• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I press and regrade an old maroon label slab?

19 posts in this topic

Recently bought an ASM 300 in 9.0 that I was thinking of pressing and getting regraded.

Pros

1. why not see if I can get a grade jump, even though I'm not trying to sell this book. I'd be sending it in with other books, so its not like the cost is that high

2. I much prefer the new label to old label

3. It's been in this slab since 2000

Cons

1. Grade stays the same (I'm probably only looking at a slight bump anyway, 9.4 if I'm lucky (or if they are loose that day).

2. Modern labels are getting harder to come across

Questions

Are the old maroon modern labels really that desirable? Or rather, is it worth more than the possible bump to a 9.2 in grade for this book?

What would you do: press and regrade for chance at a bump or leave it in the old slab with the old label?

You've got a nice presentable book which in all likelihood has never been tampered with. I'd be more than happy with it as it is.

You've got a nice presentable book which in all likelihood has never been tampered with. I'd be more than happy with it as it is.

+1

Thanks all!

I guess I should have also said that I have no issue with the book itself and am not wholly opposed to leaving it in its slab. Just, that maroon label looks so strange.

And yes, it coming back a lower grade would hurt, though based on what I can see of the book that would be unlikely.

Recently bought an ASM 300 in 9.0 that I was thinking of pressing and getting regraded.

Cons

1. Grade stays the same (I'm probably only looking at a slight bump anyway, 9.4 if I'm lucky (or if they are loose that day).

Do you really want a loose 9.4? :baiting:

I'd press it while in the slab. Get the temp up high enough and it'll remain pristine FOREVER!

Funny post by Jeffro !

If you are not selling it I would definitely leave it alone. It does not preclude you from a CPR in the future. I love the old red labels. To me, it is worth a small premium. Another con: every time the book is handled in the whole CPR process there is a risk of damage.

As an early generation slab, it may command a premium at some point. Some of the early coin slabs command significant multiples of FMV..... even when the coin inside is rather pedestrian. I'd leave it alone. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

As an early generation slab, it may command a premium at some point. Some of the early coin slabs command significant multiples of FMV..... even when the coin inside is rather pedestrian. I'd leave it alone. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree. I'm fond of the red label books, and would pay a little more to have them.

"Press it, slab it, sell it to the butcher in the store...

Reba put a stopper in the bottom..."

ah .... wait... that's not how it goes.

Press it.

CGC is grading very tight right now. After many, many years of NEVER having a book go down in grade, I have had a handful (modern and bronze) do so in the last month.

9.6 to 9.4, 9.0 to 7.5, and 9.0 to 8.5. And all of these books were pressed, too.

meh

Not once have I ever had anything go down, until now.

CGC is grading very tight right now. After many, many years of NEVER having a book go down in grade, I have had a handful (modern and bronze) do so in the last month.

9.6 to 9.4, 9.0 to 7.5, and 9.0 to 8.5. And all of these books were pressed, too.

meh

Ouch. I had heard that in the first year they were stricter, so thinking it may get a good bump. It looks better than a 9.0 in the holder, but those things like to hide those corner bends sometimes. I'll leave it for now, until it starts nagging at me more that it is both a different color label, and the lowest grade modern I have.

meh

Very mixed on agreeing or disagreeing with this...

I do not want to go into specifics since I may use some of these for a grading contest. Let's just say I had mixed results. One book that I will not be using since it was returned to the auction house went from a 3.0 advertised raw... (and I could see why it was a 3.0) to a graded 5.0.