• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your Biggest eBay Auction Steal

28 posts in this topic

hey folks,

just wondering what books that you've seen (or sniped yourself!) on eBay in the last few months that went for WAY-UNDER market value. for example, i know over the christmas holidays, i saw an ASM 252 CGC 9.8 go for $102 (which admittedly is over OS) that was generally going for around 200 at the time - so i view that as a "good" deal.

last september/october or so - i saw an X-Men 3 CGC 7.0 go for a ridiculous $136. people definitely weren't watching that auction.

what are your steals? please brag! smile.gif

Not a great deal, but last week I was watching a Batman 200 CGC 8.0, which books in OS for $93. I figured it would go for a premium for being CGC graded, but it ended for $63. I wish I was paying more attention. I would have paid that.

I won a Sugar & Spike 84, supposedly VF/MN for $9.99. OS on it is around $40. The seller now won't return my emails and it looks like he won't sell me the book. I'm waiting 60 more days then he gets a negative from me.

the amounts people pay for 9.4 compared to what they WON'T PAY for 8.0 is absolutely astronomical. the batty 200 in 9.4 would've probably could've fetched close to a thousand. and yet, for a 1.4 deduction in grade, someone walked away with the 8.0 for $63...

I have had a few but remember a 9.2 Giant X-men 1 the best because of the email I received from the 2nd place bidder. I think I hit with 5 seconds left and won it for $730. The guy I beat sent me an email "thanking" me for beating him in the last seconds. I explained how to play the ebay game to him and told him of the numerous times I had been snaked - nothing personal but he had picked the wrong book and should have bid more etc. Recently got a Spidey 100 9.4 for $400, Spidey 122 9.4 for like $440, FF 100 9.4 $240, JiM 88 9.2 for $775. Have also overpaid my share though on books when i got into firefights with people.

Mine has to be the "And 1 Mix Tape Vol. 1-5" for $9.99. Best street-ballers in the world wreckin' shop on the legendary courts from Rucker's to Venice Beach! laugh.gif

Comic related, I was pretty happy w/ my Fury #2 (9.4) for $130. Yeah, it's too much, but I looked until it hurt for a sweet copy of this book. Finally broke down and bought this one (Thx to my boy, Double-D for the head's up on this one!)

Chris

Hey, I think you got an FF 100 CGC 9.4 for even cheaper at $150...I remember it because I bid on it for you back when you were having trouble with your account. smirk.gif

Best "steals" I've gotten on E-Bay are unslabbed books that I paid Overstreet NM or less for that I believe would grade at 9.4 or better if I slabbed them. Got an X-Men 58 for guide that's a 9.6/9.8; a Daredevil 37 for guide that's a 9.4/9.6; and a run of FF 121/122/123 for guide that I think would grade at 9.8, 9.4, and 9.6 respectively if submitted. Oh, I also won a certain CGC 9.6 Silver Age book that I won't mention specifically for fear that a few forum members will lynch me for rubbing in their faces yet again. shocked.giftongue.gif

I've been following the Batman 200 pretty closely. A 9.4 W will get you a bid of $450 by me. Anything that isn't white, in particular cream, goes about $50-$100 lower, sometimes more. Because of the vibrant white cover, the cream copies just look dirty. The PGC mint has a C-OW 9.4 for $450. I think he'll have that one for a while . . . Also, I believe that comiclink has one of 2(?? been a while since I checked the census) 9.6s for $725.

Also regarding the 200 in 8.0, $63 is definitely a good price, but this anniversary issue is by no means rare. It was one of the first Batman books that I got (although it was a reader) and is common amongst mail order dealers and at cons. Nice copies are of course more rare, and $63 is definitely a good price.

DAM

"the amounts people pay for 9.4 compared to what they WON'T PAY for 8.0 is absolutely astronomical. the batty 200 in 9.4 would've probably could've fetched close to a thousand. and yet, for a 1.4 deduction in grade, someone walked away with the 8.0 for $63..."

Funny you mention that. That same week, a Batman 200 CGC 9.4 ended at $281, reserve not met. Here are the auctions:

Batman 200 CGC 9.4

Batman 200 CGC 8.0

Even a CGC 9.0 got over double that of the 8.0. That's why 8.0 is the sweet spot for me (unless it's a comon book that I can afford better).

