• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SONY open to a ROBOCOP sequel!?

12 posts in this topic

Just, why? :facepalm:

Is sony that desperate for material that they would consider a sequel to a so-so remake?

RoboCop: Sony Reportedly Open To A Sequel

In an era which finds the major Hollywood studios chasing high-profile blockbuster franchises for better (the ongoing, successful Marvel Cinematic Universe) or worse (Fox’s Fantastic Four), a less-than-sure bet has been the quasi-reboot of semi-dormant properties. The past few years have seen a number of such projects, but director José Padilha’s 2014 update of RoboCop fell somewhere in the middle when it came to total box office and critical reception.

Paul Verhoeven’s cult 1987 RoboCop was followed by a two sequels and two television series, none of which captured the audience’s imagination like the original. The world had already seen a popular 1980s property given a modern update to middling reception with 2012’s Total Recall, so fans were highly skeptical that a new RoboCop could work. With the reviews overall so-so (read ours here) and the film probably breaking even at the box office, a sequel is hard to justify.

http://screenrant.com/robocop-2-sony-update/

Better than the sequels but still not nearly on par with the original. It just seems like a lot of these reboots only focus on the property & not the story told using that property & try to recapture that same thing. Total Recall was partially the insanity of the story that people loved. The reboot totally missed that. Robocop reboot seemed to decide to take the "struggle to recover your humanity" story of the original & put it in reverse order where he lost his humanity.

Better than the sequels but still not nearly on par with the original.

Oh yeah. Not even close.

Jackie Earle Haley's character was really annoying. I so wanted to see him disappear from the screen. And I like that actor.

The reboot was better than I expected. Certainly better than Robocop 3.

Fixed that for you, since Robocop 2 was amazing with some of the most fun to watch stop motion animated battles ever :D

:golfclap: Robocop 2 has imo aged well considering it was poorly received upon release. It's by no means on par with the first, but if Robocop is a 10, Robo 2 is an 8/8.5, still better then the reboot which I gave a 6. :P

I remember being excited for Robo2, especially with Frank Miller being involved. I also remember being very disappointed. Maybe it's time for a re-watch?

Only thing I remember about 3 (besides the PG-13 rating) is near the end when he flies and you can see the cables he's swinging on. Good stuff there. lol

I remember being excited for Robo2, especially with Frank Miller being involved. I also remember being very disappointed. Maybe it's time for a re-watch?

Only thing I remember about 3 (besides the PG-13 rating) is near the end when he flies and you can see the cables he's swinging on. Good stuff there. lol

Robocop 3 is definitely worthy of MST3K mockery.

The reboot touched a lot of the stuff the original never bothered with and had moderate success (I liked how his family-his real weakness- was still in his life. Abbie Cornish was superbly cast). Even though, I loved Weller's original "man-fighting-machine" body movements, I thought it made sense Robo could move better. Once again, I loved Ronny Cox's villainy in the original, but Michael Keaton was no slouch either. I agree with Bosco that Jackie Earle Hayley slept-walked through his role, Samuel Jackson was annoying and should have been played by a lesser known actor and was Gary Oldman counting his salary to be in this on-screen? The new actor who plays Robo was good (Kinnamen), but not as haunting as Weller and his make up effects were to practically realistic and not as horrifying as we are accustomed to. Add on a car bomb, just didn't feel that "personal". But I can overlook all these things, becauses of the entity we got called RoboCop 3.

RoboCop (1987)****

RoboCop 2**1/2

RoboCop 3*

RoboCop (2014)***