• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenosha, WI (previously Gurnee) Show - Sunday 8/30 -- Added Short Report

11 posts in this topic

I will be set up here, trying to move some first appearances and $0.50 and $1 diggings.

I need to make room (and $) so discounts will be a-plenty.

Kenosha Comic Book And Collectibles Show

Radisson Hotel & Conference Center Kenosha

11800 108th St, Pleasant Prairie, WI, 53158

$2 ADMISSION

Hours: 10am-3pm

Special with flyer: bring a copy of the flyer with you and receive (though I don't know where one can get this flyer)

Facebook Page

Craigslist Ad with Pictures

Sorry about the duplicate post, I swear I went down the list at least on Page 1 and didn't see it. Although I don't know them personally, I hope the show does well, might be tough getting as much attendance as they are used to with the new location.

Sorry about the duplicate post, I swear I went down the list at least on Page 1 and didn't see it. Although I don't know them personally, I hope the show does well, might be tough getting as much attendance as they are used to with the new location.

No problem; put this up a week ago and it slipped down the list. Was going to bump it a couple times until the show.

I was at the show back in March (?) and had fun. There is some competition this time (with Lake Count-i-con), but hoping people will go there Saturday and hop over to Kenosha on Sunday.

Finished pricing and almost finished sorting yesterday.

No pics this time around, but I did pull:

Batman #251 (classic joker cover)

Daredevil #168

Marvel Spotlight #5

DC Comics Presents #26

Batman #359 (1st Croc/cover)

All need to be sold and will be at a good price.

I will have at least 5 short boxes of keys/semi-keys/1st appearances as those shown in the above pics, plus 6 or so short boxes of $0.50 comics (or less as the day goes on).

Quick Con Report

I had a great show in Kenosha -- along with at least one other dealer who couldn’t stop saying how profitable it was – considering there was a lot going against it.

I don’t set up at many shows (I think this was my third), but I was able to sell $100 of 50 cent books and $900 of “key” books. Considering there was another comic show going on the same weekend about 30 mins away, vendor turnout here was about 75%, and Wizard World was last weekend, the crowd was still ready to buy.

One particular buyer came in at the end knowing exactly what he wanted, quickly requesting and purchasing New Mutants #98 and (both?) Star Wars #1 from another dealer. He made his way over to my table, asking for the same issues; I didn’t have any, but I did have 3 Star Wars #42 and a beat #68; he glanced at them, asked for a small discount, and bought them all. He asked if I had other keys though he was standing in front of my wall when he said this. I'm not sure what to make of this (as I'm green when it comes to selling at shows), but it didn't appear he knew much about comics other than a couple big issues to ask about/buy. And considering he didn't quibble too much about price, or care that much about condition, I don't know where these comics will eventually end up.

I tried not to buy too much at this show, focusing on smaller stuff that I don’t yet have. Below are my purchases, minus the Venom Gold which a dealer was holding for me prior, and add in an Iron Man #54 I forgot to include. The bottom row of Warlocks I bought from someone peddling them around the floor; probably shouldn't have, but I was feeling good.

IMG_1057_zpsvenzwror.jpg

Another guy was shopping some larger comics -- Silver Surfer #1 and #4 and FF #50 -- around to the dealers. I saw them from afar, and they never made it over to me (I was set off to the side). I'm pretty sure it's a good thing b/c the eventual buyer when back to the first dealer and showed damage on the back of one and extra staples added to the other. I think the FF was unscathed but the dealer was wary and spoke of counting the pages later at home.

What did catch my ear at the show was the number of times I overheard “press it” from people walking around. Quickly pressing this, can you press that, will this press out. I’ve thought about pressing some of my own stuff but don’t have the time to invest in it. I believe (whether right or wrong) it’s something that takes time to master and is an easy way to ruin something if done incorrectly. Based on what I heard, these guys are treating it like a microwave and it makes me wary of raws floating around at shows.

Taking out a bulk sale of Spawn #1 (yeah, that Spawn), I averaged over $26 per comic sold.

Notable Sales:

X-Men #266

Batman #251

Secret Wars #8 x2

Teen Titans #44 x2

ASM #361

Marvel Super-Heroes #18

Shazam #28

Marvel Spotlight #5

Strange Adventures #180

Star Wars #42 x3

Lastly, some pictures. They are focused on my area as I tried to stay put, otherwise I would go out and buy. The other dealer I spoke with the most had a wall consisting of: New Mutants #98, Star Wars #1, Batman Adventures #12, Star Wars #68, Captain America #113, Shazam #28, Silver Surfer #4, etc. John Hauser was also setup there; his wall had some early Justice Leagues including a #1 – which was bought by dealer #1.

IMG_1051_zpsdktyuhaw.jpg

IMG_1053_zpstoq848gj.jpg

IMG_1054_zpssidto7yg.jpg

IMG_1056_zpsqbfw5y6f.jpg

are those diamond boxes part of your set up?

lol

Yep. Bought part of a collection and that's how they came. Went through them for anything interesting, then set them up for people to dig (and the people at this show did love to dig).

The ratty looking short boxes were also from that collection. Trying to downsize so buying more short boxes would just mean I'd find something to fill them with later.

Everything that was $0.50 will be making its way to Half Price books later this week. :thumbsup: