• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mycomicshop.com question

86 posts in this topic

. I think it's becoming pretty well known with repeat costumers that they under grade, and sales reflect that.

While this may be great for buyers, it's not good for sellers, and there's also the occasion when a buyer assumes "it's MCS, so they've undergraded", when it happens to be an overgraded example.

Consistency is the only correct answer.

I know that personally I hate assigning the grade VF- or Fine- or any grade with a minus after it. It just sounds bad to me. I'll do it, but it bothers the heck out of me. Most people can tell from my sales threads that I am way more likely to call a book a 5.0 than call it a 5.5 even if it probably would be a legit 5.5. MCS seems to prefer the "-" grade way more than I do, so I do get frustrated by that, but that's my own bias playing in.

If you focus on the "VF" part, rather than the "-" part, it might make it easier.

It's better than saying "well, this is a Fine/VF+", don't you think?

It's a bit of a hangup, and very unfortunate when CGC did away with it because it "bothered people."

Are people upset when they get an A- on a test...?

hm

Well, maybe now they are, I haven't been in a class since 1999.

I'm glad they did away with the letter grades overall. I prefer the straight #'ed grades. It took me time to come around since I had been assigning letter grades since 1991 or so, but my personal preference is definitely #'s now. It's been almost 15 years since I had class, so who knows...They may not even use letter grades in any real capacity any more. I remember a few professors I had in college still using A,B,C etc, but they were the minority. (this was around 2000)

In a perfect world, the grades would be more in line with CGC as it's the industry standard, but I think the gigantor scans they have help with their under grading. I deal in mostly $50+ books when I consign, and I'm hoping that the majority of the people buying that stuff are taking the time to check the scans. Hopefully new buyers aren't turned off by the assigned grades to the point where they don't bother to look at scans, but who knows really. I sell quite a bit on there, so I have to assume enough people are in the know about the grading enough to look at the book closer.

Hopping on board the "MCS Rules" train. I emailed them about a mislabeled variant I ordered, and it was resolved so fast my head was spinning. They've always earned my repeat business, but now I"m more impressed than ever.

Bazorg.

I honestly think they are harder on consignment books' grades than their own books, and it actually makes business sense for them. They pay very quickly; once a consignment book is shipped, they pay that Friday, and, if the customer is happy because the book's been undergraded, they are far less likely to get a return. I have no problem with this; I consign with them all the time. But I think their raw consignment books generally do better because they generally hammer them harder grade-wise.