• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Asian box is now checked off at the House Of Ideas...

108 posts in this topic

Bye Bye Bruce, There's A New Jade Giant In Town

Marvel is getting ready to hit the reset button with their All-New All Different initiative which is going to add a bit more diversity to the classic hero lineup. The incredible Hulk is among those established heroes set to receive a bit of a facelift....

desktop-1441834260.jpg

Okay, what microdemographic is next on the checklist, and more importantly, what long-established white male characters are there still left that need a "facelift"?

hm

I sure don't love the scent of some of the 'diversity for diversity's sake' coming out of Marvel, but some great storytelling could make me forget about it pretty quickly.

On a related note, Psylocke somehow becoming Asian was poor storytelling at its finest. :blush:

I sure don't love the scent of some of the 'diversity for diversity's sake' coming out of Marvel, but some great storytelling could make me forget about it pretty quickly.
Wait, I thought that was DC, you know, making Alan Scott gay and no longer having the West family be Ginger out of the blue for some reason? At least Marvel isn't changing the ethnicities of their main cheracters secret identities. I'm all for an asian hulk as long as it's a new cheracter and not them changing Bruce Banner to asain all of a sudden like DC did making iris and Wally black to fill some racial checklist.

Amadeus Cho has been a very interesting character for a while, and he makes sense as the Hulk especially given the Doc Green arc.

I'd like to see this as more than some suggested "diversity check," and even if it is as an Asian American, do you know how cool it is for me to get to see a non-kung fu fighting super-hero. You know how rad that is for my little cousins, and siblings?

I love continuity as much as the next fan, but tread lightly when using the "diversity for diversity" argument, for a lot of us under represented fans, those comments can sting a bit.

I hear what you're saying. Creating new characters that appeal to more fans is awesome. But if you see what is written about these new characters (like in the link), they really are just coming out and saying "diversity for diversity sake" which really doesn't need to be marketed that way, IMO.

I love continuity as much as the next fan, but tread lightly when using the "diversity for diversity" argument, for a lot of us under represented fans, those comments can sting a bit.

I don't think it's an argument more so than a corporate path that Marvel has embarked upon. I'd prefer to see some new characters and new blood, but, as in the case of Ms Marvel, if the stories are good, that becomes a very minor issue.

I hear what you're saying. Creating new characters that appeal to more fans is awesome. But if you see what is written about these new characters (like in the link), they really are just coming out and saying "diversity for diversity sake" which really doesn't need to be marketed that way, IMO.

I agree 100% with you, I don't like it being marketed that way. However, at the end of the day, sometimes we have to take our druthers even if they are less than ideal. Growing up I never thought I'd see an Asian main team avenger. My father actually got a bit misty hearing that a Korean American would be Hulk.

I totally am on board with not having diversity for diversity sake, but just want to let you guys know that to some of us (Asian American males in particular who have been routinely cast as week/nerdy/ and not masculine by the media) this is a pretty big deal.

I hope that makes some sense, and I'm not coming off like a race-baiter/PC tool.

Right wing straight white male heroes are under represented at Marvel. All we have is Punisher, and Foolkiller if they ever bring him back

Sure I'll give you that, but when it comes to our nations make up comparing a political subset of the majority race to an often chastised and belittled minority race doesn't even compare.

I mean when you see something like this get laughs and ratings, it hurts as an Asian American. And trust me I'm about as "white washed" as they come, I speak only English, grew up in Ohio and have served in the military. Yet I still am faced with Bruce Lee jokes or these charactures in the media.

http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2015/01/hollywoods-real-problem-with-the-asian-male/

Until you live it, its hard to explain. And sorry to turn this into a race thing guys, but just giving my honest perspective.

Remmeber DBZ, did we get an Asian GOKU? Do we have an asian actres playing the lead in GITS?

With all the retcon and re tellings that comic book characters go through, I'm always amazed that changing ethnicity causes such a stir.

