• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miracleman Gold Edition - advice on eBay

7 posts in this topic

Dear All

Being reletively new to the joys of eBay, I wonder if you could explain to me what happened here (no smart "you got outbid" type-answers) in so much as this user appeared with no feedback and seemed to be bidding against himself to win...

MM Auction

Should this ring alarm bells?

Or is this standard practise?

many thanks

p.s. if anyone else has a mint MM #1 Gold Edition - there's good money to be paid from me for one! I only gave up the bidding because I'm at work and was called into a meeting. Bummer.

Should this ring alarm bells?

No...if he was a shill, he probably wouldn't have placed so many bids to ensure that you DIDN'T win, as that would defeat the purpose (unless the goal is to have this buyer renege on the deal and then have the seller re-offer the item to you at an inflated price - probably not likely, but you never know).

Or is this standard practise?

I would not say it's standard practice, but there could be several legitimate reasons for this bidding behavior: (a) overzealous newbie to eBay, (b) he got caught up in auction fever, © he was trying to scare you and other potential bidders away by bidding so aggressively and putting in multiple high bids.

- Gene

All this says to me is that the winner convinced himself to up his max bid three times before the end of the auction and that he really wanted that book. I've done that a couple of times myself (never three times in the same auction though).

I don't think it's a shill - the seller has a spotless feedback record. If you look at the bidding history, when he placed his $125 bid, your top bid of $125.76 was revealed blush.gif , so that tells the bidder that the next bid increment would win the book. I don't know why he would place 3 bids to beat it, but the last one was an 18-second snipe, so it looks to me like he simply really wanted the book and was going to try to counter-snipe any last-minute snipers. Not that great of a snipe effort on his part though!