• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gambit loses its Director (Time for Fox to throw in the towel?)

59 posts in this topic

Good. She's annoying as hell, especially as Rogue.

The commentary area of that article would definitely show support for this statement. Some posting cosplayers they felt more fitting.

KT0IPng.jpg

She seems to rate more approval.

Good. She's annoying as hell, especially as Rogue.

The commentary area of that article would definitely show support for this statement. Some posting cosplayers they felt more fitting.

KT0IPng.jpg

She seems to rate more approval.

She has my approval. ;)

Now THIS would be a win.

EDGE OF TOMORROW Director Doug Liman Being Courted For GAMBIT

20th Century Fox and Channing Tatum may be closing in on a replacement for Rupert Wyatt, as reports are coming in that the Gambit actor is keen on Bourne Identity and Edge Of Tomorrow director Doug Liman to helm the X-Men spin-off.

tumblr_mxd838ca4N1r3maj7o1_500.gif

Now THIS would be a win.

only if he brings a new leading man with him, and everyone involved with casting tatum is also fired, and everything any of them who thought it was a good idea worked on, is completely scrapped :D

I like Liman & am glad Tom Cruise has given him a bit of renaissance after he was all-but-blacklisted briefly after The Bourne Identity.

Tatum's fine too -- he's become a solid actor who has paid his dues in some serious dramatic roles (A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, Side Effects, Foxcatcher) and he was absurdly good in 21 & 22 Jump Street.

Better question though -- if not him for Gambit, than who? All I see as realistic alternatives are a bunch of 20-somethings who have come up through recent dystopic sci-fi films like The Hunger Games or Maze Runner flicks.

Foxcatcher

This was such a good, intensive, but sad situation in that movie. And the shame is the story was true.

:eek:

He really did deliver on his role as Mark Schultz. What a manipulated individual.

images%2Farticle%2F2015%2F04%2F20%2FChanningTatumVerySad.gif

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/channing-tatums-gambit-movie-loses-823992

One source told The Hollywood Reporter that a changing -script caused the film's budget to be larger than expected, extending the shoot, and prompting the push.

I know Fox was very excited about the prospect of moving away from the X-Franchise somewhat (especially as they are losing J-Law) to have the Gambit and Deadpool movies be tentpoles.

We're far from being red-alert, all hands on deck disaster, but yet another issue regarding a director and the Fox/Marvel folks has paranoid me thinking it might be time for some major re-structuring at Fox's Marvel branch.

Deadpool will be a hit, but everything I've read seems it was realtively hands off when it comes to the studio.

The bolded part caught my eye, and I hope it's true, as IMO she was awful as mystique. No athletic ability, and a cabbage patch doll face.

Rebecca Romijn was way better, sexy, didn't move like a Clydesdale, and just a smart mature feel to her portrayal of Mystique.

Foxcatcher

This was such a good, intensive, but sad situation in that movie. And the shame is the story was true.

:eek:

He really did deliver on his role as Mark Schultz. What a manipulated individual.

Yeah -- I remember it, too.

I grew up about 4 miles from that Dupont estate in suburban Philly & was in high school when the events occurred. Dupont really did barricade himself on the grounds for a few days while he was negotiating with the police. It dominated our local news for a solid week.

A weird and very sad story.

I like Liman & am glad Tom Cruise has given him a bit of renaissance after he was all-but-blacklisted briefly after The Bourne Identity.

Tatum's fine too -- he's become a solid actor who has paid his dues in some serious dramatic roles (A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints, Side Effects, Foxcatcher) and he was absurdly good in 21 & 22 Jump Street.

Better question though -- if not him for Gambit, than who? All I see as realistic alternatives are a bunch of 20-somethings who have come up through recent dystopic sci-fi films like The Hunger Games or Maze Runner flicks.

Tatum is terrible, like reynolds. That's DC style casting, dont need that in Marvel films even fox ones. Fox has done decent with many of the x-men castings.

Nobody could have or would have picked fassbender or mcavoy as likely candidates before first class.

You ask who better? Some gifted young up-and-coming actor who is cast for his talents not his physical appearance. All those Hunger Game and Maze Runner flicks are filled with American style actors cast for looks. Fox should cast a British-style stage actor who is just cracking the door on film, someone no one could guess but who might have had a couple supporting roles no one paid attention to yet.

That's the caliber of actor they need for Gambit. Tatum moving his acting skills needle from a 2 to a 5/6 still isnt good enough.

You're wrong.

Channing's already proven he's leagues better than Ryan Reynolds.

Further proof? His next two movies -- "The Hateful Eight" (by Quentin Tarantino) & "Hail Caesar" (The Coen Brothers). You don't get to work with them unless you're good, as well as a box office draw.

It's easy to hate on Tatum because he was initially cast (and sometimes still is) for his looks alone, but he's evolved impressively along the way, working with the likes of Stephen Soderbergh, & Bennett Miller.

He's also been involved behind the scenes, co-producing a bunch of films and as the primary writer on Magic Mike.

Only other recent example I can think of like him is The Rock -- he was ridiculous bad in The Scorpion King but put in the work over the next 15 years -- now he improves nearly every film he's in, even if it's a dumb comic book film like GI Joe: Retaliation.

Tatum is terrible, like reynolds. That's DC style casting, dont need that in Marvel films even fox ones. Fox has done decent with many of the x-men castings.

Nobody could have or would have picked fassbender or mcavoy as likely candidates before first class.

You ask who better? Some gifted young up-and-coming actor who is cast for his talents not his physical appearance. All those Hunger Game and Maze Runner flicks are filled with American style actors cast for looks. Fox should cast a British-style stage actor who is just cracking the door on film, someone no one could guess but who might have had a couple supporting roles no one paid attention to yet.

That's the caliber of actor they need for Gambit. Tatum moving his acting skills needle from a 2 to a 5/6 still isnt good enough.

This is definitely an argument open to interpretation, as I personally have enjoyed every performance I've seen Tatum give. (thumbs u Seeing as he's already cast and there's nothing much that can be done (unless he royally something up pre-shoot) I am looking forward to seeing what he does with the part.

Seriously, if someone has a specific actor they think would do better and still look the part, throw it out there :foryou:

Seriously, if someone has a specific actor they think would do better and still look the part, throw it out there :foryou:

Josh Holloway. Pulls off the whole scruffy shaggy dirty blonde thing. Not to old, but not to young either. Has swagger. Can pull an accent. Can act.

Come on Sawyer is just Gambit without the powers!

Josh Holloway. Pulls off the whole scruffy shaggy dirty blonde thing. Not to old, but not to young either. Has swagger. Can pull an accent. Can act.

Josh-josh-holloway-3592400-391-600.jpg

Good recommendation! Not that I am Tatum Tamping.

Actually, I totally agree. :applause: