• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Two questions regarding Marvel Value Stamps

10 posts in this topic

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a thread for this already, but I tried searching and couldn't find one. Just curious on a couple of things with the Value Stamps.

1. Is there any value now to loose MVS's that have already been clipped? Or more to the point, is anyone out there tracking them down and collecting them? I am by no means advocating cutting books that have lasted this long already.

2. How would CGC grade a book with an MVS reattached somehow? I could see it getting either a restored or qualified label. I can't imagine any buyer would treat it differently than one with a missing label.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a thread for this already, but I tried searching and couldn't find one. Just curious on a couple of things with the Value Stamps.

1. Is there any value now to loose MVS's that have already been clipped? Or more to the point, is anyone out there tracking them down and collecting them? I am by no means advocating cutting books that have lasted this long already.

2. How would CGC grade a book with an MVS reattached somehow? I could see it getting either a restored or qualified label. I can't imagine any buyer would treat it differently than one with a missing label.

i sold my completed MVS 1 and 2 books for $100's each. The completed #2 is especially hard to find.

I'm actively cutting books to complete the set. Have cut 10 books in the last week and combining with stamps I cut as a kid to complete the 100 :sumo:

Only cutting very low grade low value .25c value copies.

Thanks all. I've thought about putting a set together because why not, then realized I hadn't exactly seen them for sale loose ever.

Then I thought about what would happen if you splice one into a book thats missing it. I've got a decent grade Astonishing 25 without the coupon, maybe I'll put one in and see what happens. I may end up putting more into leafcasting and grading then that book will ever be worth though....

I had considered figuring which stamp goes to which book but gave up when I realized in some cases I didn't have the book anymore-- just the stamp. In the end, I didn't see a whole lot of point to the exercise.

And "fixing" a book via restoring a stamp back into it seems like a lot of work for not much of a benefit. Probably the only one that would even be worth attempting would be a Hulk 181. Astonishing Tales 25 isn't exactly rare and buying a nice intact copy seems a better use of time to me. Bear in mind, I have my original copy of AT 25 which is in terrible shape (missing cover, MVS torn out) BUT it is fine for a reading copy.

I had considered figuring which stamp goes to which book but gave up when I realized in some cases I didn't have the book anymore-- just the stamp. In the end, I didn't see a whole lot of point to the exercise.

And "fixing" a book via restoring a stamp back into it seems like a lot of work for not much of a benefit. Probably the only one that would even be worth attempting would be a Hulk 181. Astonishing Tales 25 isn't exactly rare and buying a nice intact copy seems a better use of time to me. Bear in mind, I have my original copy of AT 25 which is in terrible shape (missing cover, MVS torn out) BUT it is fine for a reading copy.

Oh, I didn't ask the question because I thought it could be lucrative. I was just curious what the label would come back as. I half expect them to roll out a "Why?" series of labels if they ever see leafcasting on an interior page to replace one of these.