• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Owning CGC grade comic vs original art...

86 posts in this topic

Hi Rhino,

You make a good point. Because of the fact that there are so many copies of an individual comic book, and so many different condition grades, you can pretty much always find an issue you're looking for within your budget (if you're not picky regarding condition). Not so with original art, unfortunately. That being said, I'm sure you can save up enough over time and find a nice example that'll do it for you. Or you could sell a couple books, and turn the profit into one stellar piece of original art. And then go back to buying books smile.gif

Good luck!

Yep, that's exactly what I do now. Flippity flip flip!! I have been able to acquire a small but IMHO very nice collection of original art.

I am, of course, in awe of your collection Hari. hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Your collection is quite nice already, Rhino. I just had brunch with dam60 and delekkerste, and we mentioned the nice pages that you've been posting.

It's a fun hobby, and since they ARE one-of-a-kind, I believe it's important to post them and share them with everyone.

Thanks Hari, I appreciate the compliments. And I just posted a link to my online art gallery in my signature. You're right, sharing is a lot of the fun.

I've been lucky to find certain pages at the right time, and I agree with what Destro says about being flexible and creative. I'm still waiting to hear definitely on that Ditko Dr. Strange page. But of course, the dilemma with doing an art trade is actually letting something close to your heart go! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Rhino, and Hari

There is a school of thought that sharing 'dilutes' the value of the image. In that, the item loses its desirability as a consequence of the fact that anyone can now view, what u have paid a premium for (granted,..u still OWN the original). Just my 2 cents,..but I think this argument has something 2 it.

Steve

Thanks for the link and congrats on your very nice coll.

i'm already happy on owning a few of the comics from where your pages are from...now owning some of those pages must be a joy to behold!!!

i think it's always great to share what we gather (imho it's one of the purposes of collecting; sharing), it won't deminish at all our efforths/joy on owning a piece that others can view.

regards

Rhino, and Hari

There is a school of thought that sharing 'dilutes' the value of the image. In that, the item loses its desirability as a consequence of the fact that anyone can now view, what u have paid a premium for (granted,..u still OWN the original). Just my 2 cents,..but I think this argument has something 2 it.

Destro,

It's a psychological argument, with some merit. Something "new" on the market always commands a higher price than something that is "known" to exist, even if it has never been for sale. So, hiding your collection and then bringing it out when the time is right can sometimes increase your return.

But, I prefer not to care about such things. One-of-a-kind items should be shared. Period. I've always gotten top-dollar whenever I've sold something, and I've always shared my collection on the internet for all to see.

Best,

Rhino, and Hari

No doubt, there are some who will subscribe to that school of thought. I prefer to share. And I'm glad that art museums, galleries, and many collectors around the world also share.

Rhino, and Hari

Destro, You [#@$%!!!]. Show us your stuff !!!

I disagree 100% this is 180 degrees wrong. Well-known art is more valuable than an obscure piece. If sharing "dilutes" the value of an image, then unpublished pieces would be more valuable than published pieces and pieces from comics that hardly anyone has ever seen would be more valuable than one from a popular comic. Nothing becomes a grail sitting in some collector's portfolio never shared.

No question about it. I would rather own OA any day of the week, as contrasted with CGC comic books.

I have to say that I don't hold much appeal for pencil or ink prelims (what you guys call OA), in many cases these things are not very reflective of the end product (it would be like people choosing black and white television over colour).

No question about it. I would rather own OA any day of the week, as contrasted with CGC comic books.

I have to say that I don't hold much appeal for pencil or ink prelims (what you guys call OA), in many cases these things are not very reflective of the end product (it would be like people choosing black and white television over colour).

Some people like chocolate. Some people like Vanilla. Its what makes the world an intersting place, I guess.

Some people like chocolate. Some people like Vanilla. Its what makes the world an intersting place, I guess.

