• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rippling at top of marvels 1989-1990 or so?

17 posts in this topic

I have seen threads on this way back when, what's the deal with that? It is so common I assume it is not actual damage, something about the production process? does it press out? can i press it out myself with a hot iron? ;-)

I have seen threads on this way back when, what's the deal with that?

It is so common I assume it is not actual damage, something about the production process? Too many have the problem for it not to be production related.

Does it press out? Yes it does.

Can i press it out myself with a hot iron? ;-) Of course you can. You can also get rid of the waves by burning the book...but you wont do that will you.

Certain Silver Surfer and Transformers books are notorious for this issue. Transformers 79 and 80 IMO are the worst.

It is so common I assume it is not actual damage, something about the production process? Too many have the problem for it not to be production related.

Can i press it out myself with a hot iron? ;-) Of course you can. You can also get rid of the waves by burning the book...but you wont do that will you.

Certain Silver Surfer and Transformers books are notorious for this issue. Transformers 79 and 80 IMO are the worst.

Never had a TF 79 or 80 but a +100 on the SS's from that era.I think the combination of whatever sort of paper stock was used for the cover & the interior paper stoc k Marvel used in that time period round 1990-1992 .....was subpar....it is superrrrifically absorbent to humidity.

Never had a TF 79 or 80 but a +100 on the SS's from that era.I think the combination of whatever sort of paper stock was used for the cover & the interior paper stoc k Marvel used in that time period round 1990-1992 .....was subpar....it is superrrrifically absorbent to humidity.

Perhaps. As to the SSs, I think the wavy cover edges dictate what happens to the interior pages. This was also an issue later during the early 2000s, e.g., the Ultimate FF run - but there, it appears to be both the cover and the interior pages.

Pirates of Dark Water, James Bond Jr. and some of the other smaller run Marvels have the same issues.

---------------

is this a humidity absorption issue or just something about the paper that makes it do this after a while?

The entire Marvel line was affected by this at one point or another. It doesn't have anything to do with "absorbing humidity", that's simply how they were made. It affects Marvels from 1988 to 1992, and other companies' books, as well. It's one of the reasons Marvel switched paper formats in 1992.

Ever pick up a Quasar #17? Try and find one without the rippling. Or a Cap #383 (made worse by being square bound.) Try a Cap #344, or a #340. Spidey #329? Oh yeah. Oh, and Web of Spiderman from #38-85. Spectacular #159, 160, 166, 167. That's simply how they came from the printers.

CGC mostly ignores it, unless it's really severe.

The entire Marvel line was affected by this at one point or another. It doesn't have anything to do with "absorbing humidity", that's simply how they were made. It affects Marvels from 1988 to 1992, and other companies' books, as well. It's one of the reasons Marvel switched paper formats in 1992.

Ever pick up a Quasar #17? Try and find one without the rippling. Or a Cap #383 (made worse by being square bound.) Try a Cap #344, or a #340. Spidey #329? Oh yeah. Oh, and Web of Spiderman from #38-85. Spectacular #159, 160, 166, 167. That's simply how they came from the printers.

CGC mostly ignores it, unless it's really severe.

Thanks. You would know what CGC does or does not do as I assume you submit a lot.

I just had a pretty nice book returned based on this via ebay. The buyer thought it was water damaged. Not a 9.8, so it wouldn't be worth testing this with CGC though. As I accept returns no questions asked I'm not fighting about it and I paid shipping to get it returned as the book is worth more than $4, I just wanted to explain to him that this is not a water damaged book, this is just how many of them are. I think a lot of collectors don't know this. Indeed, I was probably not aware of this 5 years ago, I had probably not paid attention as almost everything from that era used to be a dollar box book other than a couple of keys and now there's all sorts of stuff that is worth something.

Has anyone seen an article on this? I did a little interweb searching but got nothing.

Mattbird (boardie) saw this with his Conan run... all were his OO books, all bought off the stands and stored correctly, but the late 80s/early 90s books in the run had this kind of edge rippling. Sucks...

Those who didn't buy these books off the stands might panic, not knowing that that is how these were made. I suspect most of the people buying them new just accepted this as par for the course, and didn't give it any further thought.

I suppose as more and more time passes, those unfamiliar with it will view it as a problem.

hm

So, to anyone concerned, I'll just say: Don't panic. That's how they were made. No need to rush off to have them pressed.

Those who didn't buy these books off the stands might panic, not knowing that that is how these were made. I suspect most of the people buying them new just accepted this as par for the course, and didn't give it any further thought.

I suppose as more and more time passes, those unfamiliar with it will view it as a problem.

hm

So, to anyone concerned, I'll just say: Don't panic. That's how they were made. No need to rush off to have them pressed.

Yup, I remember coming back from my weekly new comic run with Silver Surfers that exhibit this rippling

hm

Didn't make much of a difference what I had to say to the guy on ebay who returned it. (A nice SS 44) Oh well. I wound up including it as a freebie for someone who spent over $300 with me.

hm

Didn't make much of a difference what I had to say to the guy on ebay who returned it. (A nice SS 44) Oh well. I wound up including it as a freebie for someone who spent over $300 with me.

Silver Surfer 44 is brutal with the ripples. Every copy I've gotten has them, some at the top, some at the bottom