• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

why did my Greg Land Edge of Spiderverse #2 variant get a 9.4 yet it looks bette

24 posts in this topic

I don't know why my one EOSV #2 came back 9.4 but to me looks better than the 9.8.

Pics below show the difference and what not.

Looks like you have more then one 9.4 there ;) ...maybe an interior page is damaged? Off those pics alone I see spine tics and slightly bent corners.. book could probably benefit from a press.. but even after that not sure it would hit a 9.6 with those ticks. How's the back cover?

CGC grading can be a bit wonky sometimes. In my recent batch I had a book that I thought was a 9.4, it had a couple of ncb bends on the cover (one small bend on the top front corner, and another along the top back edge), it was graded a 9.0. I guess I should have gotten a press first. Another book that I thought would be a 9.4 (had two light spine ticks and a faint pencil indent on the back cover), came back a 9.6.

okay thanks for the pointers guys.....I agree its a 9.4 but the other one I bought off ebay is graded 9.8 and I saw some flaws that I thought would make it a 9.6 if that.

Of course bud.

Btw . Where is the 9.8 you are comparing it to? Is it also graded by CGC? I've sen some 9.8s with 1 spine tic. Very rare and doesn't happen often. If you are talking 2 or more , forget that book hitting a 9.8. Also, there could be issues to the interior.

When it comes to moderns I just buy the book slabbed as 9.8 unless the book is scarce and I'm desperate for any copy.

okay thanks for the pointers guys.....I agree its a 9.4 but the other one I bought off ebay is graded 9.8 and I saw some flaws that I thought would make it a 9.6 if that.

Of course bud.

Btw . Where is the 9.8 you are comparing it to? Is it also graded by CGC? I've sen some 9.8s with 1 spine tic. Very rare and doesn't happen often. If you are talking 2 or more , forget that book hitting a 9.8. Also, there could be issues to the interior.

When it comes to moderns I just buy the book slabbed as 9.8 unless the book is scarce and I'm desperate for any copy.

I added the few pics of the 9.8. I traded it for the amazing fantasy 15 but plan to get a new 9.8 soon

I should of gotten better pics of the 9.8 but to me it had more color loss along the spine and a slight dent in the spine. The top left corner also was dinged and the one bottom corner. The guy I traded with almost took the 9.4 over it as he even agreed the cover was nicer and he was going to have it slabbed by another company. In the end he took the 9.8.

Thanks for the info guys. I am trying to improve upon my grading skills and be more knowledgeable

The color loss along the spine is common on these. I'm under the impression they were all graded as it being production related. I agree the bag does not help it look better but I wouldn't let the color loss on the spine have you chasing more copies, every copy I held had the same issue.

The 9.4 definitely doesn't look as nice as the 9.8 IMO. Were they pressed by a novice shortly before submitting them? If I'm not mistaken that may allow for defects to pop back after slabbed. Someone else with extensive pressing experience may want to chime in on that theory though. If they were not I'd be happy that one book got a 9.4

Grading is so subjective, it's almost becoming like a "price guide" where it's guidance and not rules or law.

Also, be wary of just chasing a number, in that "it is what it is" mantra about a book.

You can go the "Spinal Tap" way and take your game up a notch beyond a 10 to an 11... and choose a grading company with loose standards and reputation. It happened in the trading card market where there were so many card companies awarding grades of 10, Gem Mint, Pristine, etc and even bypassing restoration and authenticity standards to the point where there's really only about 3 grading companies (PSA, BGS, and SCG) with a somewhat solid reputation for consistency and reliability.

I think comic grading is even more subjective in their approach than with trading cards, in part due to so many factors being evaluated. With trading cards it's just the surface, the edges, the corners and the centering.

Also, from what I hear, with comic books, there's a different standard to how let's say a "7" grade is earned by a modern book vs a silver age book vs a golden age book, where certain "flaws" are accepted for older books but not for newer aged books, which is in a way odd it's not a standardized "with no exceptions" system.

What you might want to do is hold the book under a direct light and check the back and front covers for indentations of any kind away from the edges and corners. Those kind of flaws tend to get missed because they aren't near the spine or edges.

I recently saw a graded 9.4 of Bloodshot Reborn #1 that looked flawless in the case. Near prefect spine, corners, etc but the back cover, upon closer inspection, had numerous tiny non color breaking punctures (but not through the paper stock). Like someone was tapping the book with a ball point pen but leaving no ink marks. Significant 'damage' but easily missed to the untrained eye.

The color loss along the spine is common on these. I'm under the impression they were all graded as it being production related. I agree the bag does not help it look better but I wouldn't let the color loss on the spine have you chasing more copies, every copy I held had the same issue.

The 9.4 definitely doesn't look as nice as the 9.8 IMO. Were they pressed by a novice shortly before submitting them? If I'm not mistaken that may allow for defects to pop back after slabbed. Someone else with extensive pressing experience may want to chime in on that theory though. If they were not I'd be happy that one book got a 9.4

Having most of the pictures for the 9.8 be through an outer plastic bag really helped. lol
Agreed, the bag obscures the view of the 9.8, however, even through the bag the 9.8 looks better. On the 9.4, the top right corner is bad (soft and a small tick), it has a large spine tick and the the bottom right corner has a NCB curl. The 9.8 has the color loss on the spine but no other color breaking defects that I can see, the color loss in the spine is a production related defect common in modern Marvel books and like it or not, CGC is softer on this type of defect.

I bet if you pressed the 9.4 to get rid of the bottom corner dent and smooth out the spine ticks it would be a 9.6. However, the color breaking spine ticks will keep it under a 9.8.

The 9.8, to me, looks like a 9.8. No spine ticks and no corner dings like your 9.4 shows.

The color breaks running the length of the spine are normal and are not really avoidable. That's why there are so few 9.9's across the board in all books.