Batman 200 CGC 9.0

I also won a certain CGC 9.6 Silver Age book that I won't mention specifically for fear that a few forum members will lynch me for rubbing in their faces yet again.

Hey! We don't even like the Black Panther, so you can keep your crummy FF #52! mad.gifmad.gifwink.gif

Chris

Rob,

I saw both of those auctions on the #200 Bats. I almost bid on the 8.0, but reality set in because there are other books I would rather have for that price.

Just yesterday I picked up X-Men 100 for $22 from a forum member here on Ebay. It is raw and he said it is in VF or VF- condition. I was happy.

-Jeremy-

My first item of mention would be the Daredevil 131 that I bought for $20.00 that came back CGC 9.4.... grin.gif It was not a keeper so I don't consider that my best deal...

I consider my best deals the ones that I purchase specifically for my collection....that being said I would have to say the Hulk 141 CGC 9.0 in which I used BIN for $100.00 was my best deal...

Second to that would be my CGC F/VN Green Lantern 76 that I also used BIN for $100.00... grin.gif

Oh yeah...almost forgot the raw Monster #2 in Fine condition that I won for about $30.00 was a pretty good deal... wink.gif

I would say my best deal on ebay would have to be the copy of X-Men #11 in VF/NM from the Curator Pedigree I bought the day before Christmas. Not alot of people bidding then for obvious reasons so I was happy with what I paid. grin.gif

Ericc123

ok - batman 200 was probably a bad example. however, i believe my point about 9.4s vs 8.0s still largely apply (and AS IF i'm the FIRST person to notice).

if we talk about XMen 12 for example (1st Juggernaut, Origin Prof X - which i'll be selling in a matter of time) - i've seen the 9.4 go twice in the last few months - once for over 2000, and the other time, for over 2500. i my wildest dreams, i'd get 20% of that for the 8.0 i'm going to sell.

even IF we go back to the batty 200, then i'll still assert my point. $63 gets you 8.0. and you yourself say that you'd bid $450 for the extra 1.4 in grade. that's still a SEVEN-times multiple from the 8.0...

Picked up a raw Journey Into Mystery 85 for less than $125.00. The comic which

had a terrific spine, was jammed at one time into a box and if you looked at it from the bottom edge, had a definite "U" shape to it. (kinda looked like a "Good+" copy. So, a lot of bidders were not too interested. Looking at the scan, I felt I could iron out this thing after I got it as I didn't notice any permanent creases. As soon as I got the comic, I neatly ironed it flat and turned it into a solid VF. Guides at $478.00. Got lucky.

Another one I got lucky with was a Journey Into Mystery 84. Comic was described as having "wrinkles" on the cover and somewhere in the description the seller used the word "water".I am sure because she used the term "water" in her description a lot of bidders felt the cover was water-damaged. To me, her description sounded more like humidity and I emailed her to make sure. Nothing in her response told me there was actual water-damage. Comic guides at $504.00 in Fine/Very Fine and I got it for $175.00. Although, I'll still have to get it pressed to turn it into that grade as it still has the wrinkle on it. Or is "cleaned and pressed the way to go"? Heard that somewhere, but can't remember....?

Happy thoughts. grin.gif

Nice post Spades.

Let's see.......

I was seconds away from pulling the trigger on a FF #52 CGC 9.6 that had a BIN of $750, which is significantly LESS than what a 9.4 could command. I lost that to Mr. James Rudd who was good enough to not mention it earlier. I'm only comforted by the fact that many others felt the pain of that one. smile.gif

I also missed the ASM #50 cgc 9.4 for $1800(?) that same day from the same seller by seconds. Mark Wilson bagged that one.

Then, a few days later(?) I missed pulling the trigger by seconds AGAIN on a ASM #39 CGC 9.4 also priced at $750, which is about half of what it should go for. Notch Top bagged that one. mad.gif

Not too many deals, but I can think of books that I paid TOO MUCH for when I first started buying CGC, like an ASM #20 CGC 9.2 for $1000 and an ASM #40 CGC 9.4 which I paid $2500 for. crazy.gif

I need a drink........