• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Moon Knight books thread-Spectacular Spiderman # 23 is my 1st pick..

68 posts in this topic

besides the obious 2nd M.K. app. in WBN 33....I'd say this book is a sleeper (in 9.8) as it is the first Moon Knight & Spidey meeting & team-up.

GPA only 3 sales of this book within 2014-2015.I checked eBay and there are no slabbed copies available.

A 9.8 sold for $80 in 2013 and the last 9.8 sold for $35 in 2014.

WBN 32 has been super hot for a while now and with M.K. being talked about for a Netflix series, it stands to reason that the second tier M.K keys should be following suit, here is GPA on SSM 23....

No. 23, Volume 1, 1st print, Marvel Comics (1978)

Grade

Notes 2013 Avg 2014 Avg 12Mnth Avg 90Day Avg Last Sale

[click to add this comic to My Comics]

( 9.8 ) (1) $80 (5) $48 - - $35 Aug-2014

( 9.8 ) Golden State - - - - $46 Mar-2010

( 9.8 ) Rocky Mountain Pedigree - - - - $75 Mar-2010

( 9.6 ) - - - - $23 Sep-2012

( 9.6 ) Winnipeg pedigree - - - - $50 Aug-2007

( 9.4 ) - - - - $30 Mar-2012

( 9.4 ) Sgnt series/Signed by Jim Mooney - - (1) $67 - $67 Feb-2015

( 9.2 ) - - (1) $18 (1) $18 $18 Jul-2015

Relists, non-sales, errors:

(9.6) Item recorded as sold/seller verified non-sale/publ 1978 $21 Aug-2015

I wish and hope it works that way as I am sure I have a ton of tertiary MK appearances from the late 70s, but it doesn't seem to all the time, but this market seems to be all about 1sts. Now, if MK and Spidey had a team-up book that lasted 5 years that would be something else. With that said, it's true that when the GR movie came out that did liven up the whole runs of 70s GR books, but now there are so many comic properties in play I wonder.

+1 on testing the waters.

I think a CGC 9.8 would sell at a $100 or more.Might even catch 2 bills.

As far as GR books go, except MS 5 and GR 1 (vol 1) have neen solid for years....the rest of the run are duds.If Overstreet puts them at $20-$40 , I sell them occasionally at shows for ten bucks.If they're Overstreet value is less than $20....they catch five bucks.

At best, raw 9.4/9.6's sell at half Overstreet 9.2.

I wish and hope it works that way as I am sure I have a ton of tertiary MK appearances from the late 70s, but it doesn't seem to all the time, but this market seems to be all about 1sts. Now, if MK and Spidey had a team-up book that lasted 5 years that would be something else. With that said, it's true that when the GR movie came out that did liven up the whole runs of 70s GR books, but now there are so many comic properties in play I wonder.

I should add that I am referring to GR sales in the past couple of years, I apologize.I'm sure that you're right about the past GR movies helping to sell the GR 70's run book but that sales push was certainly fleeting.Which is the usual trend with trickled down movie interest spurred books.

As far as now, 1970's GR books (except the MS 5 & GR 1 ) are sloooow.

Hell, I've been prepping for a show the past couple days and I am coming across early mid grade VG/FN's GR Marvel Spotlights & single digit 1970's GR books around F/VF's....that all likely guide for around $15-20///.......put them in Mylite2's & Full Backs over a year ago then filed them into my $10 boxes.

I think I may have sold *one or two of them* of them in the past year....meh.

Whichever issues I haven't already re-filed into my $5 boxes out of my $10 boxes....well, I'll be filing them into my $5 boxes for Hartford this weekend, that'll move 'em (shrug)

Back to the point, Moon Knight has yet to really experience the sort of growth surge that characters like Luke Cage and GR have, due to multi-media deals and so on.

That is largely *why* I started this thread, to spotlight MK books which have low GPA/FMV now, but could reasonably fetch multiples of their current FMV's.

I don't think it would take a MK/Spidey team up book to run 5 years for a book like this to see exponential growth, based on the thoughts I relayed above.

