it and know why they thought is was ok to charge this. I also told him that sales have been pathetic there and items that should sell for a lot more are being given away lately. :P

Just thought I'd share this for anyone who might wonder as I did about this.

Bob

Seems like a one sided conversation. lol

he had things to say, but nothing that made any sense to me.

He did admit that it was a little draconian, but not that it wasn't justifiable.

On the other hand, why not just raise the shipping cost? No one is making you sell there. Something's just aren't worth selling on the bay

I also recently noticed that they double-dip shipping charges too. I sold two raws to a buyer recently. I combined the shipping to the exact cost I had to ship one book. eBay charged me for both charges, even though I didn't even get paid on one of them.

Class action suit? I can't be the only one.

Maybe they should cut out the ship amount percent if someone prints shipping label thru ebay-that way they weed out the cheaters.

On the other hand, why not just raise the shipping cost? No one is making you sell there. Something's just aren't worth selling on the bay

Raise the shipping price, and you either get no sales or less bids (shrug)

I agree that it should always be a last resort to sell there.

I also recently noticed that they double-dip shipping charges too. I sold two raws to a buyer recently. I combined the shipping to the exact cost I had to ship one book. eBay charged me for both charges, even though I didn't even get paid on one of them.

I called because I sold a bunch of books to one seller, with the rule that I would combine shipping if they bought multiple books - and one seller bought a lot, making the un-discounted shipping charges like $70, but the actual charges were only $10 - which I sent an invoice for - but the "order details" showed the full-bore shipping charges ($70+).

The CSR assured me that this was an error :o and that I am only charged a commission on the amount that the buyer pays - what I invoiced them. But if they paid before I sent an invoice, they are shirt out of luck and I would have to either refund a portion of the shipping collected or refund the total and rein voice them - or this or that fogedaboutdit :facepalm:

Maybe they should cut out the ship amount percent if someone prints shipping label thru ebay-that way they weed out the cheaters.

(thumbs u My point is it's fixable.

He said the money they collect helps pay for the losses eBay suffers by cheaters! I was incredulous at that statement - you mean we, the loyal and honest sellers should pay the tab for that? Poor eBay is not making any money :mad:

I'm wasting time ranting but I had to get it off my chest rantrant

I called because I sold a bunch of books to one seller, with the rule that I would combine shipping if they bought multiple books - and one seller bought a lot, making the un-discounted shipping charges like $70, but the actual charges were only $10 - which I sent an invoice for - but the "order details" showed the full-bore shipping charges ($70+).

The CSR assured me that this was an error :o and that I am only charged a commission on the amount that the buyer pays - what I invoiced them. But if they paid before I sent an invoice, they are shirt out of luck and I would have to either refund a portion of the shipping collected or refund the total and rein voice them - or this or that fogedaboutdit :facepalm:

Mine didn't pay until after I invoiced him. I was dinged right off the bat for both. It was a fluke that I even caught it, but I looked up my recent charges because they seemed high. (The double billing wasn't even part of that.)

Well when you buy something from a store, some of that money goes to pay for theft losses and security

Mine didn't pay until after I invoiced him. I was dinged right off the bat for both. It was a fluke that I even caught it, but I looked up my recent charges because they seemed high. (The double billing wasn't even part of that.)

Their reports are so complicated, and they don't group anything together so you have to check to go through the entire list of fees they levy to see how many times they banged you for each item you sold through them - it's a nightmare.

And the fact that the Order Details right there in the item I sold was wrong - doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in their ability to keep track of what fees and commissions they should be charging me.

It used to be easy to create a bunch of listings, it's not so easy anymore, leaving me to wonder is it worth selling there. hm

Well when you buy something from a store, some of that money goes to pay for theft losses and security

I don't think this equates to a bump in fees prices to cover security - it seems more of a bold-faced scam to take money out of buyers pockets.

I very much disagree with that statement.

It's allowed. That's why it's called an opinion.

It's allowed. That's why it's called an opinion.

I was on my phone and hit the submit before I got to explain. I am sorry. I am at my computer now.

There is an audience here that is looking for specific things in specific categories. I sold some of those Valiant books over on the Valiant boards at a much better price than I was privately offered here for them. The Valiant boards are better for selling some of the Valiant books than the CGC boards. Just as that is true with certain things, it is true for eBay.

A while ago I wanted to sell a group of books that no longer fit my collecting focus. I offered them here for $650. I offered them here for $450. I heard crickets. I went to eBay and put them up there for $700 + shipping and they sold within a week. Even after fees, I did much better than I would have here. There was no audience for those books apparently.

Books do better here depending on the book and the demographic that lurks in each sub-forum. I do not believe that purple label books will ever do better in the GA/SA/Bronze area than they would at auction with CLink, eBay, Heritage or Metro due to the forum stigma attached.

I also do not believe that this is the place for big ticket items. Sure, we may see one offered here from time to time, but the biggest sales have come through auction houses like Heritage, eBay, Metro and CLink.

eBay offers a wide audience and reach that the boards do not have.

I will always offer my books on the boards here first perhaps due to loyalty, perhaps due to convenience. However, if they do not sell, then it is off to eBay.

We pay for the cheaters in everything. Just the way it is.

The voice of clarity

For those of us around a long time, eBay's explanation of charging their 10% on the total price including shipping has not changed. Believe it or not, there there were indeed sellers back in the day that would sell a $300 book for $25 and $275 shipping charge. Just so they would only pay $2.50 to eBay. From eBay's perspective, their solution made sense. They simply made a rule that got them all of their fair share of the money - and a little bit more.

eBay is always looking for a rule they can put into place rather than have humans use any discernment. What they should have done of course is make sellers not over charge on shipping. But instead of one rule (10% of everything, period) they'd have a thousand rules for all the different types of items and shipping choices - and have to hire people (people cost money, rules do not) to keep tabs and respond to customer complaints and inquiries.