Maybe it's not a checklist...maybe Marvel and DC legitimately want to represent smaller segments of their fan base. 2c

With all the retcon and re tellings that comic book characters go through, I'm always amazed that changing ethnicity causes such a stir.

Maybe it's not a checklist...maybe Marvel and DC legitimately want to represent smaller segments of their fan base. 2c

It seems that that's the best way to grow your fan base. Pull an unrepresented segment of society by offering up something they can identify with, and hope they pick up other books in the line.

And sorry to turn this into a race thing guys, but just giving my honest perspective

The OP made this a race thing. What you're saying makes perfect sense, and it's unfortunate that more people can't see it from the perspective of those that are underrepresented (or poorly represented) in entertainment.

Thanks buddy, I do appreciate it. I'm as apple-pie american as they come, but I do have full asian heritage. Growing up I was just used to Superheroes not looking like me, and that was just the way things go.

I think whats getting lost in a lot of this whole fuss about "Marvel's changing X just to be more diverse" is the fact that to a lot of us under-represented people, we don't care about the mandate that it might have come from, its just cool as hell to finally be represented.

Imagine if every superhero you loved wasn't your race, and then all of a sudden DC/Marvel decides to make one of their big guns your race. You'd be excited no? Now wouldn't it suck a little to hear everyone else complain about how this was just "for diversity's sake" or even worse some of the "Peter Parker's White" vitrol.

In some way we are all outcasts being such big fans of something a lot of people consider low-art or for kids, so I like to think we are a bit more inclusive and understanding of minority groups than the mass public.

<3 and peace in our time.

And sorry to turn this into a race thing guys, but just giving my honest perspective

The OP made this a race thing. What you're saying makes perfect sense, and it's unfortunate that more people can't see it from the perspective of those that are underrepresented (or poorly represented) in entertainment.

Thanks buddy, I do appreciate it. I'm as apple-pie american as they come, but I do have full asian heritage. Growing up I was just used to Superheroes not looking like me, and that was just the way things go.

I think whats getting lost in a lot of this whole fuss about "Marvel's changing X just to be more diverse" is the fact that to a lot of us under-represented people, we don't care about the mandate that it might have come from, its just cool as hell to finally be represented.

Imagine if every superhero you loved wasn't your race, and then all of a sudden DC/Marvel decides to make one of their big guns your race. You'd be excited no? Now wouldn't it suck a little to hear everyone else complain about how this was just "for diversity's sake" or even worse some of the "Peter Parker's White" vitrol.

In some way we are all outcasts being such big fans of something a lot of people consider low-art or for kids, so I like to think we are a bit more inclusive and understanding of minority groups than the mass public.

:applause:

You don't think it's insulting that the apparent school of thought from the publishers is that minority characters can't achieve even limited success without replacing or copying white characters with an established fan base?

You don't think it's insulting that the apparent school of thought from the publishers is that minority characters can't achieve even limited success without replacing or copying white characters with an established fan base?

I don't think most kids would think make much about it honestly. Would just think it's pretty cool that a superhero kinda looks like them now.

edit: Misread your question, so my answer doesn't really make sense.

Of course its not ideal, but that's a systemic level problem with race in our country. I know some will say its a cop out, but hey every little step counts when it comes to seeing people like me, or more importantly the kids (because at this point I forget my skin color unless I look at the mirror), as super heroes.

I'd also like to offer the counter argument of Silk, as well as the choice to make Daisy/Quake a half asian. They are trying, but do understand the way that big media works, its hard enough to get an Asian in a role where he's not doing Jet Li moves, and acting shady.

Not an attack on you because I know your hearts in the right place, but essentially are you saying we shouldn't accept these minority characters because the reason they exist is sub-optimal? Lets look back at Black Panther, The Falcon, Luke Cage, do you think marketing and execs really thought "lets make sure black kids have someone to look up to."