• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "New Forum" Discussion Thread

509 posts in this topic

You go Roy.

Oh, I'm going all right. I'm going to bed right after putting RMA on ignore for saying R-Foy

:pullhair:

.... I once put the entire User List on "ignore" and the entire Universe ceased to exist. I swiftly, deftly hit the "back" button, before I vanished into a vortex of nothingness. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(A friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I wish some industrious, enterprising young Boardie would take this same brand of hyperorganizational OCD mania meets Gladys Kravitz level busybodiness over to the WC. That place's a trainwreck in need of overhaul by subforum.

Is that Lenny's mom?

If so...she would recommend a TBH gas analysis subforum, a Thing strike discussion subforum...and possibly a chupacabra subforum.

You've made similar mea culpas before and yet here we are again. Maybe you need to look up what accountability means. I don't mean that in a condescending way. I'm totally serious.

In all honesty this is really getting to be ridiculous. I get frustrated with an individual, blow up and apologize to the boards for taking up some extra space around here. Then it is longer the next time until it happens or takes me longer than it did the last time around to reach the same end. Beyond that, what do you expect - this is an internet chat board where frankly the vast majority of this is within the rules (otherwise there would be far more moderation and strikes). What is silly (and continues to justify, unfairly so, others behavior) is the fact that it seems that the only people around here that people want to "spank" are those whose approach is "loud and direct."

However, people that take a different approach (but reach similar ends) via tactics like continual condescension, never-ending nit-picky criticism, soapbox preachiness, continuous use of logical fallacies, walls upon walls of text and insulting people (via "clever" puns, nicknames, abbreviations, etc and calling their faculties into question) are supported.

Look people can get as frustrated with me as they want because I lashed out with a direct "assault" and there is always validity to that. I blew up, it was annoying and took up people's time and thread space. However, if you are going to post judgement on someone for being a jerk you really should do so to everyone who engages in that type behavior - regardless of "how" they do it, because it is all bad.

Accountability shouldn't just be about me improving my posting, it should be about the boards equally providing criticism to all people using all types of confrontation or ill-reputed behavior or none at all. If you are going to pass judgment, it should be on all those who are deserving of it - not just the ones where the offense is most easily recognizable and especially not ignore those who never repent on any level for any of their behavior.

Feel free to respond how you like - but I have to go to work. I hope you and everyone else has a nice day.

You justify yourself and your behavior by saying "what I did was bad, but what he does is WAY worse!" That is irrational, the logic of children, but if I say that truth, it's "insulting." You do that which you complain about. You condescend, you insult, you mock, you preach, you accuse (but won't provide evidence), you post walls of text. Accusing others of what you do is hypocrisy. And you can't say "well, sure, I did all that, but HE did it first, so I'm allowed!" Again, that is the reasoning of children.

And if I use the word "hypocrisy", which has become a reactive buzzword, am I being judgmental, condescending, insulting? Or am I saying what is true?

I'm not condemning you for doing those things; how can I? I'm guilty of those same things...we all are.

Have you ever stopped to consider that what you "hear" isn't what is being said? That you "read" insults that aren't meant as such? Probably not. Do you stop and consider the context of the discussion? Probably not. Do you stop and consider the other participants and what their contribution/response/attitude is? Probably not.

No, to you, the problem is me, and only me. Further, this isn't even about the interaction between you and me, because there isn't any interaction between you and me. You're justifying your attack on the perception that other people (or the entire board itself) need "saving" from RMA, never stopping to consider if the board asked for, wanted, or even needs such a "rescue attempt."

Nothing exists in a vacuum, and no one is entirely "guilty" or entirely "innocent."

I doubt you were expecting any pushback to your attack, because you thought you were just saying "what everybody else was thinking, but were too polite to say." Undoubtedly, some agree. But as you found out, not everyone does.

Reason is still reason, and maybe you'll see this as an attempt to reason with you, and maybe you'll see it as passing judgment, condescension, insult. We shall see. I'm sure many will see this as the usual "hot air", and that's fine.

PS. "R-Foy" isn't an insult. It's a transliteration, of a sort, of your user name, rfoiii (which, I suspect, stands for R.F.O. the Third.) But "rfoiii" is a little unwieldy to type, so I shortened it to R-Foy. Yes, it's an attempt to be clever (so is "Blowie", or "Fro", or "RMA"), but if you see some insult there, I'm not sure what it is.

Putting limits on word counts or posts is just another manifestation of "how I post rocks, how you post sucks!"

If the method by which someone communicates bothers you (but they aren't interacting with you), put them on ignore. If it still bothers you, lobby for a "complete" ignore function. When you ignore someone, it doesn't matter if their posts are two words or 50,000. The ignored post takes up the same amount of space on your screen.

If you say "well, I can still see what they're saying when others quote them!" that is 1. an expression of your need to control others, and 2. a great case for the "complete" ignore function.

We are tempesting in teapots, here.

If someone feels it necessary to use many words, in an effort to be understood and not misconstrued, that's not a bad thing. It's why, after all, we have contracts that are 30 pages long.

Okay...here's a summary of what has been discussed so far, along with a link to the post where it was first discussed.

Let me know if I missed anything.

