• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Is Up With This @#$%ing Auction?!?!

61 posts in this topic

What is the DEAL with this auction???

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How Many Years Has This Been on EBAY???

I've been seeing this same comic listed by the same seller for going on four or more years. I check CGC DEFENDERS at least once a week on eBay and this is always there. How can this guy possibly make money on it? confused-smiley-013.gif If it's up for 30 cents a week for one year, that's 30 cents times 52, which equals over $15, not counting gallery, buy-it-now fees, etc. There is no way anyone's going to buy it at that price, and he paid $29 for the slab.

If anyone knows this guy, do him a favor: CLUE HIM IN!

And I don't want to paint myself as the philanthropist here, cause I'll be honest: I'm tired of looking at this thing!

someone earlier this week alluded to mass sellers like fred and neatstuff getting discounted rates? maybe store rates @ 5 cents per item? I don't conduct business anywhere near that level so I'm not aware personally of any such deals from ebay available, but would go toward explaining the duration that we see such items up for.

Here's another book I've seen listed at $475 for at least the past 2 years on eBay. I'm thinking of sending this guy an e-mail telling him to list in on Comiclink or something.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67&item=6503571997&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Priced to inflict pain!! Isn't he still pimping his HoS #92 CGC 9.6?

Neatstuff does a lot of business. This guy doesn't. He has a ton of stuff listed, but look at his feedback: 1700 different transactions, 2500 total sales since April 2001. He sells very little. I was doing the math in my head and if he has been running this auction for just one year, look at his costs:

$29 grading fee for a 1974 book.

30 cents to list, plus gallery, plus buy it now. That's about $80 just to list it in the auctions for one year. (It's not in his store.)

This guy is LOSING money big time. Even if he sells it at buyitnow, which will NEVER happen.

I seriously hope someone who knows this guy helps him out. If he has 188 non-selling items just eating away at his finances with ebay fees, selling just the occasional book, we are seeing something more than just poor business practices, but someone who needs some SERIOUS FINANCIAL ADVICE!!!

Here's another book I've seen listed at $475 for at least the past 2 years on eBay. I'm thinking of sending this guy an e-mail telling him to list in on Comiclink or something.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=67&item=6503571997&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

This auction is in a store, which is not AS big a waste of money as the Defenders seller is doing. But I agree with you, Comic Link is the way to go on this Brenda Starr. thumbsup2.gif

When I have trouble getting a price on something, I just list it at a penny and let it go. Relisting can add up to big bucks over time, especially using gallery and buy-it-now options.

Priced to inflict pain!! Isn't he still pimping his HoS #92 CGC 9.6?

Yes, Shay is a doctor; he KNOWS how to inflict pain!!

And speaking of...horror...Sterling, I hope you go to vote on the new poll in the bronze section to weigh in on what you think the best bronze covers are.

Joe

Neatstuff does a lot of business. This guy doesn't. He has a ton of stuff listed, but look at his feedback: 1700 different transactions, 2500 total sales since April 2001. He sells very little. I was doing the math in my head and if he has been running this auction for just one year, look at his costs:

$29 grading fee for a 1974 book.

30 cents to list, plus gallery, plus buy it now. That's about $80 just to list it in the auctions for one year. (It's not in his store.)

This guy is LOSING money big time. Even if he sells it at buyitnow, which will NEVER happen.

I seriously hope someone who knows this guy helps him out. If he has 188 non-selling items just eating away at his finances with ebay fees, selling just the occasional book, we are seeing something more than just poor business practices, but someone who needs some SERIOUS FINANCIAL ADVICE!!!

If you knew just a part of the guy's story you seriously wouldn't be wasting time worrying about how much money he was losing on eBay. It's completely in character for him, and it's really a nonissue.

What is the DEAL with this auction???

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How Many Years Has This Been on EBAY???

I've been seeing this same comic listed by the same seller for going on four or more years. I check CGC DEFENDERS at least once a week on eBay and this is always there. How can this guy possibly make money on it? confused-smiley-013.gif If it's up for 30 cents a week for one year, that's 30 cents times 52, which equals over $15, not counting gallery, buy-it-now fees, etc. There is no way anyone's going to buy it at that price, and he paid $29 for the slab.

If anyone knows this guy, do him a favor: CLUE HIM IN!

And I don't want to paint myself as the philanthropist here, cause I'll be honest: I'm tired of looking at this thing!

Without looking at the auction, I predict that you are referring to Fredkarger's copy of Defenders 14 CGC 9.4 with COW pagers with a BIN of almost $90! Am I correct? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

If you knew just a part of the guy's story you seriously wouldn't be wasting time worrying about how much money he was losing on eBay. It's completely in character for him, and it's really a nonissue.

Giving money to ebay for no reason is a non-issue? This MUST be quite a story.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Too bad you decided to "tease" us with the story without telling any part of it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That being said, I'm not worried about it, but it IS an issue since many people on these boards are ebay sellers, and looking at different selling models of success and failure is helpful to business and a large part of these forums, so...I respectfully beg to differ: It IS an issue and not a waste of time.

Joe