• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who's the artist..?

31 posts in this topic

Find me one example

Go to any of the obvious auction houses and search for "trading card original art".

Well I found this-but its a silver age card by a noted silver age artist-and it only sold for just over $200 so I stand by my statement

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Silver-Age-Sketch-card-sketchagraph-Quicksilver-Severin-Original-Art-/201387643791?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ee3a3938f&nma=true&si=MSYgf8atsRcvkVhWVrSZAM0%252B%252BE8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

You cite a pencil only sketch card produced in the last few years as your comparison? :roflmao:

You don't have to have an opinion on everything.

I tried. This is aggravating. Back to hiding your comments.

I went to Heritage-nothing

I found almost 300 items.

Silver age was just a few years ago?

Just post a link of a heritage sketch card then that sold

I see Jim Lee cards that sold for big bucks but no basically unknown artist as in the GI Joe Mama case

I stand by my statement that OA trading card by basically unknowns dont sell for much

FWIW a sketch card is WAY different than the actual original art for a card set. Sketch cards are just that- card sized sketches. They're not art used in the production of anything. You wouldn't do original art for cards, card-sized. Look a the art in the auction listing, it's basically 3up art.

I have some artist friends who have done a ton of those sketch cards (they're affordable for collectors.)

If someone big did one of those sheets then $1700 could easily be a bargain for the whole set (search Heritage again> "trading card" in auction archives and limit the results to original comic art) There are examples of card art from that era (jim lee, tmc, etc.) for $1000s.

Looking at the set on the web, i don't know that there's anyone like that hiding out there, but I didn't go through the whole set.

I think it depends on the artist-if the artist is well known it sells for a lot. if its an unknown or low level artist, i've seen that there's not much interest. in this case its a low level artist and i value the pages at 80-100

FWIW a sketch card is WAY different than the actual original art for a card set. Sketch cards are just that- card sized sketches. They're not art used in the production of anything. You wouldn't do original art for cards, card-sized. Look a the art in the auction listing, it's basically 3up art.

I have some artist friends who have done a ton of those sketch cards (they're affordable for collectors.)

If someone big did one of those sheets then $1700 could easily be a bargain for the whole set (search Heritage again> "trading card" in auction archives and limit the results to original comic art) There are examples of card art from that era (jim lee, tmc, etc.) for $1000s.

Looking at the set on the web, i don't know that there's anyone like that hiding out there, but I didn't go through the whole set.

This auction accounted for approximately 1/3 of the original card set. I'm not surprised we haven't seen many more examples come to market. The person who sold these had no idea what he had or how to sell them. How does he end up with such a large chunk of the set? It makes you wonder where the rest of the OA went...

The winning bidder of this lot could piece these out and easily get $150-$300+ a page. The low end being the vehicles pages and considerably more for the Snake Eyes/Scarlett/General Hawk page.

The Snake Eyes/General Hawk page is pretty amazing actually. It features the classic Snake Eyes, Scarlett and General Hawk who was the face of the advertising for this product. I could see that one covering half of the auction price.

This set is fondly remembered by Joe collectors.

This auction accounted for approximately 1/3 of the original card set...

I would think more... Isnt at least a third of the 200 card set reprints of covers?