And once MK gets the full media treatment, his first meeting with one of the most popular/ best selling Marvel flagship heroes like 'ole Webhead should be a "key book" due to the popularity of Spidey & MK alone.

I'm not suggesting it'll be a $500-$1000 book on the merits that I spoke of....and I am also confident that it cannot be super tough to find raw 9.8 candidates at under $25 or so in the wild....well, I should rephrase that.....

...it can't be hard to find 9.2 /9.4/9.6 copies in the wild, but the sort of 9.4's which are dry clean & pressable to solid 9.8 candidates.

I think it could easily end up trading at around the $300 figure that Miller's 1st (pencil) work on Daredevil does,which is a few issues later in the run.That being Spectacular Spiderman #27 , which is solid around $300.

Then again, what do I know?

Backing off of the mental masturbation over second tier 70's MK books and rolling my sleeves up and getting back to prepping new stock for the Hartford Con this weekend seems like a better idea than engaging myself in this topic further, at least for the time being :roflmao:

I should add that I am referring to GR sales in the past couple of years, I apologize.I'm sure that you're right about the past GR movies helping to sell the GR 70's run book but that sales push was certainly fleeting.Which is the usual trend with trickled down movie interest spurred books.

As far as now, 1970's GR books (except the MS 5 & GR 1 ) are sloooow.

Hell, I've been prepping for a show the past couple days and I am coming across early mid grade VG/FN's GR Marvel Spotlights & single digit 1970's GR books around F/VF's....that all likely guide for around $15-20///.......put them in Mylite2's & Full Backs over a year ago then filed them into my $10 boxes.

I think I may have sold *one or two of them* of them in the past year....meh.

Whichever issues I haven't already re-filed into my $5 boxes out of my $10 boxes....well, I'll be filing them into my $5 boxes for Hartford this weekend, that'll move 'em (shrug)

Back to the point, Moon Knight has yet to really experience the sort of growth surge that characters like Luke Cage and GR have, due to multi-media deals and so on.

That is largely *why* I started this thread, to spotlight MK books which have low GPA/FMV now, but could reasonably fetch multiples of their current FMV's.

I don't think it would take a MK/Spidey team up book to run 5 years for a book like this to see exponential growth, based on the thoughts I relayed above.

And once MK gets the full media treatment, his first meeting with one of the most popular/ best selling Marvel flagship heroes like 'ole Webhead should be a "key book" due to the popularity of Spidey & MK alone.

I'm not suggesting it'll be a $500-$1000 book on the merits that I spoke of....and I am also confident that it cannot be super tough to find raw 9.8 candidates at under $25 or so in the wild....well, I should rephrase that.....

...it can't be hard to find 9.2 /9.4/9.6 copies in the wild, but the sort of 9.4's which are dry clean & pressable to solid 9.8 candidates.

I think it could easily end up trading at around the $300 figure that Miller's 1st (pencil) work on Daredevil does,which is a few issues later in the run.That being Spectacular Spiderman #27 , which is solid around $300.

Then again, what do I know?

Backing off of the mental masturbation over second tier 70's MK books and rolling my sleeves up and getting back to prepping new stock for the Hartford Con this weekend seems like a better idea than engaging myself in this topic further, at least for the time being :roflmao:

Can you think of any precedent examples of books that took off because they were the first time x and y met? Superman/Batman, sure. But, say, Daredevil and...? Spider-Man and...? Unless it's also the first appearance of x or y, I really can't think of any books that have gotten hot because previously existing character x meets previously existing character y.

This market doesn't care about anything except first appearances. First appearance of Cable? $300+ in 9.8.

Second appearance of Cable? $30.

First appearance of Punisher in 9.4? $1,500

Second? $250

The market simply doesn't care about these things like they used to. The old collector mentality of "I have to get them ALL!" is gone, for the most part.

I can just hear the sneer: "it's WHAT appearance of Moon Knight...?? And I would care about that, because...?"

The market wants the prestige; comics as commodities, not as storylines.

"This is the FIRST APPEARANCE of (insert latest multimedia darling here) EVER!!!"

"First time X and Y meet....? Pffft. Only NERDS care about THAT kind of stuff."