Thanks for the validation of my post.............. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the validation of my post.............. thumbsup2.gif

Hi,

People's tastes differ. I collected the comic books for many years before turning to original art. I like owning the art because it has more intrinsic meaning. In most cases, the penciler, inker, and letterer each worked on it; and that physical touch really means a lot to me. Owning a piece of the talent that went into a comic. And, I guess I'm not alone in that sentiment.

I wouldn't call them prelims, though. I know you were being funny, but you've got to admit it's a little rude. If you ask the individual artists, they'd say it's a finished product! smile.gif

I saw in your profile that you collect production art. What does that mean? Animation art? I ask because it sounds an awful lot like OA wink.gif

I wouldn't call them prelims, though. I know you were being funny, but you've got to admit it's a little rude. If you ask the individual artists, they'd say it's a finished product! smile.gif

I saw in your profile that you collect production art. What does that mean? Animation art? I ask because it sounds an awful lot like OA wink.gif

Aaaaah grasshopper....therein lies the rub and therfore my reaction. All I can say to you is that you will never be accepted by your OA bum buddies if you consider anything beyond the penciller (unless some famous penciller used his enormous talents to ink over some lesser beings pencils and then the inks would be far more important) as truly worthy of the status of OA and therefore worth squillions of dollars......

and as for your speaking on behalf of all the individual artists in history then I am afraid that you are wrong. quite a number of important ones would suggest that without the colour the art is not finished.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and thus endeth todays lesson.

although I suggest a greater level of snobiness and arrogance is required in your posts if you are not to be perceived by the denizens of the OA boards as nothing more than a comic book buying shill............ gossip.gif

Aaaaah grasshopper....therein lies the rub and therfore my reaction. All I can say to you is that you will never be accepted by your OA bum buddies if you consider anything beyond the penciller (unless some famous penciller used his enormous talents to ink over some lesser beings pencils and then the inks would be far more important) as truly worthy of the status of OA and therefore worth squillions of dollars......

and as for your speaking on behalf of all the individual artists in history then I am afraid that you are wrong. quite a number of important ones would suggest that without the colour the art is not finished.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

and thus endeth todays lesson.

although I suggest a greater level of snobiness and arrogance is required in your posts if you are not to be perceived by the denizens of the OA boards as nothing more than a comic book buying shill............ gossip.gif

I've got no idea what you're saying here confused-smiley-013.gif Can anyone translate this?

I saw in your profile that you collect production art. What does that mean?

He collects comic color guides.

and production proofs

and progressive proofs

and acetates

and test covers

and anything else to do with the production process...... thumbsup2.gif

I saw in your profile that you collect production art. What does that mean?

He collects comic color guides.

and production proofs

and progressive proofs

and acetates

and test covers

and anything else to do with the production process...... thumbsup2.gif

Interesting. Can you give me an example of a test cover, production proof or progressive proof? Not sure I've seen these.

basic steps.......

pencils are undertaken

inker inks pencils

art is checked and signed off or re-done and signed off

reduce line art (ink/pencils) to a4 size,

sent to artist for colouring (one only)

sent to printer for replication

printer sends a production proof for checking (either a single page or a progressive proof containing the four printing colour proofs and a one combined).

proof is checked and signed off or amended and re-run and then signed off

printer produces a final number of test covers (these are exact covers with inside ads etc) for final checking.

comic book is produced.

I can give examples of all this when I get some time.

In general the OA devotees only recognise step one and two as being important.....however, if you have ever seen a hand coloured piece like

Tomahawk #135 where a key element of the cover is not present on the prelims then it would be hard to argue against the relevance of the piece in the final comic book.......

As OA people trivialise anything after the inks I have set myself the task of opposing this wave of ignorance..........and I have a big advantage in that I already know that my [embarrassing lack of self control] stinks........ wink.gif

I agree with you 100%. I have never understood the idea that the original art ends at the inking stage. There's no question in my mind that colors are a significant part of the original art.

And to take that idea further, what if the creator of the line art is also the colorist? Do the naysayers still claim that the color guides are worthless?