• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is Up With This @#$%ing Auction?!?!

61 posts in this topic

Ooops...it's the 8.5 copy! Christo_pull_hair.gif

Yeah I hear the 9.0 Karger copy is now part of the Greggy pedigree... at least it is nutsack crease free tongue.gif

Did he ever have a CGC 9.0 copy of that book? poke2.gif

If you knew just a part of the guy's story you seriously wouldn't be wasting time worrying about how much money he was losing on eBay. It's completely in character for him, and it's really a nonissue.

Giving money to ebay for no reason is a non-issue? This MUST be quite a story.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Too bad you decided to "tease" us with the story without telling any part of it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That being said, I'm not worried about it, but it IS an issue since many people on these boards are ebay sellers, and looking at different selling models of success and failure is helpful to business and a large part of these forums, so...I respectfully beg to differ: It IS an issue and not a waste of time.

Joe

You just don't know the story.....

Without looking at the auction, I predict that you are referring to Fredkarger's copy of Defenders 14 CGC 9.4 with COW pagers with a BIN of almost $90! Am I correct? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Pretty good, Greg!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

You are not only correct, but The God of Comics. I'm still trying to figure out how you know which comics of mine are on comiclink. You know my collection better than I do...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You just don't know the story.....

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Old Guy, you're cracking me up!

Yes, one day I will be allowed into the inner recesses of the temple to hear The Secret Story of FredKrager 893whatthe.gif , or Karger, or whoever he is. confused-smiley-013.gif

But seriously, if a buddy of mine were running a business model like that, I'd at least try to offer some friendly advice. Maybe I'll just respectfully email the guy and see what he has to say...

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

..and the BIN is not $90, nice job Karnak. foreheadslap.gif
It's close to that for the 9.4 copy so sumo.gif
Yet you weren't predicting the 9.4 copy were you? Did you go and get your proctology exam done to fix your headache? confused-smiley-013.gif

Yet you weren't predicting the 9.4 copy were you? Did you go and get your proctology exam done to fix your headache? confused-smiley-013.gif
Read my initial post fool --> " Without looking at the auction, I predict that you are referring to Fredkarger's copy of Defenders 14 CGC 9.4 with COW pagers with a BIN of almost $90! Am I correct?" If I am referring to the 9.4 copy, why would the guess relate to the 8.5 copy? Nice try Sherlock!

screwy.gif

Read my initial post fool --> " Without looking at the auction, I predict that you are referring to Fredkarger's copy of Defenders 14 CGC 9.4 with COW pagers with a BIN of almost $90! Am I correct?" If I am referring to the 9.4 copy, why would the guess relate to the 8.5 copy? Nice try Sherlock!

screwy.gif

Hey, Greg -

Help me out here:

How many years has this auction been on ebay? I think it's been about four years; someone else said one. What do you think???

Joe

PS - And don't say "too many" -- tell me the amount in years if you remember, and I know you remember! You remember how much I paid for comics from years ago, so I know you know this. If you don't know, then I'm going to vote yes on the poll.

Hey, Greg -

Help me out here:

How many years has this auction been on ebay? I think it's been about four years; someone else said one. What do you think???

Joe

PS - And don't say "too many" -- tell me the amount in years if you remember, and I know you remember! You remember how much I paid for comics from years ago, so I know you know this...

I don't know if it's been 4 years but it's definitely more than one. Too bad the scans are too small so we can't check the serial number.

I voted yes on the Greggy poll! hi.gif

And for comicbookguy's question to how long it has been up:

My records show I bought from fredkarger:

Title: DEFENDERS #14.JULY,1974.CGC 9.2!!! NM-! C-OFF ebay item# 2150070598

for $27.50 ($35.30 with shipping) on 12/23/2002

so maybe he put up the 8.5 shortly thereafter? That makes is over 2 years...

Fred Karger = Brad Savage and really was pleasant to deal with. I just heard of his eccentricities 2nd hand from forumites who have seen him at the NYC National cons burning money ($100 bills?) or was it GSX-men 1/Hulk 181 copies he was setting on fire? The story embellishes each time it is told. I've also heard he is a former associate of Joe Koch and the seller known as cgc*comics/stckwizard, but this rumor has never been substantiated with facts?

If you knew just a part of the guy's story you seriously wouldn't be wasting time worrying about how much money he was losing on eBay.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

yeahok.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif You want me to spill some guy's personal info on here? If he made it public that'd be one thing, but he doesn't, so a lot of what I know about him is staying with me. I was friendly with him for a lot of years and did a lot of business with him. Based on that I'm not going to tell tales out of school...

All it boils down to, beyond the juicy details, is that the guy is a character and he can afford to lose whatever money he loses every year on ebay- as is also evidenced by the fact that he's been doing it for years and hasn't been kicked off for not paying his bills.

I was friendly with him for a lot of years and did a lot of business with him.

I can relate a similar experience with Brad, when I dealt with him. a knowledgeable professional, and like I mentioned before, no hint of whatever was learned 2ndhand from posters on these boards...

Fred karger/Brad Savage has nothing to do with stkwizard/CGCwhatever.

I know both of them.

Brad is a character that has some issues.I think he views ebay as an expensive hobby.

stkwizard is just a guy who lucked out into finding an abandoned warehouse and refused to listen to anyone on how to grade them.

Both are fairly nice guys but not good comic sellers.

If you knew just a part of the guy's story you seriously wouldn't be wasting time worrying about how much money he was losing on eBay.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

yeahok.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif You want me to spill some guy's personal info on here? If he made it public that'd be one thing, but he doesn't, so a lot of what I know about him is staying with me. I was friendly with him for a lot of years and did a lot of business with him. Based on that I'm not going to tell tales out of school...

All it boils down to, beyond the juicy details, is that the guy is a character and he can afford to lose whatever money he loses every year on ebay- as is also evidenced by the fact that he's been doing it for years and hasn't been kicked off for not paying his bills.

You're the one that brought it up. I don't expect anything from you, but why dangle the carrot in the first place? That's a little third grade IMO. I've got a secret that makes you wrong, but I'm not telling...seems a little silly.