Summary

1) Structure/Format

2) Membership Date and Post Count Transferability

3) Board History Access

4) Search Engine

5) Avatar Size

6) More Emoticons

7) Selective Signature Viewing

8) PM Search Capability

9) More Versatile Ignore Function

10) View & Reply Sorting

11) Mobile Support

12) Profile Notes

13) PM Auto Away Message

14) More Video Embedding Support

15) 50 Word Post Limit

16) Posting Limitations Based on Registration Date/Post Count

17) Themes

18) Daily Post Count Limit Per Thread

19) Post Count Levels Rather Than Actual Number

20) Better *SPOON* Filter

21) Yearly Post Count Limit

22) Auto Spoiler By Post Size

23) Quote/Reply Limited To One Post (Not Up To Ten)

24) Video Chat

Giggles

1) High School Pics of Greggy

2) Custom Title Editor

3) Obliteration Function

4) Pizza Delivery Button

5) N00b Accelerator Option

PS - This list does not imply overall support, feasibility or commitment to implementation; it's simply a summary of what has been discussed so far.

:applause:

For #22 - I think my key suggestion was to cut back the "quote/reply" option to only grabbing one quote not "up to ten"

I'll add a #23 that captures that. The Auto Spoiler you briefly mention in #22 could be important for mobile support.

For #22 - I think my key suggestion was to cut back the "quote/reply" option to only grabbing one quote not "up to ten"

I'll add a #23 that captures that. The Auto Spoiler you briefly mention in #22 could be important for mobile support.

Done.

hm Perhaps, the new forum could limit each post to 50 words or less.

It's interesting that you said this, because someone told me the other day that I was approaching 20k in posts and I should be careful.

I said he was correct, I'd slow down;) I actually considered stopping for a while altogether, but something came up that I thought was important.

Right before you posted your 50 word limit, which may or may not have been a joke;) I was thinking more of something like a max of 3K posts a year...but some people just post a word or two, like Kav and Comicopolis, so that's not really fair.

Maybe a limit of 3,000 posts, or 750,000 characters, which seems like a lot. I multiplied 50x 5 (as an average) times 3,000.

What it would do is make some people chose what they post more carefully and perhaps let others speak up. I really think that some people are intimidated by some of the more prolific posters and they stay silent. It's just a guess, but an educated one because over the years, people have mentioned not wanting to wade into some of the discussions for that reason.

There was talk about real estate with the birthday threads, it should hold true with posts as well.

You'd just have to make a choice as you got closer to the end of your limit, but there should be some kind of rolling character counter that you could check.

Most people would never come anywhere near that limit, so it should not affect them at all.

It might make it more enticing for more people to join in.

You would think I've never posted complete sentences before. :juggle:

hm Perhaps, the new forum could limit each post to 50 words or less.

It's interesting that you said this, because someone told me the other day that I was approaching 20k in posts and I should be careful.

I said he was correct, I'd slow down;) I actually considered stopping for a while altogether, but something came up that I thought was important.

Right before you posted your 50 word limit, which may or may not have been a joke;) I was thinking more of something like a max of 3K posts a year...but some people just post a word or two, like Kav and Comicopolis, so that's not really fair.

Maybe a limit of 3,000 posts, or 750,000 characters, which seems like a lot. I multiplied 50x 5 (as an average) times 3,000.

What it would do is make some people chose what they post more carefully and perhaps let others speak up. I really think that some people are intimidated by some of the more prolific posters and they stay silent. It's just a guess, but an educated one because over the years, people have mentioned not wanting to wade into some of the discussions for that reason.

There was talk about real estate with the birthday threads, it should hold true with posts as well.

You'd just have to make a choice as you got closer to the end of your limit, but there should be some kind of rolling character counter that you could check.

Most people would never come anywhere near that limit, so it should not affect them at all.

It might make it more enticing for more people to join in.

What about people like me who pack a lot of punch into every post.

I realize that not all of my nearly 80K posts are totally awesome but most are.

I used to have delusions of grandeur - but then I got better,

Okay...here's a summary of what has been discussed so far, along with a link to the post where it was first discussed.

Summary

1) Structure/Format

3) Board History Access

4) Search Engine

5) Avatar Size

6) More Emoticons

8) PM Search Capability

10) View & Reply Sorting

11) Mobile Support

12) Profile Notes

13) PM Auto Away Message

15) 50 Word Post Limit

17) Themes

PS - This list does not imply overall support, feasibility or commitment to implementation; it's simply a summary of what has been discussed so far.

You missed a lot of reading between the lines stuff.

Done.

WTF :mad:

Done.

Thanks

(thumbs u

Done.

WTF :mad:

Done.

Thanks

(thumbs u

lol

Summary

1) Structure/Format

3) Board History Access

4) Search Engine

5) Avatar Size

6) More Emoticons

8) PM Search Capability

10) View & Reply Sorting

11) Mobile Support

12) Profile Notes

13) PM Auto Away Message

15) 50 Word Post Limit

17) Themes

Where's the obliterate function?

Summary

1) Structure/Format

3) Board History Access

4) Search Engine

5) Avatar Size

6) More Emoticons

8) PM Search Capability

10) View & Reply Sorting

11) Mobile Support

12) Profile Notes

13) PM Auto Away Message

15) 50 Word Post Limit

17) Themes

Where's the obliterate function?

Somebody is sharpening the edges on the very finest crystal as we type.