Sad, but oh so true.

I think the Spotlight solo books, 30 cent variants are the 2nd Tier Moon Knights to get. Also the Defenders story around issue 50 was good. The Moon Knight cover in Amazing Spiderman is better than the PPSS cover IMO.

besides the obious 2nd M.K. app. in WBN 33....I'd say this book is a sleeper (in 9.8) as it is the first Moon Knight & Spidey meeting & team-up.

GPA only 3 sales of this book within 2014-2015.I checked eBay and there are no slabbed copies available.

A 9.8 sold for $80 in 2013 and the last 9.8 sold for $35 in 2014.

WBN 32 has been super hot for a while now and with M.K. being talked about for a Netflix series, it stands to reason that the second tier M.K keys should be following suit, here is GPA on SSM 23....

No. 23, Volume 1, 1st print, Marvel Comics (1978)

Grade

Notes 2013 Avg 2014 Avg 12Mnth Avg 90Day Avg Last Sale

( 9.8 ) (1) $80 (5) $48 - - $35 Aug-2014

( 9.8 ) Golden State - - - - $46 Mar-2010

( 9.8 ) Rocky Mountain Pedigree - - - - $75 Mar-2010

( 9.6 ) - - - - $23 Sep-2012

( 9.6 ) Winnipeg pedigree - - - - $50 Aug-2007

( 9.4 ) - - - - $30 Mar-2012

( 9.4 ) Sgnt series/Signed by Jim Mooney - - (1) $67 - $67 Feb-2015

( 9.2 ) - - (1) $18 (1) $18 $18 Jul-2015

Relists, non-sales, errors:

(9.6) Item recorded as sold/seller verified non-sale/publ 1978 $21 Aug-2015

I happen to have a 9.8 white page book in my registry.

It is a mid run book from a second tier title, really not worth the slabbing fees I paid.

But if you think other wise I am all ears.

The market simply doesn't care about these things like they used to. The old collector mentality of "I have to get them ALL!" is gone, for the most part.

I can just hear the sneer: "it's WHAT appearance of Moon Knight...?? And I would care about that, because...?"

"This is the FIRST APPEARANCE of (insert latest multimedia darling here) EVER!!!"

Sad, but oh so true.

Right, but it depends also on the story.

There are stories where two characters meet for the first time that are just bad.

And no, when stories are good, no "nerding" involved.

This market doesn't care about anything except first appearances. First appearance of Cable? $300+ in 9.8.

Second appearance of Cable? $30.

First appearance of Punisher in 9.4? $1,500

Second? $250

Sad, but oh so true.

I think collectors still care, but nobody is driving those prices up like the 1st appearances. I have to believe there are still people who are "I have to get them ALL!" collectors, otherwise how can you explain the variant craze that has infiltrated the new comic market? (shrug) Anecdotally, I believe the new comic market is propped up more by variants than we might want to believe. There are ample examples that support this.

We live in an age of sound bytes. "First" is a huge sound byte in the comic world that turns heads. "First appearance"! "First meeting"! "First issue"!

All IMHO of course.

The Hulk (magazine) # 11-15,17-18,20 have non-reprint solo Moon Knight stories that are hard to find in high grade and are very cheap in Guide.

I was going to say the same, but only certain collectors give a mess about magazines. :(

The Hulk (magazine) # 11-15,17-18,20 have non-reprint solo Moon Knight stories that are hard to find in high grade and are very cheap in Guide.

I was going to say the same, but only certain collectors give a mess about magazines. :(

It's a really nice run and it is in color. #13 features the first Moench/Sienkiewicz Moon Knight story, which to me, kind of is the lead in to the regular comic series.

Plus I believe its Sienkiewicz first work.

And these are probably among the best, early Moon Knight stories. I have to grab some at some point.

The dramatic change in the market really has been sudden and severe.

I look for it to last until the movie explosion is done. Then speculators who entered the

hobby for quick cash will be gone again just like they were in the 90s.

You can tell even on this board by membership registration to a certain extent. An occasional person joins periodically thats a fan, collector, and so on, but the last few years they

are minority.