• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A frame to display your CGC book.

6 posts in this topic

I posted this in The Marketplace Forum previously, thought I'd post it here to see what you all think.

Okay. First off, I am just providing this as a "Public Service Announcement" as I have no affiliation with the company which produces these frames. I just thought someone may find this of interest. If this should be in The Marketplace Forum, I will move it there.

The frames are designed for display of CGC books. All backing's are archival grade. You can choose Glass or Plexiglass, UV Protected and UV Protected, Non-Glare. The frame shown costs $130.00 (tax is included).

Here's what it looks like:

front.jpg

Here's the back:

back.jpg

The Frame and CGC book seperate:

seperate.jpg

Here's how it works: Step 1, 2 & 3...

insert1.jpg

insert2.jpg

insert3.jpg

Here's a scan with a Golden Age book.

slavegirl.jpg

If there's any interest I'll provide an email address for more information.

popcorn.gif

i remember pondering the design of this about 2 years ago and trying to figure out if i could patent it. oh well, so much for bright ideas but poor execution.

$130 is nuts for this though. the cheaper one is practical, but looks a bit shoddy.

I purchased some really nice frames from comicframes.com. He has a ton of frames to choose from and was very good to deal with. The only problem I had was the size of his silver sized mylar for the raw book frame I purchased was a bit too small. That Avengers #4 in his gallery has a slight rip in the spine from when i was putting the book in the mylar. That was a ways back so he might have fixed the issue.

The CGC frames are great and it's easy to switch books out.

I think it was about $60-$70 per frame.

linky

That site has some nice frames. Much better than the other two frames. It looks like they're about $75 - $80 with UV Protection on the glaze.

Here's a question though... will the UV protection make it safe to hang or do we still have a problem with fading?

I believe that the UV glass filters out around 97% of damaging rays so unfortunately the protection is not total and you still need to be careful.

Here are the precautions I take:

- No sunlight allowed in the room.

- Regular light bulbs - Fluorescent and hallogen light are bad.

- Keep the books in a room that doesn't have the lights turned on 14 hours a day. I keep mine in my office so the lights are only on a couple of hours a day at most.

- Switch out the books every few months

Doing this, I have never been able to detect any fading. The only book I haven't switched out is that Avengers #4 I mentioned because I don't want to damage another book fitting it into the small mylar. I wish I had scanned it before framing so I could re-scan to see if there was fading. It doesn't look like it has faded a bit.

Pete