• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA directed by Bryan Singer
1 1

12 posts in this topic

A classic story that influenced many comic book creators and fans!

853043.jpg

Bryan Singer Heading "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" for Next Project

IrrAzuj.jpg

His next project, as you can see, is an adaptation of the classic Jules Verne novel, "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" (often written as "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea") While the novel has received more than its fair share of adaptations in the past (perhaps the most notable coming from Disney back in 1954), this is the first time filmmakers will have sufficient technology to truly portray the spectacle of the sea.

For this unfamiliar, "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea" follows the story of Captain Nemo and his crew aboard his submarine vessel, named Nautilus. While on this adventure, the crew face amazing and horrible creatures within the ocean's depths, including the legendary giant squids. Also, in a quick sidebar, it's worth noting that the title of the story refers to how far the submarine travels whilst underwater, not how deep underwater it is--not entirely relevant, but worth mentioning.

The 1954 version will be hard to beat.

It was a childhood favorite of mine, right up there with the original "Journey to the center of the earth"

+1 Such a good movie. I may have to go rent it now that you put it in my brain.

+ 2 I've been introducing my kids to the older Disney movies like Treasure Island. They still are worth watching.

Bryan Singer To Direct 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

The film has been in development for some time, and at one point there was a version at Disney, attached to Fight Club and The Social Network filmmaker David Fincher.

Singer's version of the film would be for 20th Century Fox, where he's fresh off the huge success of X-Men: Days of Future Past.

“I’m incredibly excited to be working with my friends at Fox, with whom I’ve had such a long and fruitful relationship,” Singer said in a statement. “Ever since I was a boy and first discovered the 1870 Jules Verne novel, I have dreamt of retelling this classic story. Without revealing too much, it contains not only the original characters of Captain Nemo, Ned Land and Professor Aronnax, but also some new and original characters and Sci Fi plot twists culminating in a timeless adventure for all ages.”

I never seen the original Disney movie made in the 1950s.

I think I will now.

Loved it when I was a kid. Haven't seen it in probably 30 years.

I heard very great things about it.

It's a part of a Holy Trilogy of popculture stuff that Disney did in the 1950s.

Davy Crockett and Zorro are the other two.

They dominated the 50s like Star Wars and Marvel do now.

The 1954 version will be hard to beat.

It was a childhood favorite of mine, right up there with the original "Journey to the center of the earth"

+1 Such a good movie. I may have to go rent it now that you put it in my brain.

+ 2 I've been introducing my kids to the older Disney movies like Treasure Island. They still are worth watching.

Treasure Island is on my must watch list as well.