• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Super Mario Bros #1 Printing defect?

7 posts in this topic

I just got 20 uncirculated copies of Super Mario Bros. #1. Every one of them has a light vertical indent about 1/4 inch from the right edge of the comic. The line goes from the top to the bottom. Is this a common printing defect for this book? Has anybody seen a copy with it? or without it?

DSCF1570_zpswtktxypp.jpg

The indent doesn't show up in the photo, but I wanted to be clear on the exact comic book in question.

Thanks

I have five copies and just one has that crease you talked about. I assumed it came being in a heavy stack comics from a backingboard from a comic sitting on top. All my copies are from mostly different sources

Right edge or left edge/spine?

Normally the problem with unread copies of this book and the Gameboy 1 is that the cover stock was so thick and the book has so many pages that the spine fold is not clean, and you end up with sort of extra subtle folds at the spine.

That being said, I have had hundreds of this book pass through my hands and I am also aware of a thin, sharp vertical indent along the open edge of the book. It is common enough that I believe it was either in the stock before printing or caused on the printing press somehow. Sometimes it does not appear all the way from the top to the bottom, but just a segment or two. It also appears on the #2 issue and the Special edition.

It's not every copy, but it is a lot of them. Remember, the print runs on these books are monstrous - far more than you would expect based on how often they show up today.

It is a tough book in 9.8, there is no doubt.

I would expect 9.4ish, but have never sent one with that defect in that I can remember. They would not get past my screen. I would call them "NM" with a description of the line that can only be seen at the right angle.

If the Grader(s) think(s) it is not production but handling related, it could go lower.

It is definitely a shame to find unread copies that were stored properly with that problem. Most of the time unread copies have storage and handling damage, browning paper, or worse.